3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rundontwalk

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 pm

3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby rundontwalk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm a non-URM. I went to Tech as an undergrad and want to go there for law school considering I've developed ties to the area and what not, and know people who go to the law school. My numbers should be good to get in eh? My only concern is that I did have a rather precipitous fall in grades during one year, going from straight As to multiple Fs. In my final semester I did bring the grades back up somewhat though. I'm worried that this will cause me to be rejected.



Am I in?

User avatar
Dr. Nefario

Gold
Posts: 2862
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm

You should be fine. Your GPA is low, but your LSAT should carry you. Is there a reason in particular you are choosing Tech besides going there for undergrad? Law school should be a calculated decision for future employment and debt. How many times have you taken the LSAT? What year did/will you graduate undergrad? What type of law do you want to practice? These are all questions you should discuss with people here. Getting into a law school is one thing, but whether you should go to that school or not depends on many more factors. But yes, you should be in.

rundontwalk

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby rundontwalk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 pm

I plan on retaking the LSAT to shoot for more scholarship money, assuming I get in. One of the reasons I'd like to go to Tech rather than SMU is the price factor, Tech is more affordable for me. I'd like to practice in Dallas/Fort Worth and Tech does okay there. What kind of law would I like to practice? I don't quite know yet, but I'm thinking work in a firm would be nice.

rundontwalk

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby rundontwalk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:But yes, you should be in.

Even with my noticeable fall (well, way down, then a little back up again) in GPA? That's the thing that worries me.

User avatar
Dr. Nefario

Gold
Posts: 2862
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:13 pm

rundontwalk wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:But yes, you should be in.

Even with my noticeable fall (well, way down, then a little back up again) in GPA? That's the thing that worries me.


Schools don't generally care about rise and fall, the final LSDAS GPA and LSAT is what matters because that's what they report.

Edit: a t14 may care but I doubt Tech would

rundontwalk

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby rundontwalk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks for your responses. My anxiety levels thank you :p.

A@M_or_bust

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 1:16 am

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby A@M_or_bust » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:01 pm

You aren't wanting to do big law, are you? As far as cost, UT is a good price for in-state students and if get your LSAT score up over a 167, you should have a good shot at getting in. UT is ideal because it will give you more options.

User avatar
BasilHallward

Silver
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:03 pm

A@M_or_bust wrote:You aren't wanting to do big law, are you? As far as cost, UT is a good price for in-state students and if get your LSAT score up over a 167, you should have a good shot at getting in. UT is ideal because it will give you more options.



Agreed. Depending on your goals, UT will likely give you much better options. Obviously, you will need crack closer to a 170 for that to happen, but its doable. The difference between a 162 and a 167 is sometimes just jitters/focus. You got this!

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 pm

I think you shouldn't worry at all; you're basically in.

You're at the median for GPA and way over the 75th for LSAT. That's like an automatic acceptance unless they YP but if you write why you really want to go to Tech to them, I'm sure you'll be accepted.

Also, although it might not be necessary since your grades are still high enough, you can write an addendum explaining the drop in grades if it makes you feel better.

User avatar
p1921

Bronze
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby p1921 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:54 am

rundontwalk wrote:I plan on retaking the LSAT to shoot for more scholarship money, assuming I get in. One of the reasons I'd like to go to Tech rather than SMU is the price factor, Tech is more affordable for me. I'd like to practice in Dallas/Fort Worth and Tech does okay there. What kind of law would I like to practice? I don't quite know yet, but I'm thinking work in a firm would be nice.



You'll be fine, but like other posters said you should really branch out away from Tech in your apps. SMU would probably take a substantial scholarship, but UT and maybe even UH will place better in DFW than Tech will. At tech you'll have to be at the top of your class to get opportunities there. I'd be very careful going to Tech with those goals unless you'd be content staying in the west Texas area after graduation.

rundontwalk

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby rundontwalk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi everyone,

LSAC processed my transcripts and my GPA is higher than expected so that was a pleasant surprise. I'm waiting on a LOR but then I'll send in the application. I feel somewhat more confident now.

If I'm applying ED should I still write a ''Why Tech'' essay?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:18 pm

rundontwalk wrote:Hi everyone,

LSAC processed my transcripts and my GPA is higher than expected so that was a pleasant surprise. I'm waiting on a LOR but then I'll send in the application. I feel somewhat more confident now.

If I'm applying ED should I still write a ''Why Tech'' essay?


You shouldn't ED unless they're offering you money.

And you never answered some big questions above. When you said that you wanted to work in "a firm", what kind of firm did you envision?

rundontwalk

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby rundontwalk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
rundontwalk wrote:Hi everyone,

LSAC processed my transcripts and my GPA is higher than expected so that was a pleasant surprise. I'm waiting on a LOR but then I'll send in the application. I feel somewhat more confident now.

If I'm applying ED should I still write a ''Why Tech'' essay?


You shouldn't ED unless they're offering you money.

And you never answered some big questions above. When you said that you wanted to work in "a firm", what kind of firm did you envision?

I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure.

I suppose a lot would depend on how much law school costs me and what kind of salary I'd need to draw in order to pay it down.

User avatar
ggocat

Gold
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby ggocat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm

Don't ED to Tech. Keep your options open.

Yes write the "why X school" essays.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:58 pm

rundontwalk wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
rundontwalk wrote:Hi everyone,

LSAC processed my transcripts and my GPA is higher than expected so that was a pleasant surprise. I'm waiting on a LOR but then I'll send in the application. I feel somewhat more confident now.

If I'm applying ED should I still write a ''Why Tech'' essay?


You shouldn't ED unless they're offering you money.

And you never answered some big questions above. When you said that you wanted to work in "a firm", what kind of firm did you envision?

I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure.

I suppose a lot would depend on how much law school costs me and what kind of salary I'd need to draw in order to pay it down.


Ok, so the first part is good. You probably shouldn't know for sure right now. That's fine.

But the second part is circular reasoning, and it's going to trap you in a bad place 3-4 years from now if you keep it up. The law schools that you will be able to go to for cheap have a good chance at not getting you decent employment out of the gates. And the schools you get into that cost more won't get you a job that can pay off the debt at all.

Without any indication of where you specifically want to work, and since you seem to want to keep biglaw as an option, I'd say you absolutely need to retake and scrap any plans you had of going to Texas Tech. You're not sure what you want to do, but a school like Tech will make your mind up for you: local government, local PI, or local mid-sized firm.

User avatar
ggocat

Gold
Posts: 1824
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 3.3+/162 Texas Tech?

Postby ggocat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
rundontwalk wrote:I suppose a lot would depend on how much law school costs me and what kind of salary I'd need to draw in order to pay it down.


But the second part is circular reasoning, and it's going to trap you in a bad place 3-4 years from now if you keep it up. The law schools that you will be able to go to for cheap have a good chance at not getting you decent employment out of the gates. And the schools you get into that cost more won't get you a job that can pay off the debt at all.

Without any indication of where you specifically want to work, and since you seem to want to keep biglaw as an option, I'd say you absolutely need to retake and scrap any plans you had of going to Texas Tech. You're not sure what you want to do, but a school like Tech will make your mind up for you: local government, local PI, or local mid-sized firm.

I understand OP is saying he/she wants to work at a higher paying firm if he/she is paying a lot for law school. That's a natural desire. But Cavalier is right: if OP gets into a middling school like SMU with no scholarship, that's a huge risk to take for maybe a 20% chance of getting biglaw. I wouldn't do it.

I understand OP is saying he/she doesn't expect biglaw if he/she is going on a full ride to Tech. That's also a fine position, because as Cavalier points out, Tech won't give OP a good chance at those biglaw anwyay.

But if OP can go to Tech relatively debt-free with ties to the area and DFW, Tech is OK if OP is open with his/her employment goals. Obviously "retake and go to UT" is the best advice, but Tech on a full ride seems like a reasonable option for OP with current numbers.



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests