non traditional yet hopeful Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
spedlaw0117

New

non traditional yet hopeful

Post by spedlaw0117 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to hear your thoughts on my stats as of right now. *I have not taken the LSAT yet*

I graduated from a small state university. Summa Cum Laude BA in special education with a minor in entrepreneurship. I was a transfer from a community college to the state school. My overall GPA for my AA was 3.05 and my graduating GPA from the state university was 3.9. I calculated the GPA based on LSAC's formula - 3.5.

I will be applying to a masters in entrepreneurship program soon. While I know that the masters will not be heavily weighted in my law school application, it is something I want to do.

I do not have any formal legal experience. My goals are to get involved with local education policy in order to get exposure and add some weight to my future application.

Like most, I would like to do great on the LSAT and get into a T14 school. I do have some interesting circumstances regarding where I will be applying and that will be a challenge.

Considering my very non-traditional educational background, am I being realistic on getting into a T14 school (depending on LSAT score)?
**In addition, these things may be in my favor.
I am a minority woman, I have been working for several years, and a tad older than typical applicants.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: non traditional yet hopeful

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:15 pm

You literally need an LSAT score. You can pretty much go play around with mylsn to see where you can get with your gpa with random LSAT scores if you want to know, though.

spedlaw0117

New

Post by spedlaw0117 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Welp, guess I'll be back in a while for a second round of "what are my chances" :P

I don't plan on applying until probably a year and a half. Gives me plenty of time to kill the LSAT.
Do you think it would be best to perhaps not pursue the masters yet and just focus on doing well on the LSAT considering my GPA isn't very strong?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:22 pm

spedlaw0117 wrote:Welp, guess I'll be back in a while for a second round of "what are my chances" :P

I don't plan on applying until probably a year and a half. Gives me plenty of time to kill the LSAT.
Do you think it would be best to perhaps not pursue the masters yet and just focus on doing well on the LSAT considering my GPA isn't very strong?
I mean...Your GPA doesn't preclude you from the entirety of the T14, as you can see on mylsn, so perhaps you could take a diagnostic and see where you stand currently to see how much studying you may need. Or you can do your masters and then go to work and then do the lsat.

spedlaw0117

New

Post by spedlaw0117 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a practice test in a few weeks and see where I stand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:45 pm

spedlaw0117 wrote:Hi everyone,

*I have not taken the LSAT yet*

I calculated the GPA based on LSAC's formula - 3.5.

I am a minority woman
For law school admissions, these are the only relevant pieces of information. Your master's GPA won't affect anything for admissions. The fact that you have a master's won't affect anything for admissions. Go get a masters if you want to (but 5 more years of school? Ouch), go if that's somehow the only way you can get to the law job that you want, but understand what is actually important for the admissions process.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Just an addendum to that last post:

No, your graduate GPA doesn't matter. But yes, the fact that you have an advanced degree does help. Will it make or break your application? No. But it certainly helps offset a weak undergraduate GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”