Attention Christian TLSers Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Re: Attention Christian TLSers

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
heythatslife wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote: Of course. You have to work for His will to be completed. God didn't just teleport the Israelites to the promised land and free them from the Pharaoh, they had to go through the process of liberation then traveling through the desert. Similarly, Jonah found himself in the belly of the whale for not taking action.
I don't understand how any of these examples support your point. None of these people ended up where they wanted to be and resisted every inch of the way so God had to drag them there.
It's like the story of Noah's ark. Not the people on the ark, but the people who drowned. There's a lesson there. You better believe every nutjob claiming God spoke to them, or you're going to die and you deserve it.

You're both lost. Very lost.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:29 pm

We lost Jselson and got this guy?! :(

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:30 pm

I think I've responded to enough ignorance in this thread at this point. The troll attempts & genuine stupidity weren't enough to throw me off my zone in the slightest amount.

This thread was for people who are Christians and it was prefaced as such in the topic. If you clicked on it & disagree with what you read then that's your problem. Visit another thread. I'm not backing off the message at all or altering it to fit whatever feels comfortable for you or soothes your insecurities about religion.

Thank you

-Management

Stardust84

New

Post by Stardust84 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Op this is totally legitimate. With all the starving children in Africa who die from parasites everyday, Jesus really really wants you to get a great score on a standardized test. I personally summoned the power of my faith in Zeus on test day. It Worked I crushed it.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:37 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:I think I've responded to enough ignorance in this thread at this point. The troll attempts & genuine stupidity weren't enough to throw me off my zone in the slightest amount.

This thread was for people who are Christians and it was prefaced as such in the topic. If you clicked on it & disagree with what you read then that's your problem. Visit another thread. I'm not backing off the message at all or altering it to fit whatever feels comfortable for you or soothes your insecurities about religion.

Thank you

-Management
I mean it's sort of weird to come online, thrust your beliefs out for the world to see, and then get offended when people don't praise your ideas. Nobody really cares what you believe. This thread is weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Nony I know you can't help yourself but you really don't need to do this:
BigZuck wrote: I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but I'm not sure why you would read something from this OP and think "This dude is sincere."

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=263142
MyNameIsntJames wrote:Good point. But is it possible that I can attract a genuine woman who is of higher caliber due to that? Like maybe she isn't a gold digger, but is such a valuable woman in her own right that she's not gonna just let the mail man hit it.
MyNameIsntJames wrote:I mean shiiiiid...do your online dating prospects at leaset change? I think I've banged at least 4 girls through Twitter alone and I can imagine if I told them "Hey I go to Harvard" or "I happen to make $150k/year" that that would change the whole game.

One of the dumbest things I hear people parrot to folks who have religious beliefs is "Hey dudeeee u can't believe in God because of that one bad thing u did that one time!"

If Christianity made you perfect by virtue, it would undermine the theology of the religion itself. Jesus specifically sought out sinners, fornicators & tax collectors to deliver his message to. Paul used to murder Christians before he was called by God to deliver His message to people. Moses murdered an Egyptian before being called to lead.

The idea that something you did/said in the past invalidating the possibility that you take your religion serious is probably one of the dumber concepts I've heard put forth on these forums.
I think the point they're making is that it's just a little strange for someone that previously made misogynistic remarks about using money and law school prestige to have sex with women is now making a post about Christianity and trusting God's plan for you and all that. Also, misogynistic jokes are generally a hint towards a misogynistic mindset.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: "Asserting Christian supremacy" implies some attempt to impose Christianity on others. The whole thing was directly expressly to Christians, people who already believe. One person's expression of faith doesn't have to be a comment on other people who don't share that faith. (I don't think it's a particularly useful post, but I'm not the target audience.)
I don't think public posts on an open forum get to pick their "target audience" to that degree. More importantly, posts like this (in a world where the OP wasn't a hypocrite/troll) may be directed at Christians, but it inherently implies that other forms of worship, or lack thereof, are inferior.
I mean, the post was directed expressly at Christian TLSers. Plenty of threads are directed at a specific audience here. There is nothing wrong with someone posting a faith-based take on the LSAT here, and the post wasn't implying any problem with other forms of worship/lack thereof, except to the extent it demonstrates that Christians exist and believe that God's will is evident in what happens on this earth. I suppose you could argue that any expression of faith implies the others are inferior simply because the speaker has chosen not to believe in any of the others. But that's getting a little overly sensitive. TLS isn't a state actor and it's not endorsing one religion over another if someone posts something faith-based.

Certainly religious posts could be a problem, but this one isn't, or at least, it's not that problem.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote: For the TLSers out there that have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, know that He will guide you through this process. He can open the doors for you and His will is always a righteous one. I recommend that you strengthen your faith during this LSAT prep/application period. It will give you greater peace of mind, heightened confidence and a greater sense of purpose.
What's your read on divine intervention in favor of those who have accepted Allah as their Savior?

e. just saw this discussion above, this is in no way meant to tie into that and is a genuine question about how to properly align my worship with my goals for the LSAT.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:47 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Nony I know you can't help yourself but you really don't need to do this:
BigZuck wrote: I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but I'm not sure why you would read something from this OP and think "This dude is sincere."

MyNameIsntJames wrote:Good point. But is it possible that I can attract a genuine woman who is of higher caliber due to that? Like maybe she isn't a gold digger, but is such a valuable woman in her own right that she's not gonna just let the mail man hit it.
MyNameIsntJames wrote:I mean shiiiiid...do your online dating prospects at leaset change? I think I've banged at least 4 girls through Twitter alone and I can imagine if I told them "Hey I go to Harvard" or "I happen to make $150k/year" that that would change the whole game.

One of the dumbest things I hear people parrot to folks who have religious beliefs is "Hey dudeeee u can't believe in God because of that one bad thing u did that one time!"

If Christianity made you perfect by virtue, it would undermine the theology of the religion itself. Jesus specifically sought out sinners, fornicators & tax collectors to deliver his message to. Paul used to murder Christians before he was called by God to deliver His message to people. Moses murdered an Egyptian before being called to lead.

The idea that something you did/said in the past invalidating the possibility that you take your religion serious is probably one of the dumber concepts I've heard put forth on these forums.
My point was less "you're a bad Christian" and more "you're a troll"

The Paul/Moses comparisons are not good though, don't do that

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: "Asserting Christian supremacy" implies some attempt to impose Christianity on others. The whole thing was directly expressly to Christians, people who already believe. One person's expression of faith doesn't have to be a comment on other people who don't share that faith. (I don't think it's a particularly useful post, but I'm not the target audience.)
I don't think public posts on an open forum get to pick their "target audience" to that degree. More importantly, posts like this (in a world where the OP wasn't a hypocrite/troll) may be directed at Christians, but it inherently implies that other forms of worship, or lack thereof, are inferior.
I mean, the post was directed expressly at Christian TLSers. Plenty of threads are directed at a specific audience here. There is nothing wrong with someone posting a faith-based take on the LSAT here, and the post wasn't implying any problem with other forms of worship/lack thereof, except to the extent it demonstrates that Christians exist and believe that God's will is evident in what happens on this earth. I suppose you could argue that any expression of faith implies the others are inferior simply because the speaker has chosen not to believe in any of the others. But that's getting a little overly sensitive. TLS isn't a state actor and it's not endorsing one religion over another if someone posts something faith-based.

Certainly religious posts could be a problem, but this one isn't, or at least, it's not that problem.
Smaug must be rolling in his E-grave right now

This totally not real poster is getting a lot of air time just because someone hypothetically might have these real thoughts/make a real post like that

(I don't actually care but this is totally letting the trolls win)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:58 pm

You're too cynical. I don't think there are nearly as many on-topics trolls as you and Smaug do - not everyone who posts weird stuff is a troll. There are a lot of sincerely odd people in the world.

Actually, I'll say to you what I said to smaug - you want to think everyone is a troll because you don't want to think that people who think like this are real.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:59 pm

At the very least tell me what sect I need to belong to OP. Which ones have the best LSAT benefits plan? I'm leaning Catholic, but very flexible.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:08 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote: For the TLSers out there that have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, know that He will guide you through this process. He can open the doors for you and His will is always a righteous one. I recommend that you strengthen your faith during this LSAT prep/application period. It will give you greater peace of mind, heightened confidence and a greater sense of purpose.
What's your read on divine intervention in favor of those who have accepted Allah as their Savior?

e. just saw this discussion above, this is in no way meant to tie into that and is a genuine question about how to properly align my worship with my goals for the LSAT.

Personally I don't adhere to an Islamic philosophy so in MY personal view, I don't believe it facilitates that goal. That's not to say that I believe you are inferior for your beliefs or that I discourage you from pursuing a stronger connection w Allah. I respect that you feel that way. As a non-Islamic person I'm not a good source to give advice of how to advance yourself in that doctrine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:09 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:At the very least tell me what sect I need to belong to OP. Which ones have the best LSAT benefits plan? I'm leaning Catholic, but very flexible.

These are the types of asinine questions which don't warrant a response.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:09 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

Personally I don't adhere to an Islamic philosophy so in MY personal view, I don't believe it facilitates that goal. That's not to say that I believe you are inferior for your beliefs or that I discourage you from pursuing a stronger connection w Allah. I respect that you feel that way. As a non-Islamic person I'm not a good source to give advice of how to advance yourself in that doctrine.
Thanks, though to clarify I'm more of a religious free agent whose looking for the right god to maximize my personal success.

e. though now I feel like kind of a dick because if you're using religion as a means of inward reflection that gives you the confidence to go out and succeed I actually respect that. But maybe you could have framed OP a little bit differently to reflect that and made it more palatable. Suggestion, not critique.
Last edited by UnicornHunter on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:11 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

Thanks, though to clarify I'm more of a religious free agent whose looking for the right god to maximize my personal success.

Wait... What?

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:12 pm

brinicolec wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

Wait... What?
Not sure what was confusing about that. Elaborate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:

I think the point they're making is that it's just a little strange for someone that previously made misogynistic remarks about using money and law school prestige to have sex with women is now making a post about Christianity and trusting God's plan for you and all that. Also, misogynistic jokes are generally a hint towards a misogynistic mindset.

I can understand that. You all must understand I'm a work in progress. I'm 22 years old and still building my faith. This is a lifelong journey and as I've began getting closer to God I've had to really spend a lot of time trying to deprogram certain ways of thinking and break destructive habits. It's not going to happen tomorrow & I am well aware that some of my views & ideas I've expressed on these forums in the past have been inconsistent with that notion. That doesn't lower the validity of my OP for those that adhere to this faith. A stronger connection with God will, in my opinion, yield greater peace of mind & help one to analyze what God's path is for them. I realize many disagree with that notion, but that's why I prefaced the thread with "Attention Christian TLSers" and even told users at the very beginning what this conversation would entail.

To say I'm a hypocrite is a troll in itself. I would be a hypocrite if I told people to follow my example specifically in order to be more Christ-like or if I purported the idea that I am a paragon of Christian behavior. I'm not saying either of those things. I'm just delivering a philosophical reminder to all those who share the same faith as I. I have not iterated any ideas not expressly within the Bible itself.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

Wait... What?
What do you mean the right god to maximize your personal success? Why are you asking him about whose god is the right god for you? Choosing religion should an incredibly personal decision and, if by personal success, you're solely referring to LS stuff, then you're looking into religion for the wrong reason.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You're too cynical. I don't think there are nearly as many on-topics trolls as you and Smaug do - not everyone who posts weird stuff is a troll. There are a lot of sincerely odd people in the world.

Actually, I'll say to you what I said to smaug - you want to think everyone is a troll because you don't want to think that people who think like this are real.
I think this guy is probably (mostly) real but he's definitely posting dumb stuff in the hopes that the thread hits like 8 pages.

I agree with you that "Hey I want big law, should I go to Ave Maria or Cooley?" isn't necessarily a troll even though lots of people will instantly call them a troll. But this poster ain't that. The first post in this thread was a troll post, and right now he's getting fed.

The Jim Halpert gif made me chuckle though so I sincerely don't mind and eagerly look forward to seeing where this goes over the course of the next 5 or so pages

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:17 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

e. though now I feel like kind of a dick because if you're using religion as a means of inward reflection that gives you the confidence to go out and succeed I actually respect that. But maybe you could have framed OP a little bit differently to reflect that and made it more palatable. Suggestion, not critique.

I made that expressly clear in the OP, you just chose to disregard it and make satirical posts that mock a doctrine many people take very seriously because your arrogance has lead you to believe that your views on religion are superior and that therefore gives you the authority to condescendingly antagonize anyone with an opposing philosophy.

The irony of the situation as that those who claim to be "offended" by the expression of other's religious beliefs are the ones who make the most offensive efforts to quell that expression.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:18 pm

brinicolec wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

Wait... What?
What do you mean the right god to maximize your personal success? Why are you asking him about whose god is the right god for you? Choosing religion should an incredibly personal decision and, if by personal success, you're solely referring to LS stuff, then you're looking into religion for the wrong reason.
This guy is trolling bri, don't expect any fruitful discussion here.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Stardust84 wrote:Op this is totally legitimate. With all the starving children in Africa who die from parasites everyday, Jesus really really wants you to get a great score on a standardized test. I personally summoned the power of my faith in Zeus on test day. It Worked I crushed it.
Reading Comprehension skills on 0.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You're too cynical. I don't think there are nearly as many on-topics trolls as you and Smaug do - not everyone who posts weird stuff is a troll. There are a lot of sincerely odd people in the world.

People exist in their boxes Nony where they want everything to agree w their personal beliefs and philosophy and don't want that box to be disturbed. It's the reason why so many people on these forums like to engage in argument non stop.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:23 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:

People exist in their boxes Nony where they want everything to agree w their personal beliefs and philosophy and don't want that box to be disturbed. It's the reason why so many people on these forums like to engage in argument non stop.
I feel like this is the opposite of why you would engage in argument. Challenge everything, smash the idols, etc...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”