Attention Christian TLSers

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Attention Christian TLSers

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:09 pm

I'm not sure if this will get removed, get me reprimanded or whatever but I figured I'd go out on a limb and post this anyway. I think this might resonate with someone.

I was on myLSN recently and I saw a girl with some pretty unremarkable numbers (3.3/160) get some pretty amazing results. I thought, "Wow good for her." But then I saw on her page the very first thing posted in her notes was a scripture and under it she wrote "God is my law school predictor". I realized she was absolutely right.

Your faith in God will help you in this process. I know non-religious TLSers are going to sit here and call me an idiot and say a bunch of derogatory comments about my faith. I don't care. For the TLSers out there that have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, know that He will guide you through this process. He can open the doors for you and His will is always a righteous one. I recommend that you strengthen your faith during this LSAT prep/application period. It will give you greater peace of mind, heightened confidence and a greater sense of purpose.

That's all I really want to say. If you're a believer then I hope this message strengthens you in your studies. I hope you try to get to church when you can and integrate God into your studies by having faith in Him that he will allow things to unfold according to His perfect plan. He will make sure that you are fine and things will happen accordingly.

"Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" - Matthew 6:26-28.

maybeman

Bronze

Re: Attention Christian TLSers

Postby maybeman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 pm

If you get greater confidence and a clearer sense of purpose, go religion! Don't put in too much faith when it comes to the lsat though :wink: . I personally believe exclusively in Roko's Basilisk. 1 boxer for life. Expect to kill my cycle.

heythatslife

Silver

Postby heythatslife » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 pm

That said, I want to add that while God works in mysterious ways and miracles do happen, don't make irresponsible decisions and then put the onus on God to deliver what you want. If you go to a TTT/TTTT law school and end up unemployed, that's on you, not God.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 pm

heythatslife wrote:That said, I want to add that while God works in mysterious ways and miracles do happen, don't make irresponsible decisions and then put the onus on God to deliver what you want. If you go to a TTT/TTTT law school and end up unemployed, that's on you, not God.

+1
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:08 am

The only Lord and Savior I put my faith into is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ALL HAIL HIS NOODLEY APPENDAGE.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 am

As a Christian Scientist, I found that my LSAT PTs didn't start improving until I stopped drilling questions and doing practice tests, and instead substituted my study time with Bible study. Learning the scripture helped me realize that a strong foundation built upon faith would guide me to choosing the correct answers on test day. Come test day, I felt immense calm and walked out of the test feeling accomplished. As a soldier of the Lord I vanquished that test. Upon receiving my LSAT score I realized my faith was rewarded! I learned high enough marks to gain admission to my reach school and was accepted at Liberty University's School of Law.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:17 am

heythatslife wrote:That said, I want to add that while God works in mysterious ways and miracles do happen, don't make irresponsible decisions and then put the onus on God to deliver what you want. If you go to a TTT/TTTT law school and end up unemployed, that's on you, not God.

Of course. You have to work for His will to be completed. God didn't just teleport the Israelites to the promised land and free them from the Pharaoh, they had to go through the process of liberation then traveling through the desert. Similarly, Jonah found himself in the belly of the whale for not taking action. Joshua had to lead the Israelites around Jericho several times etc.

Thank you for bringing this point up though. What I'm saying is that one should work their asses off and also have faith in God that everything will be ok and know that His perfect will is going to send you to the path you were meant to go toward.

Drewcat7

New

Postby Drewcat7 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:20 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:I'm not sure if this will get removed, get me reprimanded or whatever but I figured I'd go out on a limb and post this anyway. I think this might resonate with someone.

I was on myLSN recently and I saw a girl with some pretty unremarkable numbers (3.3/160) get some pretty amazing results. I thought, "Wow good for her." But then I saw on her page the very first thing posted in her notes was a scripture and under it she wrote "God is my law school predictor". I realized she was absolutely right.

Your faith in God will help you in this process. I know non-religious TLSers are going to sit here and call me an idiot and say a bunch of derogatory comments about my faith. I don't care. For the TLSers out there that have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, know that He will guide you through this process. He can open the doors for you and His will is always a righteous one. I recommend that you strengthen your faith during this LSAT prep/application period. It will give you greater peace of mind, heightened confidence and a greater sense of purpose.

That's all I really want to say. If you're a believer then I hope this message strengthens you in your studies. I hope you try to get to church when you can and integrate God into your studies by having faith in Him that he will allow things to unfold according to His perfect plan. He will make sure that you are fine and things will happen accordingly.

"Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" - Matthew 6:26-28.

I'm a Christian, and I'll still call you an idiot. Serious theological problems here. You must be the prosperity gospel/heretic type.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:25 am

Nebby wrote:As a Christian Scientist, I found that my LSAT PTs didn't start improving until I stopped drilling questions and doing practice tests, and instead substituted my study time with Bible study. Learning the scripture helped me realize that a strong foundation built upon faith would guide me to choosing the correct answers on test day. Come test day, I felt immense calm and walked out of the test feeling accomplished. As a soldier of the Lord I vanquished that test. Upon receiving my LSAT score I realized my faith was rewarded! I learned high enough marks to gain admission to my reach school and was accepted at Liberty University's School of Law.

While I agree with the point you're making, this is a dick post and you should feel bad.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drewcat7

New

Postby Drewcat7 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:30 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Nebby wrote:As a Christian Scientist, I found that my LSAT PTs didn't start improving until I stopped drilling questions and doing practice tests, and instead substituted my study time with Bible study. Learning the scripture helped me realize that a strong foundation built upon faith would guide me to choosing the correct answers on test day. Come test day, I felt immense calm and walked out of the test feeling accomplished. As a soldier of the Lord I vanquished that test. Upon receiving my LSAT score I realized my faith was rewarded! I learned high enough marks to gain admission to my reach school and was accepted at Liberty University's School of Law.

While I agree with the point you're making, this is a dick post and you should feel bad.

I think it's hilarious trolololololol

I kept trying to summon Falwell during my LSAT, but he kept referring me to Trump for logic counsel... Needless to say, Trump really screwed me.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 am

Drewcat7 wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:I'm not sure if this will get removed, get me reprimanded or whatever but I figured I'd go out on a limb and post this anyway. I think this might resonate with someone.

I'm a Christian, and I'll still call you an idiot. Serious theological problems here. You must be the prosperity gospel/heretic type.

Lmao no. You think I'm saying "pray and you'll get acceptance into Harvard and a 180!"

What I'm saying is that if you pray and keep your faith strong, God will guide you where you need to be. The cards will fall where they may, but God isn't going to lead you to your destruction. Whatever happens is part of his plan. Maybe you didn't get into your dream school and God would rather you be in a different market because there's some people there you could really touch or maybe its a situation that will lead to a better overall outcome than your alternatives in a way that you couldn't have foreseen.

That's not prosperity gospel, that's basic faith in God. If that sounds theologically unsound or stupid to you, then perhaps its because you don't actually believe in God. In that case, I'd expect every single word of what I'm saying to sound like complete nonsense to you. That's why all the other people who don't believe in God responded the way they did. I'm not mad at it because for a non-believer, its a reasonable reaction. Without understanding how great God is or what He can do in your life when you put your faith in Him, things associated with Him will sound 'idiotic'.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

Can't make a pig feel bad for rolling in mud.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:02 am

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

Your original post left you with the high ground, but now you have deigned to roll with him.

Why is it that people can't just respect the belief or non-belief of others?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:23 am

All speech is allowed*; no speech is safe from ridicule.

OP can believe what he wants. And when he publicly declares it and proselytizes on a law school forum, he's opening himself to whatever response people feel like. Honestly Merkin I thought you'd be on this side of the argument

*obvious exceptions apply

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

Your original post left you with the high ground, but now you have deigned to roll with him.

Why is it that people can't just respect the belief or non-belief of others?

My statement isn't about his belief. His post was disrespectful. You told him he should feel bad and I said that's like trying to make a pig feel bad for rolling in mud. That analogy means you can't make someone feel bad for doing what is truly in their nature. It's not an insult, it's just true.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Postby MyNameIsntJames » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:51 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:All speech is allowed*; no speech is safe from ridicule.

OP can believe what he wants. And when he publicly declares it and proselytizes on a law school forum, he's opening himself to whatever response people feel like. Honestly Merkin I thought you'd be on this side of the argument

You're right. I don't mind it because those people are just outing themselves out as disrespectful or religiously intolerant, which is really an immature and unevolved mindset for someone to have. Mocking someone for their belief in religion is really like the adult version of busting out laughing every time you hear the word boobies. Tactful, developed individuals have the ability to be exposed to views that contradict their personal philosophy without having a visceral response to it.

So yes, if people want to declare to the world "I'm a child that is too egocentric and immature to respect people's religious beliefs" by insulting me then they can feel free lol.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:04 am

I was raised in a religious household and most of my extended family is pretty devout, while I am not, so I'm sensitive to BOTH SIDES of this issue. It irks me when people are mocked for their faith, as well as when religious people start judging those who believe differently than them or not at all. I didn't read the OP as proselytizing, especially given the thread title and the content of the OP. It was directed at those who already believe, not trying to convert those who don't.

If OP's faith helps get him through the day, then more power to him. I can certainly see the appeal of believing that there's an all powerful being looking out for you with a plan. Chaos can be rather intimidating. I don't personally subscribe to such a belief because I couldn't square it with reality, but I'm not going to mock those who find strength or reassurance in such things. I expect similar respect from folks who hold those beliefs when I politely disagree.

tl;dr: I don't think mutual respect is too much to ask here.

ETA: Reread OP. Religious MyLSN girl still should have used her retakes though.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:tl;dr: I don't think mutual respect is too much to ask here.

Hi welcome to TLS you must be new here

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:14 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:tl;dr: I don't think mutual respect is too much to ask here.

Hi welcome to TLS you must be new here

I'm just going to leave this here so I can find it later.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 am

What is your point OP? You led with the the anecdote about somebody who over performed her numbers and attributed it to her faith. Then you backed off and said that faith won't get you into your dream schools and that god has a plan regardless of where you end up. So what was the point of the first anecdote? Are you claiming that god helps with law school admissions, that god has a plan that he will execute for you regardless of your numbers, or that god is going to do something else?
Last edited by Dcc617 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:21 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

I was raised in a religious household and most of my extended family is pretty devout, while I am not, so I'm sensitive to BOTH SIDES of this issue. It irks me when people are mocked for their faith, as well as when religious people start judging those who believe differently than them or not at all. I didn't read the OP as proselytizing, especially given the thread title and the content of the OP. It was directed at those who already believe, not trying to convert those who don't.

If OP's faith helps get him through the day, then more power to him. I can certainly see the appeal of believing that there's an all powerful being looking out for you with a plan. Chaos can be rather intimidating. I don't personally subscribe to such a belief because I couldn't square it with reality, but I'm not going to mock those who find strength or reassurance in such things. I expect similar respect from folks who hold those beliefs when I politely disagree.

tl;dr: I don't think mutual respect is too much to ask here.

ETA: Reread OP. Religious MyLSN girl still should have used her retakes though.

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but I'm not sure why you would read something from this OP and think "This dude is sincere."

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=263142
MyNameIsntJames wrote:Good point. But is it possible that I can attract a genuine woman who is of higher caliber due to that? Like maybe she isn't a gold digger, but is such a valuable woman in her own right that she's not gonna just let the mail man hit it.

MyNameIsntJames wrote:I mean shiiiiid...do your online dating prospects at leaset change? I think I've banged at least 4 girls through Twitter alone and I can imagine if I told them "Hey I go to Harvard" or "I happen to make $150k/year" that that would change the whole game.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:22 am

Can OP link is to the person who over-performed? I'm willing to test my faith

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:34 am

BigZuck wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but I'm not sure why you would read something from this OP and think "This dude is sincere."

MyNameIsntJames wrote:Good point. But is it possible that I can attract a genuine woman who is of higher caliber due to that? Like maybe she isn't a gold digger, but is such a valuable woman in her own right that she's not gonna just let the mail man hit it.

MyNameIsntJames wrote:I mean shiiiiid...do your online dating prospects at leaset change? I think I've banged at least 4 girls through Twitter alone and I can imagine if I told them "Hey I go to Harvard" or "I happen to make $150k/year" that that would change the whole game.

Well, in light of new evidence, OP appears to be a disingenuous douchebag.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:36 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but I'm not sure why you would read something from this OP and think "This dude is sincere."

Well, in light of new evidence, OP appears to be a disingenuous douchebag.

Dammit. I knew I recognized that username.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 am

OP, I'm glad your faith helps you. I'm just saying that it won't help alone.

First, you gotta stay focused.

This world will tear you down, demotivate you, crush your spirit, tell you you're worthless, punish you to the maximum for the tiniest slip ups and mistakes but you must still rise. I firmly believe that it is only in adversity that you can truly determine a man's spirit. Do you possess the spirit of a lion? Or the spirit of a quitter? Are you someone that will overcome their problems and be greater? Or will you allow life to beat you up.

Your girlfriend/boyfriend just broke up with you? Fuck them. They were too ignorant and small-minded to wrap their heads around the greatness that you are. You just got fired from your job? They didn't know how to utilize your talents and abilities. You are truly bigger than your problems. Every tragedy, setback and knock down is just another opportunity for you to rise as a more resilient, intelligent and matured individual. Diamonds are formed from coal under pressure*. You are a piece of coal being molded by pressure. A caterpillar that has not fully woven its cocoon in order to grow into the beautiful butterfly it truly is. The protagonist of your own novel that has yet to save the village and be crowned as the rightful heir to the throne.

We see examples of this everywhere in society from sports, the professional world, entertainment, etc. The winners in life are the ones who persevere. No one is born a winner, you become a winner. Every success story is created by someone. Create your own story too. You have the ability to do ANYTHING you set your mind to. Stop making up excuses of why you won't achieve your dreams. Stop drumming up statistics and likelihoods and downplaying your abilities to convince yourself that you can't do something. Fuck those thoughts. You can do ANYTHING. You need to beat those thoughts. You are your single biggest obstacle to success. Not life. Not your girlfriend. Not your job. Not law school. Not your physical orientation or any of your other God-given features. Nope. Just you yourself, your mind. The second you fall into the thinking of "There's no way I can ______" you lost. Period. You might as well just give up from that point onward because there's no way you'll still obtain success.

You must have an irrational belief and faith in yourself that no one else will have on this planet. If you're looking around for some validation from someone else that you're great then you've already lost too. No one's gonna believe in you. I don't care if its your Mom, Dad, your dog or whatever. They'll tell "Yeah Johnny you can do it!" because they want to be supportive. The only one who will truly believe in your own greatness is YOU. You need to make sure that you never ever stop believing. I don't care how stupid it sounds or how implausible.

If you're studying for the LSAT, study to get a 180. I don't care if you're PT'ing a fucking 157 everyday. Your goal is a 180. And you're going to get a 180. Period. That should be the only mentality you have. If you didn't get a 180 when you took it that just means you needed more time to prepare. Simple as that. The second you've allowed yourself to think "Man I'm not smart enough to do ______" then you lost. There should be nothing that you consider outside the realm of your abilities. Hell yeah you're smart. You need to know that though. Don't ever forget. You're a superstar, you're amazing and you are ONE OF A KIND. No one else is like you. No one else has been through what you've been through. No one has felt the pain that you have, the ups and downs, the doubts, fears and insecurities that you've had to conquer to even make it this far. Don't stop now. Don't stop BELIEVINNNNNNN *journey voice*.

Return to “What are my chances??