Not Sure What's Going to Happen...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
2ndchance

New

Not Sure What's Going to Happen...

Postby 2ndchance » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:19 pm

I have a question that I thought someone might be able to answer for me.

I very much would like to attend law school next year, hopefully in the Fall (2017). I, however, have what some would call a less than stellar academic past. I've been working on my undergrad for about ten years, transferred schools a few times, and changed my major just as many. The good news is, I am scheduled to graduate at the end of this year. Long story short, I found out I have a learning disability and as a result, my grades have been awful (~2.3 GPA). About three years ago my wife and I moved and out of necessity I have just been working. Last year, however, I started school again and currently have a 4.0 GPA. From what I've been told, when I graduate my grades post transfer will be what is reflected in my degree. If I keep this up until graduation, I'll graduate with honors but will it even matter?

My question is this.... Will my cumulative GPA be taken into account when applying to schools, or will the grades I have earned since transferring and completing my degree be the one's evaluated?

Do situations such as being a professional athlete in the past or having a great work resume hold any weight with schools?

I'm very confident that I'll do well on the LSAT as I've done well with the practice.

Thank you in advance for all of you help!
Last edited by 2ndchance on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Not Sure What's Going to Happen...

Postby Mikey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Admissions committees will see your upward trend in GPA. But to answer your question, every single grade/credit that you earned since you began college up until you are awarded your first bachelors degree will count.

2ndchance

New

Postby 2ndchance » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:53 pm

TheMikey wrote:Admissions committees will see your upward trend in GPA. But to answer your question, every single grade/credit that you earned since you began college up until you are awarded your first bachelors degree will count.

Thank you very much for the reply. How much weight does this upward trend hold? Is there any way of telling what type of school I'd be able to attend if I scored fairly high on my LSAT?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:05 pm

2ndchance wrote:
TheMikey wrote:Admissions committees will see your upward trend in GPA. But to answer your question, every single grade/credit that you earned since you began college up until you are awarded your first bachelors degree will count.

Thank you very much for the reply. How much weight does this upward trend hold? Is there any way of telling what type of school I'd be able to attend if I scored fairly high on my LSAT?

To my knowledge, an upward trend won't give you an advantage but it could potentially be of some benefit, but I'm not entirely sure. Given your college history, we can't really say what your chances would be since we don't know what your LSAC GPA will be. Either way, focus on doing very well on the LSAT, because from the looks of it you will be a splitter if you score high on the LSAT, that is. Splitters (low GPA, high LSAT) are pretty unpredictable when it comes to guessing your chances, but there are some splitters around this forum, so when you get your LSAT score and have your LSAC calculated GPA, you can come back and ask for your chances.

oidsedidy

New

Postby oidsedidy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:00 am

Schools will see what LSAC calculates your GPA to be. Your story is not so uncommon- and I think if you do well on the LSAT you will be able to go to most schools (assuming you keep your current grades up). What will will be troublesome, however, is getting as much money from schools as you would like. I have a few friends whose experiences were similar to yours- one had a 1.9 and dropped out of UG, then returned to school about 7 years later and finished with a 4.0. Another one of my friends graduated UG with something in the high 2s. Both scored over 170 and had no trouble getting in to our school, but they didn't get nearly as much money as they otherwise would have.

oidsedidy

New

Postby oidsedidy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:03 am

2ndchance wrote:

Sorry- forgot that my post didn't actually address this question! For context, neither of my splitter friends is an URM, and 75th percentile at my school is anything over 169. This means that if you maintain your grades and score somewhere in the low to mid 170s you would have a reasonable chance of getting into my school (and presumably peer schools) with a little money to boot. In other words, I think you would have a decent shot at the lower end of T14 and everything underneath.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 am

Not your main question, but I wanted to point out that starting in the spring isn't usually an option. Michigan has a summer start, I think, but other than that the only schools I'm aware of that let students start in the spring are not very good schools at all.

2ndchance

New

Postby 2ndchance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not your main question, but I wanted to point out that starting in the spring isn't usually an option. Michigan has a summer start, I think, but other than that the only schools I'm aware of that let students start in the spring are not very good schools at all.

Not sure why I said spring, I meant to say fall.... I will edit the post.

2ndchance

New

Postby 2ndchance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:22 am

oidsedidy wrote:Schools will see what LSAC calculates your GPA to be. Your story is not so uncommon- and I think if you do well on the LSAT you will be able to go to most schools (assuming you keep your current grades up). What will will be troublesome, however, is getting as much money from schools as you would like. I have a few friends whose experiences were similar to yours- one had a 1.9 and dropped out of UG, then returned to school about 7 years later and finished with a 4.0. Another one of my friends graduated UG with something in the high 2s. Both scored over 170 and had no trouble getting in to our school, but they didn't get nearly as much money as they otherwise would have.

It feels very good to read this! Thank you very much for the insight.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Super curious.....what sport did you play professionally?

Return to “What are my chances??