3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gonzguy

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:03 am

3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby gonzguy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:15 am

Hello everyone,

First off thank you for all of the advice and posts on these forums--it's been really helpful to read through several of the topics on TLS.

I am a summa cum laude graduate from a top private (non-ivy) university with a few named scholarships and thesis award. I was unable to fully crack the lsat, but I have some interesting softs (I'm Cuban, which I know is not a URM though could provide a moderate boost at schools hurting for hispanic applicants) + work experience in an uncommon field.

I know YHS are out of reach (especially HY), and I'm really shooting for Duke or UVA. Do you think, given my stats, it would be best to ED one of these schools? I know that doing that would hamstring my ability to negotiate scholarships, but would the odds of admission be very remote without applying ED? I have checked law school numbers and other services, but these range with my stats from 20-50%, and it's difficult to get a grasp on how much being cuban may help me given that I'm not a URM but both Duke and UVA are less than 5% hispanic. In short, should I ED Duke or UVA? Or should I apply early across several t14 including Stanford and see what happens?

Thank you.

Hornet2011

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby Hornet2011 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:25 am

It depends on your risk tolerance. If you were to ED to one of those schools, there is a 99% chance you are paying sticker. In my opinion, there is no point to applying ED unless you are 100% ok paying that cost. Idk your financial situation, but in the vast majority of cases that would be a poor decision.

If you haven't taken all your LSAT attempts then do so. Otherwise, if you have the funds and really don't care and it is T14 or bust, why not. However, you probably should not and if the 166 is the best you have and you're not dead set on a T14 and can achieve your goals elsewhere, that is probably what you should consider doing.

User avatar
oidsedidy

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby oidsedidy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:16 am

Can you explain why you are shooting hard for Duke/UVA? I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay sticker at either school, so without more context I would strongly recommend against ED to either.

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2322
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 am

Retake. Even a couple points would be huge for you.

jp1447

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:08 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby jp1447 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:55 am

I gave up sticker at a higher school to go to Duke with some money. It was a great move for me. If I were you, I'd consider applying regular down the T14, unless you're super rich. I say super rich because I've remember years ago when everyone eventually learned at Duke what kids in the top 10 paid full, etc. I think some kids that went in happily paying sticker (or their parents I should say) ended up feeling slightly cheated when they saw/heard about a lot of average to below average law students getting $.

So, if I were you, consider your goals: if you want big law apply down the list and take the lowest cost of attendance that fits with your goals. Even if you're dad runs hedgefunds, I would consider the financial implications. Personally, it was nice (for me at least) to know that I was on a scholarship when times were tough 1L.

gonzguy

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:03 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby gonzguy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 am

oidsedidy wrote:Can you explain why you are shooting hard for Duke/UVA? I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay sticker at either school, so without more context I would strongly recommend against ED to either.


This is a good point. Unfortunately, I have taken all of my lsat attempts. I am interested in Duke and UVA because I'd like to go to the best national school that still feeds the south and DC to some degree. Both Duke and UVA have strong clerkship placement as well--something I'll be pursuing. I am not super wealthy so paying sticker would be a huge downside, but I am just wondering what sort of value would be lost in not attending a school with the same opportunities/reputation as Duke or UVA.

For instance if I am able to gain admission into Vanderbilt--a great law school by all accounts, it seems that my job opportunities will be confined to the south (I realize that I just said I'd like to practice in the south, I just like the idea of national options to choose from). I do not want to work in biglaw, I'd really like to work for the ACLU or a similar organization (I know it is difficult to secure employment outside of HYS with this sort of outfit, I also know the pay would not make any sort of dent in loans that were sticker from Duke or UVA).

This is my list:

Stanford
Duke
UVA
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Cornell
Georgetown
UNC
Berkeley

Thank you for the comments everyone.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:06 pm

gonzguy wrote:
oidsedidy wrote:Can you explain why you are shooting hard for Duke/UVA? I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay sticker at either school, so without more context I would strongly recommend against ED to either.


This is a good point. Unfortunately, I have taken all of my lsat attempts. I am interested in Duke and UVA because I'd like to go to the best national school that still feeds the south and DC to some degree. Both Duke and UVA have strong clerkship placement as well--something I'll be pursuing. I am not super wealthy so paying sticker would be a huge downside, but I am just wondering what sort of value would be lost in not attending a school with the same opportunities/reputation as Duke or UVA.

For instance if I am able to gain admission into Vanderbilt--a great law school by all accounts, it seems that my job opportunities will be confined to the south (I realize that I just said I'd like to practice in the south, I just like the idea of national options to choose from). I do not want to work in biglaw, I'd really like to work for the ACLU or a similar organization (I know it is difficult to secure employment outside of HYS with this sort of outfit, I also know the pay would not make any sort of dent in loans that were sticker from Duke or UVA).

This is my list:

Stanford
Duke
UVA
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Cornell
Georgetown
UNC
Berkeley

Thank you for the comments everyone.


Dude, you aren't getting ACLU given your numbers. People who finish top 10% at Harvard aren't guaranteed that kind of impact litigation employment. So, if that's truly your goal, retake for a 175+ and gun HYS. Period.

Second, ED is a financially disastrous decision for someone who explicitly states they have zero interest in biglaw. The only people I can see an argument for ED existing are those who have a wealthy uncle who's footing the whole bill and doesn't give a shit, or people who have a wealthy Uncle Sam willing to do the same (GI Bill at 100%).

You don't have either of those things going for you. Run as fast as your legs will carry you from an ED decision. Get thee to an LSAT study sesh, and retake in Sept.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Yeah, reality check time:

Stanford isn't even in the cards for you. You will not get it, period. The lower half of the T14 will be in reach, but the only one you should even consider ED at is Northwestern. ED anywhere else practically guarantees that you'll pay sticker price.

You have not used up your LSAT attempts. You would just have to wait a year before trying again. And if your ultimate goal is the most competitive of competitive PI work, then you need to retake and give yourself a chance to get in to schools that actually place their graduates in that.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:21 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
gonzguy wrote:
oidsedidy wrote:Can you explain why you are shooting hard for Duke/UVA? I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay sticker at either school, so without more context I would strongly recommend against ED to either.


This is a good point. Unfortunately, I have taken all of my lsat attempts. I am interested in Duke and UVA because I'd like to go to the best national school that still feeds the south and DC to some degree. Both Duke and UVA have strong clerkship placement as well--something I'll be pursuing. I am not super wealthy so paying sticker would be a huge downside, but I am just wondering what sort of value would be lost in not attending a school with the same opportunities/reputation as Duke or UVA.

For instance if I am able to gain admission into Vanderbilt--a great law school by all accounts, it seems that my job opportunities will be confined to the south (I realize that I just said I'd like to practice in the south, I just like the idea of national options to choose from). I do not want to work in biglaw, I'd really like to work for the ACLU or a similar organization (I know it is difficult to secure employment outside of HYS with this sort of outfit, I also know the pay would not make any sort of dent in loans that were sticker from Duke or UVA).

This is my list:

Stanford
Duke
UVA
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Cornell
Georgetown
UNC
Berkeley

Thank you for the comments everyone.


Dude, you aren't getting ACLU given your numbers. People who finish top 10% at Harvard aren't guaranteed that kind of impact litigation employment. So, if that's truly your goal, retake for a 175+ and gun HYS. Period.

Second, ED is a financially disastrous decision for someone who explicitly states they have zero interest in biglaw. The only people I can see an argument for ED existing are those who have a wealthy uncle who's footing the whole bill and doesn't give a shit, or people who have a wealthy Uncle Sam willing to do the same (GI Bill at 100%).

You don't have either of those things going for you. Run as fast as your legs will carry you from an ED decision. Get thee to an LSAT study sesh, and retake in Sept.


OP said he used all of his LSAT attempts I think. I suppose he could always sit out a couple cycles and retake in 2 years, but I would understand if he doesn't want to do that. Don't ED with those numbers, you should be able to get something RD and then possibly some money.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oidsedidy

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby oidsedidy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 pm

If your goal is PI- here are some words of advice. First, be prepared for your goals to change. I was full-blown "I only want to do PI I don't want to be a cog in the machine, etc." and then I went to law school; things change. Second, understand that PI, for the most part, is very regional in nature. People who are dedicated to PI are not snobs about it- I am not at all suggesting that you are- but they will work with whatever organizations they can in order to get their foot in the door. ACLU, SPLC, etc., are goals for everyone in PI but at the end of the day you find work where you can.

In regards to your interest in clerking- once again this is an area that is so overwhelmingly competitive that it probably shouldn't factor too heavily into your decision-making. I say this as someone who, like you, always kept the goal of landing a clerkship in mind before even applying to law school. The single most critical factor in determining what you do will not be where you go to school; it will be your grades. People will disagree with me- pointing out that the top 10% at Cardozo will never have the same opportunities as the bottom 10% at Columbia- but I am saying this with respect to you specifically, because you will wind up at a very good school. Bottom 10%, bottom quarter, bottom half- the people who fall into these percentiles are not getting clerkships, period. You cannot reasonably anticipate where you will land on the curve, so please do not take on 300k+ in debt for a small shot at landing a clerkship.

If you truly have exhausted all of your LSATs and for whatever reason are no longer in a position to wait (such a person is rare, but I'm sympathetic to the idea that he/she exists) then do not ED anywhere- there is no reason to do so that comports with your goals.

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
gonzguy wrote:
oidsedidy wrote:Can you explain why you are shooting hard for Duke/UVA? I don't think there is a compelling reason to pay sticker at either school, so without more context I would strongly recommend against ED to either.


This is a good point. Unfortunately, I have taken all of my lsat attempts. I am interested in Duke and UVA because I'd like to go to the best national school that still feeds the south and DC to some degree. Both Duke and UVA have strong clerkship placement as well--something I'll be pursuing. I am not super wealthy so paying sticker would be a huge downside, but I am just wondering what sort of value would be lost in not attending a school with the same opportunities/reputation as Duke or UVA.

For instance if I am able to gain admission into Vanderbilt--a great law school by all accounts, it seems that my job opportunities will be confined to the south (I realize that I just said I'd like to practice in the south, I just like the idea of national options to choose from). I do not want to work in biglaw, I'd really like to work for the ACLU or a similar organization (I know it is difficult to secure employment outside of HYS with this sort of outfit, I also know the pay would not make any sort of dent in loans that were sticker from Duke or UVA).

This is my list:

Stanford
Duke
UVA
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Cornell
Georgetown
UNC
Berkeley

Thank you for the comments everyone.


Dude, you aren't getting ACLU given your numbers. People who finish top 10% at Harvard aren't guaranteed that kind of impact litigation employment. So, if that's truly your goal, retake for a 175+ and gun HYS. Period.

Second, ED is a financially disastrous decision for someone who explicitly states they have zero interest in biglaw. The only people I can see an argument for ED existing are those who have a wealthy uncle who's footing the whole bill and doesn't give a shit, or people who have a wealthy Uncle Sam willing to do the same (GI Bill at 100%).

You don't have either of those things going for you. Run as fast as your legs will carry you from an ED decision. Get thee to an LSAT study sesh, and retake in Sept.


OP said he used all of his LSAT attempts I think. I suppose he could always sit out a couple cycles and retake in 2 years, but I would understand if he doesn't want to do that. Don't ED with those numbers, you should be able to get something RD and then possibly some money.


Yeah, seems like he did worse on RC than I did :lol:

But I agree, don't do ED. Your numbers are similar to mine (3.86, 165, but I'm also MA) and as long as you can write a kick ass personal statement, you have a chance to get into these places.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:20 am

lolRCscrewyou wrote: Yeah, seems like he did worse on RC than I did :lol:


Garbage comment. You can always retake. Sure, you might have to wait a year or two but if OP is deadset on doing impact lit at the ACLU or SPLC, then that's what s/he is going to have to do. Full stop end of story.

That point being made, you'll do well in law school. The snarky passive aggressive trope is so cliched it's almost not even worth addressing. 8)

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:02 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Yeah, seems like he did worse on RC than I did :lol:


Garbage comment. You can always retake. Sure, you might have to wait a year or two but if OP is deadset on doing impact lit at the ACLU or SPLC, then that's what s/he is going to have to do. Full stop end of story.

That point being made, you'll do well in law school. The snarky passive aggressive trope is so cliched it's almost not even worth addressing. 8)


Well, read a comment in full before you come out of the gates guns blazing about how OP will most likely never achieve their dreams. I understand mistakes or overlooking something, but when you say something that harsh and get an important fact wrong, you will be called out for it.

Edit: Thanks for your confidence in my abilities. It's very much appreciated 8) Good luck to you too, bud.
Last edited by lolRCscrewyou on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:20 am

Since you used all your LSAT attempts, you have two options: one is sitting out a couple cycles, the other is coming to terms with the fact that some of those schools on your list might not belong on your list because of your LSAT score, namely Stanford, as was said before.

Also, there's a blog post from 2015 cycle I found the other day that talks about different colleges and whether or not they give an ED boost on this site: http://admissionsbythenumbers.com

Based on the post, UVA ED gets LESS money than if they'd just waited and it doesn't say anything about Duke giving less or more money ED, so I'm going to assume that means there's not really any perk money-wise there. Like others said, one problem with ED is since it's binding (well, most of them are), you don't really get any chance to negotiate.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

lolRCscrewyou wrote:Your numbers are similar to mine (3.86, 165, but I'm also MA) and as long as you can write a kick ass personal statement, you have a chance to get into these places.


Way to bury the lead.

Cubans are generally considered to not count as URMs. Mexican-Americans do count as URMs. So your results are not at all indicative of what the OP is going to be looking at, regardless of how "kick-ass" their personal statement is.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:41 am

lolRCscrewyou wrote: Well, read a comment in full before you come out of the gates guns blazing about how OP will most likely never achieve their dreams. I understand mistakes or overlooking something, but when you say something that harsh and get an important fact wrong, you will be called out for it.

Edit: Thanks for your confidence in my abilities. It's very much appreciated 8) Good luck to you too, bud.


OP's comments were read in full. And understood in full. Including the fact that you can ALWAYS retake. ALWAYS!

Unlike you who'd rather blow rainbows and sunshine up OP's ass (and give him patently absurd advice such as your URM numbers being indicative of his future outcome), I'm actually giving him the step-by-step of how to achieve his dreams of impact litigation. He needs to retake and reapply. It might be the harsh truth, but it's the damn truth.

So spare me your lecturing, child. You embarrass yourself.

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 am

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Well, read a comment in full before you come out of the gates guns blazing about how OP will most likely never achieve their dreams. I understand mistakes or overlooking something, but when you say something that harsh and get an important fact wrong, you will be called out for it.

Edit: Thanks for your confidence in my abilities. It's very much appreciated 8) Good luck to you too, bud.


OP's comments were read in full. And understood in full. Including the fact that you can ALWAYS retake. ALWAYS!

Unlike you who'd rather blow rainbows and sunshine up OP's ass (and give him patently absurd advice such as your URM numbers being indicative of his future outcome), I'm actually giving him the step-by-step of how to achieve his dreams of impact litigation. He needs to retake and reapply. It might be the harsh truth, but it's the damn truth.

So spare me your lecturing, child. You embarrass yourself.


Lol okay hun. Application cycles aren't black and white, and I'll blow rainbows before blowing the salt youre putting up their ass. Seriously, chill the eff out bro.

Anyhoo, I'm done here with your salty attitude and "advice". Good luck on your second LSAT though (probably third after that).

And OP, direct your personal statement towards how being Cuban has influenced your life and why it made you chose law school. Highlighting your Hispanic background will help you more than being any other non-URM would, especially at schools hurting for Hispanics. Good luck friend :)
Last edited by lolRCscrewyou on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:03 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote: Lol okay hun. Application cycles aren't black and white, and I'll blow rainbows before blowing the salt youre putting up their ass. Seriously, chill the eff out bro.


Uhhh...they kinda are though. :lol: As are the ways to go about maximizing your odds of getting impact lit as your 4L job. Your recommended way is either going to put OP in a ton of debt or in a position he can't actualize his desired outcome. You might call that kind. I call that fisting someone with a naive smile on your face.

I have zero interest in chilling out while you pass along patently life-devastating misinformation. It's not kind. It's not polite. It's fuckery...plain and simple.

You're cleared off.

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:05 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Lol okay hun. Application cycles aren't black and white, and I'll blow rainbows before blowing the salt youre putting up their ass. Seriously, chill the eff out bro.


Uhhh...they kinda are though. :lol: As are the ways to go about maximizing your odds of getting impact lit as your 4L job. Your recommended way is either going to put OP in a ton of debt or in a position he can't actualize his desired outcome. You might call that kind. I call that fisting someone with a naive smile on your face.

I have zero interest in chilling out while you pass along patently life-devastating misinformation. It's not kind. It's not polite. It's fuckery...plain and simple.

You're cleared off.


Applying with a over a 3.8 and 166 is life devastating? You really need to set your priorities straight, they are so skewed its actually frightening.

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:15 pm

http://mylsn.info/7k155t/

They aren't very pretty, but I know you expressed interest in Duke. While your chances arent super great for other t-14s, those numbers at Duke aren't too bad, same goes for Cornell and Georgetown. If have good softs, you may be one of the lucky few who can snag NYU, Berkeley, and Michigan with your numbers. If you ultimately choose HYS or bust though or don't have strong softs, you know what to do.......

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:16 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Lol okay hun. Application cycles aren't black and white, and I'll blow rainbows before blowing the salt youre putting up their ass. Seriously, chill the eff out bro.


Uhhh...they kinda are though. :lol: As are the ways to go about maximizing your odds of getting impact lit as your 4L job. Your recommended way is either going to put OP in a ton of debt or in a position he can't actualize his desired outcome. You might call that kind. I call that fisting someone with a naive smile on your face.

I have zero interest in chilling out while you pass along patently life-devastating misinformation. It's not kind. It's not polite. It's fuckery...plain and simple.

You're cleared off.


Applying with a over a 3.8 and 166 is life devastating? You really need to set your priorities straight, they are so skewed its actually frightening.


Uhhh, yes. If your goal is to gun ACLU, SPLC, etc., then those numbers are completely inadequate to achieve OP's stated goals. He will either end up with life-crippling debt while attempting to stretch into a school with an outside shot, or never getting where he wants to be period.

If his goal was to get into a lower T-14 and shoot for biglaw, sure...knock yourself out.

What's really happening here is you wanted a chance to brag about your numbers/outcomes and get a little self-aggrandizement going on. So, you chose to "look at me and my outcome" in this thread and misrepresent OP's options. (Call it outcome-whoring...TLS's version of picwhoring.) It's disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself. Potentially giving ruinous, inapplicable advice to someone just so you can feel like internet strangers are impressed by your middling numbers and outsized outcomes.

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:18 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Lol okay hun. Application cycles aren't black and white, and I'll blow rainbows before blowing the salt youre putting up their ass. Seriously, chill the eff out bro.


Uhhh...they kinda are though. :lol: As are the ways to go about maximizing your odds of getting impact lit as your 4L job. Your recommended way is either going to put OP in a ton of debt or in a position he can't actualize his desired outcome. You might call that kind. I call that fisting someone with a naive smile on your face.

I have zero interest in chilling out while you pass along patently life-devastating misinformation. It's not kind. It's not polite. It's fuckery...plain and simple.

You're cleared off.


Applying with a over a 3.8 and 166 is life devastating? You really need to set your priorities straight, they are so skewed its actually frightening.


Telling someone, "You can do it because I did," is patently dangerous advice when you put that person in a position to apply and fail, or worse, apply and get no scholarship money when they get in off the wait list at a school that can actually get them their goals. It's especially bad because you're well aware that your application situation was different, yet you're still insisting that it won't impact the OP.

The OP wants to have a chance at highly competitive work, and to get that, they need to go to a top-ranked school. Their current stats will not get them in, and if they did get in through some miracle of chance, they wouldn't get money. They need to retake if they want the career they laid out in the thread.

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:29 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Lol okay hun. Application cycles aren't black and white, and I'll blow rainbows before blowing the salt youre putting up their ass. Seriously, chill the eff out bro.


Uhhh...they kinda are though. :lol: As are the ways to go about maximizing your odds of getting impact lit as your 4L job. Your recommended way is either going to put OP in a ton of debt or in a position he can't actualize his desired outcome. You might call that kind. I call that fisting someone with a naive smile on your face.

I have zero interest in chilling out while you pass along patently life-devastating misinformation. It's not kind. It's not polite. It's fuckery...plain and simple.

You're cleared off.


Applying with a over a 3.8 and 166 is life devastating? You really need to set your priorities straight, they are so skewed its actually frightening.


Uhhh, yes. If your goal is to gun ACLU, SPLC, etc., then those numbers are completely inadequate to achieve OP's stated goals. He will either end up with life-crippling debt while attempting to stretch into a school with an outside shot, or never getting where he wants to be period.

If his goal was to get into a lower T-14 and shoot for biglaw, sure...knock yourself out.

What's really happening here is you wanted a chance to brag about your numbers/outcomes and get a little self-aggrandizement going on. So, you chose to "look at me and my outcome" in this thread and misrepresent OP's options. (Call it outcome-whoring...TLS's version of picwhoring.) It's disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself. Potentially giving ruinous, inapplicable advice to someone just so you can feel like internet strangers are impressed by your middling numbers and outsized outcomes.


Not even close, but thanks for being a pretend therapist!I hope you don't talk this way in real life like you did to me or OP, its degrading and shameful. Good luck making allies in the legal world with that crap.

Arrogance floods these posts. "Got a 150? Don't bother applying until you get a 165." "Got a 165? 170 or bust." "170? Retake to get a few more points." "174? Get above 175!" This is horrible advice because no matter what anyone brings to the table people will tell them to retake, and you gobble it up. I post on here other perspectives. Sure, everyone and their mother can write 100x for them to retake the LSAT. They know this, and hearing it over and over again isn't helpful. It's not the only option and its up to the OP to discern which path is the best for them and their needs. If that's to retake, so be it. If it's not, god damn their life isn't over so drop the dramatization.

Take out your LSAT/application frustrations on someone else and give real advice instead of being suchhhhhhh a jackass to others who offer other perspectives. Drink a beer, do whatever it takes to relax and loosen that stick, bud.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:42 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote: Not even close, but thanks for being a pretend therapist!I hope you don't talk this way in real life like you did to me or OP, its degrading and shameful. Good luck making allies in the legal world with that crap.

Arrogance floods these posts. "Got a 150? Don't bother applying until you get a 165." "Got a 165? 170 or bust." "170? Retake to get a few more points." "174? Get above 175!" This is horrible advice because no matter what anyone brings to the table people will tell them to retake, and you gobble it up. I post on here other perspectives. Sure, everyone and their mother can write 100x for them to retake the LSAT. They know this, and hearing it over and over again isn't helpful. It's not the only option and its up to the OP to discern which path is the best for them and their needs. If that's to retake, so be it. If it's not, god damn their life isn't over so drop the dramatization.

Take out your LSAT/application frustrations on someone else and give real advice instead of being suchhhhhhh a jackass to others who offer other perspectives. Drink a beer, do whatever it takes to relax and loosen that stick, bud.


God your name is so applicable.

It's not arrogant to provide OP with the advice he requested. If someone was interested in becoming the DA in a rural New Mexico district and I recommended "retake for 175", then sure...you'd have a point. But, when OP states he wants impact lit, I'm going to let him know exactly what he needs to do to get there (hopefully without 300K in debt to go along with it). Every ounce of advice you've smeared in here has been less than helpful.

And I frankly couldn't give two shits if some early-20-something with an entitlement mentality doesn't like my "tone". You're entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to have them respected. Especially when they are patently absurd and objectively life ruining. Go brag about your outcomes and self-aggrandize elsewhere. This isn't the place.

User avatar
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: 3.83 GPA, 166 LSAT ED Duke/UVA?

Postby lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:02 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote: Not even close, but thanks for being a pretend therapist!I hope you don't talk this way in real life like you did to me or OP, its degrading and shameful. Good luck making allies in the legal world with that crap.

Arrogance floods these posts. "Got a 150? Don't bother applying until you get a 165." "Got a 165? 170 or bust." "170? Retake to get a few more points." "174? Get above 175!" This is horrible advice because no matter what anyone brings to the table people will tell them to retake, and you gobble it up. I post on here other perspectives. Sure, everyone and their mother can write 100x for them to retake the LSAT. They know this, and hearing it over and over again isn't helpful. It's not the only option and its up to the OP to discern which path is the best for them and their needs. If that's to retake, so be it. If it's not, god damn their life isn't over so drop the dramatization.

Take out your LSAT/application frustrations on someone else and give real advice instead of being suchhhhhhh a jackass to others who offer other perspectives. Drink a beer, do whatever it takes to relax and loosen that stick, bud.


God your name is so applicable.

It's not arrogant to provide OP with the advice he requested. If someone was interested in becoming the DA in a rural New Mexico district and I recommended "retake for 175", then sure...you'd have a point. But, when OP states he wants impact lit, I'm going to let him know exactly what he needs to do to get there (hopefully without 300K in debt to go along with it). Every ounce of advice you've smeared in here has been less than helpful.

And I frankly couldn't give two shits if some early-20-something with an entitlement mentality doesn't like my "tone". You're entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to have them respected. Especially when they are patently absurd and objectively life ruining. Go brag about your outcomes and self-aggrandize elsewhere. This isn't the place.


My advice to not ED, to retake if they want to go to HYS or else apply to schools where they have a good chance at is less than helpful? L.O.L. whatever you say meerkat.



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests