3.56 LSDAS GPA 158 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JGPGH

New

3.56 LSDAS GPA 158 LSAT

Postby JGPGH » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:28 pm

My top choice is Boston College and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what my chances at admission would be for BC. Just to preface, I would be completely happy with just admission and no financial aid, I would still attend even if I had to pay sticker. Any help input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

mukol

Bronze

Re: 3.56 LSDAS GPA 158 LSAT

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:30 pm

You'd be a marginal admit, if you're admitted at all. Retake. Don't pay full price for BC.

Also, check mylsn.

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:35 pm

mukol wrote:You'd be a marginal admit, if you're admitted at all. Retake. Don't pay full price for BC.

Also, check mylsn.

Think I'm going to retake in September, I was only able to study for about a month and half for the June test and thats why my score is relatively low. Im intrigued as to why you think full price for BC is bad though?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:38 pm

JGPGH wrote:My top choice is Boston College and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what my chances at admission would be for BC. Just to preface, I would be completely happy with just admission and no financial aid, I would still attend even if I had to pay sticker. Any help input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Not a great chance. Retake a 158... 2 points puts you over the 160 bump, and thus into another league. At the very least aim for a 165 to get you some decent $. I'm a big believer that if you can get a high 150s, then you are capable of breaking into the 160s with some work.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:46 pm

JGPGH wrote:
mukol wrote:You'd be a marginal admit, if you're admitted at all. Retake. Don't pay full price for BC.

Also, check mylsn.

Think I'm going to retake in September, I was only able to study for about a month and half for the June test and thats why my score is relatively low. Im intrigued as to why you think full price for BC is bad though?

Because 250k for BC would be a pretty hard hole to climb out of. Not saying BC is a bad choice for full price, relative to other schools. But....you're still looking at a relatively low odds of getting BL to service that debt. And if you get BL you have realitively high odds of not liking it and bailing after a few years.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:51 pm

JGPGH wrote:

Also, check mylsn.

Full COA at BC per LST is over $250K. Many would argue that the debt required isn't justified given the median outcome. A lot of people here would say that this is true for almost every law school outside of a select few.

Edit: from anywhere, assuming biglaw, this will still take several years to repay
Last edited by pittsburghpirates on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 pm

JGPGH wrote:

Also, check mylsn.

Unless you have a filthy rich family Paying for your school this is a terrible idea. BC costs 253k for the three years and gives you less than a coin flips chance at big law.

This is going to cost you 3k a month for 10 years just to pay off your loans.

If you don't understand why paying 3k a month in loan payments is a terrible idea then you should probably rethink going to law school.

Check this out,
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scrip ... yments.cgi

Edit: autocorrect sucks. Had to fix spelling

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Do you come from rich parents? If not, enjoy paying back 300k on a 60k salary (most likely outcome)

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:

Also, check mylsn.

Unless you have a filthy rich family Paying for your school this is a terrible idea. BC costs 253k for the three years and gives you less than a coin flips chance at big law.

If you don't understand why paying 3k a month in loan payments is a terrible idea then you should probably rethink going to law school.

Check this out,

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Do you come from rich parents? If not, enjoy paying back 300k on a 60k salary (most likely outcome)

Savage. But true. [Fire emoji]

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:

Also, check mylsn.

Check this out,

Pomeranian wrote:Do you come from rich parents? If not, enjoy paying back 300k on a 60k salary (most likely outcome)

mukol wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:

Also, check mylsn.

Check this out,

I was lucky enough that I did not pay a single dime of tuition as an undergrad and my family is relatively well off (dad consults for a foreign gov. and my mother is a pediatrician at a top 5 department in the country) so money is luckily not a big consideration for me. I would at the most have to take out 10-30k in loans my 3L year. Another question, if I called BC admissions and made my name known and told them that BC was my number 1 and I would commit immediately if accepted have any impact on my admissions chances?

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:09 pm

No it won't help, they'll just think you're a tool.

And you're seriously better off taking that 150k of loans daddy's money and investing it in the market. You'll see a better ROI over your career.

Just because you have money doesn't mean you should waste it.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:20 pm

mukol wrote:No it won't help, they'll just think you're a tool.

And you're seriously better off taking that 150k of loans daddy's money and investing it in the market. You'll see a better ROI over your career.

Just because you have money doesn't mean you should waste it.

This. Invest that 150k into a low cost index fund and it should grow to at least 1 million by the time you retire.

Return to “What are my chances??