3.7988 GPA, 171 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Fantasyfreak294

New

3.7988 GPA, 171 LSAT

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:40 pm

What are my chances at CCN? If I retake the LSAT and get a 174+, could I have a shot at H?

GreenEggs

Gold

Re: 3.7988 GPA, 171 LSAT

Postby GreenEggs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:41 pm

good shot at CCN, retake could get you H, you also are positioned well for $$
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:05 pm

I think you're in solid position for CCN with money.

HangingAround

Bronze

Postby HangingAround » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:30 pm

3.8 flat 171 got 37.5 at NYU and 45* at Chi this most recent cycle. Didn't try and negotiate either one. Didn't apply to Columbia. Nothing from UVA tho :cry: just so you have some wider context since our stats are the same got 114 at Duke after negotiating up from 105 and 150 from Cornell, didn't go up from negotiating

*It was actually 45, not 40 just noticed.
Last edited by HangingAround on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:24 pm

HangingAround wrote:3.8 flat 171 got 37.5 at NYU and 40 at Chi this most recent cycle. Didn't try and negotiate either one. Didn't apply to Columbia. Nothing from UVA tho :cry: just so you have some wider context since our stats are the same got 114 at Duke after negotiating up from 105 and 150 from Cornell, didn't go up from negotiating

Just out of curiosity, why would you apply to NYU with those scores and not CLS?

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:53 pm

HangingAround wrote:3.8 flat 171 got 37.5 at NYU and 40 at Chi this most recent cycle. Didn't try and negotiate either one. Didn't apply to Columbia. Nothing from UVA tho :cry: just so you have some wider context since our stats are the same got 114 at Duke after negotiating up from 105 and 150 from Cornell, didn't go up from negotiating

Since our stats are similar, may I ask where you were rejected/waitlisted at? (If anywhere). Sorry if that's a rude question- just trying to get the most accurate picture of my chances.

Fantasyfreak294

New

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

Since our stats are similar, may I ask where you were rejected/waitlisted at? (If anywhere). Sorry if that's a rude question- just trying to get the most accurate picture of my chances.

Also, major congrats on the acceptances/money!!

matterhorn

New

Postby matterhorn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:02 pm

Slightly higher GPA, slightly lower LSAT got waitlisted at Chicago and Columbia and accepted to NYU, though I did apply in January. If you apply earlier with a higher LSAT, you should be in great position at all 3.

HangingAround

Bronze

Postby HangingAround » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:20 pm

mwells56 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would you apply to NYU with those scores and not CLS?

Fair question. I had no interest in NYU or Chicago as I would not work in Chicago or NYC and really have no interest in biglaw in general. I was mostly hoping that an acceptance/money would help move UVA or Duke up (schools I was mildly interested in because moreso part of my goal area, but ended up not attending either). I think saw on a law school calculator that NYU would likely give me more money than Columbia and Columbia didn't give me a fee waiver though the others did. I'm not sure if the NYU/Chicago offers or the Cornell offer the regional offer or simply asking had more to do with Duke moving up a little.

HangingAround

Bronze

Postby HangingAround » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

Thank you, I didn't get waitlisted or rejected anywhere but I didn't apply to HYS. I knew I was too debt and biglaw averse even if I had an off chance at H. It would've been great for negotiations I guess but I didn't and still don't think I had a real enough chance to justify the app fee. Plus if I somehow got in, I'd probably want to go which would not be the best move for my goals. Unrelated but apply early. I got into Duke/UVA within three days of the application opening which definitely took stress off the process, even if the early acceptance never translated to any love from UVA scholly money. I've mentioned the only T14 schools I applied to.
Last edited by HangingAround on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:24 pm

HangingAround wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

Thank you, I didn't get waitlisted or rejected anywhere but I didn't apply to HYS. I knew I was too debt and biglaw averse even if I had an off chance at H. Apply early. I got into Duke/UVA within three days of the application opening which definitely took stress off the process, even if the early acceptance never translated to any love from UVA scholly money.

So you applied in September?

I'm debating between retaking or applying early....

HangingAround

Bronze

Postby HangingAround » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:32 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

Thank you, I didn't get waitlisted or rejected anywhere but I didn't apply to HYS. I knew I was too debt and biglaw averse even if I had an off chance at H. Apply early. I got into Duke/UVA within three days of the application opening which definitely took stress off the process, even if the early acceptance never translated to any love from UVA scholly money.

I applied literally day one, though I think anytime before December is pretty early. Retaking might not be as enjoyable as some early September acceptances, but I don't think it will hurt you at all and could help you significantly. I'm not sure how much upside there is with our GPAs, I think my impression was not a ton in terms of money considerations though you could open up a better shot at H if you're interested in that. If you went ahead and applied I think they'd hold your application until the new score came in. The three weeks that you wait for your score though could be time to apply so that you aren't balancing it with studying pre-October.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 pm

HangingAround wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

I applied literally day one, though I think anytime before December is pretty early. Retaking might not be as enjoyable as some early September acceptances, but I don't think it will hurt you at all and could help you significantly. I'm not sure how much upside there is with our GPAs, I think my impression was not a ton in terms of money considerations though you could open up a better shot at H if you're interested in that. If you went ahead and applied I think they'd hold your application until the new score came in. The three weeks that you wait for your score though could be time to apply so that you aren't balancing it with studying pre-October.

Wait, you're telling me you heard back 3 days after you sent in your application??

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 pm

There are websites dedicated to answering this question.

HangingAround

Bronze

Postby HangingAround » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 pm

mwells56 wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
Fantasyfreak294 wrote:

Wait, you're telling me you heard back 3 days after you sent in your application??

Yea. It might've been four but I think three -I deleted the email from Duke and I got in at the end of the skype UVA interview. I didn't and wouldn't necessarily expect the same next cycle, it happened to other people and seemed unique but not having it happen again would probably get people all riled up for no reason. If you have any other questions PM me and I'm happy to answer them

Also as Mukol noted the probability calculator people link to all the time here is a really solid tool

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:13 am

HangingAround wrote:Yea. It might've been four but I think three -I deleted the email from Duke and I got in at the end of the skype UVA interview. I didn't and wouldn't necessarily expect the same next cycle, it happened to other people and seemed unique but not having it happen again would probably get people all riled up for no reason. If you have any other questions PM me and I'm happy to answer them

Also as Mukol noted the probability calculator people link to all the time here is a really solid tool

Damn dude that's crazy. I didn't realize it could be that quick at all. I was under the impression that it never took less than a few weeks even if you get them in early, and that most people hear back around January-ish.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Postby cantyoloforever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 pm

So, retaking in the hopes of even increasing a point or two, and then applying mid to late October would still be a good route to go?

Return to “What are my chances??