3.5/165/Veteran/LGBT Chances or retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gmeadiv

New

3.5/165/Veteran/LGBT Chances or retake?

Postby gmeadiv » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:43 pm

The two schools I want to go to are Columbia and NYU. Both would pretty much be free. Georgetown is my second choice. After getting my LSAT scores I'm not sure how my chances would be at Columbia or NYU but they seem good at Georgetown, especially if I apply ED. I was thinking of retaking the LSAT however in September but I'd honestly rather not go through all that again.

So I guess my questions are I should just suck it up, study, and retake the LSAT in September so I'm more competitive with Columbia/NYU? How much leverage do I have with being a vet? Is LGBT considered a URM?

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: 3.5/165/Veteran/LGBT Chances or retake?

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Can't say for sure what boosts you might get, but with your GPA you likely still need to get your LSAT up at least 4-6 points to have a greater than 50% shot at either NYU or Columbia. Three extra months of studying is a small price to pay to attend a school you're excited about rather than just feel "meh" about. Embrace the suck. Good luck

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Retake.

I would be surprised if any of the schools admitted you, even Georgetown ED.

navykev

Bronze

Postby navykev » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Come over to the veteran's thread - the advice to vets outside that thread is usually not very good.

Dcc617

Gold

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:45 pm

I applied as a non-URM veteran with a 3.7 165 a couple years ago. I got rejected from Michigan, Berkeley, UT, and a couple others. I reapplied this cycle with a much higher LSAT and got in basically everywhere.

Vets have really uneven results, at least as far as I can tell. For some it's a huge boost,for others it's not. I performed about as well as my numbers would have done. Service2School can be really helpful. It's an organization that helps vets with the application process.

Are you eligible for the GI bill?

Return to “What are my chances??