2.9 GPA / 165 LSAT / 27 YEARS OLD

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ZEROL27

New

2.9 GPA / 165 LSAT / 27 YEARS OLD

Postby ZEROL27 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:12 pm

I graduated from a state school in 2011 with a degree in marketing. Business and sales were not my passion, but I let myself embark on a five year plan after graduation with only two goals...

1. Establish my independence.
2. Keep an open mind.

I've spent the past five years working a few different jobs in a few different states (technology sales, bartender & restaurant manager, and I'm currently working in elementary special education), but I've remained independent and I'm engaged to marry the love of my life next spring. Things are going well.

I don't have (m)any softs - white/male/27 years old - but I did have a heart attack in the classroom last December (I was actually quite lucky: the school nurse was two doors down, I was in an operating room within thirty minutes, my state employee insurance picked up the vast majority of the $75K tab, and since I led a very healthy lifestyle prior to the incident the post-heart-attack changes have been really easy to adapt to), and I only choose to share this information with you fine folks as a means of explaining why I wish to make my fourth career change in what will be a six year period.

I've always been interested in law. My father is an attorney and we have a great relationship, but I felt the need to write my own story as a youth and I consciously avoided the option of law school until the introspection following my heart attack provided some insight to several aspects of my life.

I have an underwhelming undergraduate GPA of 2.9 because I needed to maintain a 3.0 to keep my scholarship and I did just that until my scholarship paid for the last semester and I foolishly decided that grades meant nothing any longer.

I have a decent LSAT score of 165 / 91st percentile (June 2016).

I'm slightly above the median age at most schools and I believe that I can add a healthy amount of life experience to the class dynamic at a Top 50 school.

My 0L interests trend in the direction of transactional law or government law (environmental or health care) and I'd like to study on or east of the Mississippi. I think I'd like to work in biglaw/gov in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Miami, or possibly Kentucky (we have a network of friends & family in these places and that's important to us).

Also, my fiancée works in a fedgov law-related job. She's willing to transfer or find a new position to keep us from starving or drowning in debt if a particular law school presents the right opportunity for me. I'll also receive financial assistance from my family, but scholarship dollars will certainly help. I have no student debt or any other outstanding debts aside from a responsibly managed credit card.

Hopefully my luck continues through the upcoming cycle.

So, what are my chances at...

7. Penn
14. Georgetown
16. Vanderbilt
18. WUSTL
22. Emory
25. GW
33. Georgia
38. William & Mary
45. George Mason
48. Florida
50. Florida State
50. Temple
57. Georgia State
60. Miami
60. Kentucky
74. Villanova
92. Louisville

...and what schools are not worth my time?

I apologize for the length of the post. Thanks for reading!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: 2.9 GPA / 165 LSAT / 27 YEARS OLD

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:51 pm

ZEROL27 wrote:I graduated from a state school in 2011 with a degree in marketing. Business and sales were not my passion, but I let myself embark on a five year plan after graduation with only two goals...

2. Keep an open mind.

I've spent the past five years working a few different jobs in a few different states (technology sales, bartender & restaurant manager, and I'm currently working in elementary special education), but I've remained independent and I'm engaged to marry the love of my life next spring. Things are going well.

I don't have (m)any softs - white/male/27 years old - but I did have a heart attack in the classroom last December (I was actually quite lucky: the school nurse was two doors down, I was in an operating room within thirty minutes, my state employee insurance picked up the vast majority of the $75K tab, and since I led a very healthy lifestyle prior to the incident the post-heart-attack changes have been really easy to adapt to), and I only choose to share this information with you fine folks as a means of explaining why I wish to make my fourth career change in what will be a six year period.

I've always been interested in law. My father is an attorney and we have a great relationship, but I felt the need to write my own story as a youth and I consciously avoided the option of law school until the introspection following my heart attack provided some insight to several aspects of my life.

I have an underwhelming undergraduate GPA of 2.9 because I needed to maintain a 3.0 to keep my scholarship and I did just that until my scholarship paid for the last semester and I foolishly decided that grades meant nothing any longer.

I'm slightly above the median age at most schools and I believe that I can add a healthy amount of life experience to the class dynamic at a Top 50 school.

My 0L interests trend in the direction of transactional law or government law (environmental or health care) and I'd like to study on or east of the Mississippi. I think I'd like to work in biglaw/gov in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Miami, or possibly Kentucky (we have a network of friends & family in these places and that's important to us).

Also, my fiancée works in a fedgov law-related job. She's willing to transfer or find a new position to keep us from starving or drowning in debt if a particular law school presents the right opportunity for me. I'll also receive financial assistance from my family, but scholarship dollars will certainly help. I have no student debt or any other outstanding debts aside from a responsibly managed credit card.

7. Penn
14. Georgetown
16. Vanderbilt
18. WUSTL
22. Emory
25. GW
33. Georgia
38. William & Mary
45. George Mason
48. Florida
50. Florida State
50. Temple
57. Georgia State
60. Miami
60. Kentucky
74. Villanova
92. Louisville

http://mylsn.info/ku2o3z/

Typed in your info quick into MyLSN. It looks like your chances are bleak above William & Mary. Because your GPA isn't the best, retake the LSAT. How long did you study the first time? What materials did you use? How many PTs did you take?

Asking because if you can score in the 170s you will have much better options.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:28 am

As mentioned, your chances are very low at the top of your list. Although I'd say that the cut-off is Emory, because your GPA does start to carry less weight as you get older. However, you're never going to totally ditch that GPA, so you need to focus on splitter-friendly schools. And if you want biglaw/federal government, that means T-14 splitter-friendly schools like Northwestern.

Realistically, you'll have to be in the top third of your class to get biglaw from Emory through William & Mary. Below that, you'd have to be in the top 10%. Federal government jobs tend to be equally selective.

So for your ambitions, you need to retake the LSAT and get it up into the 170s. And the higher you can get it, the better. You need to be a splitter, and that means getting your LSAT over the 75th percentile for any school you want a chance at.

ZEROL27

New

Postby ZEROL27 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:10 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
ZEROL27 wrote:I graduated from a state school in 2011 with a degree in marketing. Business and sales were not my passion, but I let myself embark on a five year plan after graduation with only two goals...

2. Keep an open mind.

7. Penn
14. Georgetown
16. Vanderbilt
18. WUSTL
22. Emory
25. GW
33. Georgia
38. William & Mary
45. George Mason
48. Florida
50. Florida State
50. Temple
57. Georgia State
60. Miami
60. Kentucky
74. Villanova
92. Louisville

Typed in your info quick into MyLSN. It looks like your chances are bleak above William & Mary. Because your GPA isn't the best, retake the LSAT. How long did you study the first time? What materials did you use? How many PTs did you take?

Thanks for the response!

Would you agree with the other poster that my chances extend to up the list to Georgia, GW, and Emory based upon their LSAT scores?

I studied for three months. Used TM. 16 practice tests with a score range of 154 - 166.

ZEROL27

New

Postby ZEROL27 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 am

@cavalier1138...

Why do you feel that WUSTL should not be included in what's reasonable given my current numbers?

I only ask because you said the cut off is likely to be Emory, yet Wash U's numbers on LST don't seem to be that different (their 75th percentile LSAT is two points higher than Emory's - 166 vs 168 - and their 25th percentile GPA is significantantly lower - 3.45 vs 3.18).

Wash U also sent me one of those "Congrats on your June LSAT score! Apply for Fall 2016 or 2017 enrollment" emails. It surprised me because I didn't expect a Top 25 school to need to hit its quota this close to fall enrollment. Perhaps I've made a mistake in letting this email boost my confidence.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:40 am

ZEROL27 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

2. Keep an open mind.

7. Penn
14. Georgetown
16. Vanderbilt
18. WUSTL
22. Emory
25. GW
33. Georgia
38. William & Mary
45. George Mason
48. Florida
50. Florida State
50. Temple
57. Georgia State
60. Miami
60. Kentucky
74. Villanova
92. Louisville

Thanks for the response!

Would you agree with the other poster that my chances extend to up the list to Georgia, GW, and Emory based upon their LSAT scores?

I studied for three months. Used TM. 16 practice tests with a score range of 154 - 166.

No problem!

Yeah I agree you have great shots at those schools, but you'll be at sticker or damn near close. And for 3 months more of your life, and 2-3 hours a day, you can get to go to those schools for free if you can get your score up to that sexy 170 range. But, either way, you have decent chances at all those schools you mentioned, at least according to the data on MyLSN.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:41 am

ZEROL27 wrote:@cavalier1138...

Why do you feel that WUSTL should not be included in what's reasonable given my current numbers?

I only ask because you said the cut off is likely to be Emory, yet Wash U's numbers on LST don't seem to be that different (their 75th percentile LSAT is two points higher than Emory's - 166 vs 168 - and their 25th percentile GPA is significantantly lower - 3.45 vs 3.18).

Wash U also sent me one of those "Congrats on your June LSAT score! Apply for Fall 2016 or 2017 enrollment" emails. It surprised me because I didn't expect a Top 25 school to need to hit its quota this close to fall enrollment. Perhaps I've made a mistake in letting this email boost my confidence.

Because 2 points on the LSAT is a lot once you're out of the 170s. And you're still well below their 25th on GPA. And that means that you aren't a splitter at WashU.

Now, you may still get in there, but I don't think it's as likely as you getting in at Emory. And I agree that you won't get good money even if you do get in with that score.

unsweetened

Silver

Postby unsweetened » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:02 pm

You could probably get into Georgia with those numbers, but scholly money won't be much. Top 20% gives you a real shot at BL, but it's MUCH easier to retake the LSAT in comparison

Return to “What are my chances??