2.6/166 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bus Stop King

New

2.6/166

Post by Bus Stop King » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Past me was an idiot, but current me (3+ years running a multi-million dollar company) isn't so bad.

I just got my June score back. 166. With a better GPA I'd be competitive at several of the T14, but it is what it is. I'm not interested in retaking the LSAT because I have enough options where I stand, so thanks in advance for the advice to retake.

My options seem to be: the local, T1 law school with great placement in my hometown. I could also apply to another lower-T1/upper-T2 school where I went to UG, in a place I wouldn't mind living. Either of these is acceptable, and I'd be an easy admit to either with my LSAT score well above their 75% and substantive work experience.

However, my dream would be to have a DC/Fed career. Looking at LSN suggests I'd have a shot at Washington & Lee or George Mason. Would this dream be technically possible from either of these schools? Money is an issue obviously, but family help will keep me out of piles of debt.

sublime

Diamond

Re: 2.6/166

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:12 pm

Why don't you continue running multi million dollar company?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Bus Stop King wrote:Past me was an idiot, but current me (3+ years running a multi-million dollar company) isn't so bad.

I just got my June score back. 166. With a better GPA I'd be competitive at several of the T14, but it is what it is. I'm not interested in retaking the LSAT because I have enough options where I stand, so thanks in advance for the advice to retake.

My options seem to be: the local, T1 law school with great placement in my hometown. I could also apply to another lower-T1/upper-T2 school where I went to UG, in a place I wouldn't mind living. Either of these is acceptable, and I'd be an easy admit to either with my LSAT score well above their 75% and substantive work experience.

However, my dream would be to have a DC/Fed career. Looking at LSN suggests I'd have a shot at Washington & Lee or George Mason. Would this dream be technically possible from either of these schools? Money is an issue obviously, but family help will keep me out of piles of debt.
You should probably not quit your job, unless money means little to nothing to you

If you decide to go, you should also definitely retake, especially considering you're in no rush to go to school (see e.g. running "multi-million dollar company"). "Past me was an idiot" insinuates current you is not one. Prove it.

If you have any aspirations of a "DC/Fed career," i.e. the most prestigious lawyering career path there is, you're going to want to retake and also not go to Washington and Lee or George Mason, as those schools kind of suck

good luck
Last edited by Traynor Brah on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:39 pm

sublime wrote:Why don't you continue running multi million dollar company?

Bus Stop King

New

Post by Bus Stop King » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:42 pm

[quote="sublime"]Why don't you continue running multi million dollar company?[/quote]

The contract that I was hired to run expires at the end of the year, and the owners have little interest in fighting to get it back. I'll be out of a job.

When I was given notice that I'd be laid off (in February next year), I considered my options. I'm not in love with management or business, so an MBA and moving up in the corporate world didn't really appeal to me. The eureka moment came while writing a letter contesting the awarding of unemployment benefits to an employee who shouldn't have received them (long, colorful story). I sat surrounded by a stack of files and had several browser windows open showing federal and state statutes regarding unemployment, and I had to interpret them in a way that could persuade the local labor board to reverse the decision of one of their underlings. I thought to myself "I love this. I wish there were a job that my entire life was to research and write about stuff like this."

Because I'm dumb, it took me a few days thinking that to realize that law school might be a good idea.
Last edited by Bus Stop King on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:44 pm

This is harsh, but barring a phenomenal LSAT score (and maybe even then), your GPA will probably limit your options to the point where going will almost definitely be a bad decision for you.

Bus Stop King

New

Post by Bus Stop King » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:52 pm

sublime wrote:This is harsh, but barring a phenomenal LSAT score (and maybe even then), your GPA will probably limit your options to the point where going will almost definitely be a bad decision for you.
So what would constitute a not-bad decision to go to law school? Harvard and BigLaw? Georgetown and BigLaw? A local school with little debt and family law?

I'm not looking to work for the V250 here. Making a decent income doing franchise incorporations and small-time litigation, and maybe moonlighting as a part-time municipal judge, sounds just fine to me.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Bus Stop King wrote:
sublime wrote:This is harsh, but barring a phenomenal LSAT score (and maybe even then), your GPA will probably limit your options to the point where going will almost definitely be a bad decision for you.
So what would constitute a not-bad decision to go to law school? Harvard and BigLaw? Georgetown and BigLaw? A local school with little debt and family law?

I'm not looking to work for the V250 here. Making a decent income doing franchise incorporations and small-time litigation, and maybe moonlighting as a part-time municipal judge, sounds just fine to me.

General wisdom here is that you should either go T14 (preferably with some aid) if you want biglaw or if you aren't aiming for that, a strong regional/local school for pretty much free.

Have you spent much time on LawSchoolTransparency.com? It is a really good website with a lot of employment data and cost information.

Bus Stop King

New

Post by Bus Stop King » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:07 pm

sublime wrote:
Bus Stop King wrote:

General wisdom here is that you should either go T14 (preferably with some aid) if you want biglaw or if you aren't aiming for that, a strong regional/local school for pretty much free.

Have you spent much time on LawSchoolTransparency.com? It is a really good website with a lot of employment data and cost information.
I've been around LST and didn't mind what I saw for my local school and the school near my UG. My inherited education fund (thanks grandma, btw) is sufficient that I could pay close to sticker on tuition and have less than a car loan in debt, and my wife (a teacher) can keep the lights on and food in the fridge. We won't live like kings, but we won't starve either. A hefty scholarship would be nice, of course, but it's not a necessary condition for my deciding to go.

Basically, money issues aren't going to keep me out of school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:09 pm

What schools are you considering? It's all been pretty vague and hard to evaluate IMO

Stardust84

New

Post by Stardust84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Not really, you can get a full ride at a regional with a 166.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Also, there are internship programs that are in government law (that is what you said you wanted to do, right?) I'm not sure about the details on them but they exist, something worth looking into. I'm sure you can also find connections through them/maybe some of them offer jobs to interns post-law school.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:05 pm

You should retake. OR maybe regional/state school for free. Don't waste money for law school. Keep it invested or save for the kids, nephews, cousins, whatever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”