3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Keilz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 pm

deleted
Last edited by Keilz on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:18 am, edited 7 times in total.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby Keilz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:50 am

Anyone? :)

StopLawying

Silver
Posts: 686
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:23 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby StopLawying » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:12 am

You're most likely in at both Penn and Georgetown.
NYU I'd say you have 50/50 shot. My friend had very similar numbers and applied ED to NYU but he got no $. Keep that in mind.
Don't think you're in at Columbia, you'd need a higher LSAT score, like 173+.

I know you don't want to hear this, but why not retake? I assume you're applying for Fall 2017 so taking the Sep or Dec test won't delay anything. Even just getting a few points higher will present you with so many opportunities. You definitely should retake, especially if this was your first time taking the test.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby Keilz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:21 pm

StopLawying wrote:You're most likely in at both Penn and Georgetown.
NYU I'd say you have 50/50 shot. My friend had very similar numbers and applied ED to NYU but he got no $. Keep that in mind.
Don't think you're in at Columbia, you'd need a higher LSAT score, like 173+.

I know you don't want to hear this, but why not retake? I assume you're applying for Fall 2017 so taking the Sep or Dec test won't delay anything. Even just getting a few points higher will present you with so many opportunities. You definitely should retake, especially if this was your first time taking the test.


Thanks for the info! :) Historically I have not been that great at standardized tests, and something about the LSAT really kills me. I first took in October 2015 and got a 166 because I messed up a game. I've been studying for this test for a year and a half, and just have always hovered around this 169 score. My scores have no pattern to my weaknesses, it varies widely from test to test, and I just don't want to chance it again, especially if there is a weird game. Studying for the test really physically affects me from reason - the first time I took it, my hair started falling out so much I went to a doctor, which hasn't happened to me for other types of stress. I also want to apply ASAP and from experience had a hard time dividing my time between writing a personal statement and studying for the test, because I would just want to study for the test.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:49 pm

Keilz wrote:
StopLawying wrote:You're most likely in at both Penn and Georgetown.
NYU I'd say you have 50/50 shot. My friend had very similar numbers and applied ED to NYU but he got no $. Keep that in mind.
Don't think you're in at Columbia, you'd need a higher LSAT score, like 173+.

I know you don't want to hear this, but why not retake? I assume you're applying for Fall 2017 so taking the Sep or Dec test won't delay anything. Even just getting a few points higher will present you with so many opportunities. You definitely should retake, especially if this was your first time taking the test.


Thanks for the info! :) Historically I have not been that great at standardized tests, and something about the LSAT really kills me. I first took in October 2015 and got a 166 because I messed up a game. I've been studying for this test for a year and a half, and just have always hovered around this 169 score. My scores have no pattern to my weaknesses, it varies widely from test to test, and I just don't want to chance it again, especially if there is a weird game. Studying for the test really physically affects me from reason - the first time I took it, my hair started falling out so much I went to a doctor, which hasn't happened to me for other types of stress. I also want to apply ASAP and from experience had a hard time dividing my time between writing a personal statement and studying for the test, because I would just want to study for the test.


We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby Keilz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Keilz wrote:
StopLawying wrote:You're most likely in at both Penn and Georgetown.
NYU I'd say you have 50/50 shot. My friend had very similar numbers and applied ED to NYU but he got no $. Keep that in mind.
Don't think you're in at Columbia, you'd need a higher LSAT score, like 173+.

I know you don't want to hear this, but why not retake? I assume you're applying for Fall 2017 so taking the Sep or Dec test won't delay anything. Even just getting a few points higher will present you with so many opportunities. You definitely should retake, especially if this was your first time taking the test.


Thanks for the info! :) Historically I have not been that great at standardized tests, and something about the LSAT really kills me. I first took in October 2015 and got a 166 because I messed up a game. I've been studying for this test for a year and a half, and just have always hovered around this 169 score. My scores have no pattern to my weaknesses, it varies widely from test to test, and I just don't want to chance it again, especially if there is a weird game. Studying for the test really physically affects me from reason - the first time I took it, my hair started falling out so much I went to a doctor, which hasn't happened to me for other types of stress. I also want to apply ASAP and from experience had a hard time dividing my time between writing a personal statement and studying for the test, because I would just want to study for the test.


We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say


Yeah I exhausted my materials on my first take, this second take was done solely on retakes which did solidify my logic game ability and speed but (-1LG this take) but LR is much harder to improve on. I'm trying to plan my location with my long term boyfriend who is going to be assigned to a residency this upcoming year so we need to establish location assp, I've already limited our options by waiting another year to retake from my original 2 year plan. A 169 gives me good options and I've saved a lot of money to lessen the blow of debt, so for me personally the options weigh in favor of not retaking

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - 1 yr paid off

Postby Keilz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:27 pm

I'm anxious so im going to annoyingly bump

matterhorn

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:51 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - 1 yr paid off

Postby matterhorn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Penn might be difficult because they seem to value high GPAs relatively more than peer schools. Probably out at Columbia, decent shot at NYU, and should be in at Georgetown unless there's something seriously wrong with the rest of your application.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Keilz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks!

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Keilz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:25 am

Any thoughts about how I can really hone in on NYU? It's been my dream school. Can I discuss location in my essay? I like its international law focus/worldview since I studied international relations but I've never been abroad :(

User avatar
Stardust84

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Stardust84 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:03 am

You are at the median LSAT score, and just slightly below median gpa at NYU. I think you have a little better than a 50/50 chance.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Keilz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks!

Johndieck

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Johndieck » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:48 am

Completely unrelated to your question, but what was your study schedule like? I imagine it wasn't 40 hours a week like some people on here recommend. If you could sum up an average number of hours per week, what would you say? I'm interested in a similar schedule. I already put in 4 months of 16 hours a week in (what were) hopes of taking this past June LSAT, but stopped when I wasn't making progress quickly enough. I plan to start again in September for the next September LSAT, but don't really know how many hours to put in a week. I have plenty of untouched material--basically every LSAT from 38 up. I have your exact GPA with (what will be) 2 years work experience in teaching to English Hispanics and Francophones (trilingual).

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby bretby » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:58 am

Keilz wrote:Any thoughts about how I can really hone in on NYU? It's been my dream school. Can I discuss location in my essay? I like its international law focus/worldview since I studied international relations but I've never been abroad :(


I had very similar numbers and got into all the schools you are interested in, though NYU and Georgetown were the only ones to offer any real money. I don't think that emphasizing location in an NYU app would be very helpful, and I also think you should get another academic rec and maybe drop the orchestra rec.

pittsburghpirates

Silver
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby pittsburghpirates » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 am

Keilz wrote:Any thoughts about how I can really hone in on NYU? It's been my dream school. Can I discuss location in my essay? I like its international law focus/worldview since I studied international relations but I've never been abroad :(


You can definitely talk about location in a "Why NYU" essay, especially if you have something meaningful to say about it. I did in my essays for the NYC schools and am glad that I did (feel free to PM).

Unless money is really tight, definitely apply to a number of schools and do your best to negotiate. I also agree with bretby on recs. Definitely try to snag another academic one.

User avatar
mt2165

Silver
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby mt2165 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 am

Its not in nyc but Cornell would be a great option for you should you (likely) get good money from there. Your stats aren't quite good enough to get decent money at nyu or penn (assuming you're not urm).

User avatar
jumbocolumbo

Bronze
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby jumbocolumbo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:53 am

RamTitan wrote:We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say


Who on TLS says this?

User avatar
oidsedidy

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby oidsedidy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:43 am

jumbocolumbo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say


Who on TLS says this?


Almost certainly no one, but there are plenty who insist a 170 is possible for everyone (which, given enough time and focus it often is for a large number of people). That said, I don't blame OP or others for wanting to rid themselves of LSAT prep and get on with their lives- even if that means swallowing additional debt.

OP- with the exception of GULC it's hard to say how likely you are to get into the schools you've listed, but you're certainly in the conversation for all of them. I would recommend against ED- it's one thing to bid farewell to the LSAT, but quite another to cut yourself off from any scholarship opportunities and options generally. I don't think that emphasizing your desire to be in NYC will help much with NYU- but there's nothing wrong with mentioning it. Best of luck!

User avatar
Wild Card

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Wild Card » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:44 am

I think you're competitive for all three. I was 3.76/169 and got into all three.

If money is a concern to you and your family, apply to Cornell and UVA and use their scholarship offers to press NYU, Penn, and Georgetown.

Last cycle, 169s got full scholarships from UVA.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby RamTitan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:24 pm

jumbocolumbo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say


Who on TLS says this?

What do you want me to do; comb through previous threads and make a comprehensive list of users?

I wasn't being literal (I know, hard/impossible to tell over the Internet), but what I meant by that statement is that there is a shared attitude of "always retake for a higher score".

P.S. This is not a dig at the advice I was given in my thread where I was told to retake, as I actually do think retaking is wise in my case.

User avatar
jumbocolumbo

Bronze
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby jumbocolumbo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:21 pm

RamTitan wrote:
jumbocolumbo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say


Who on TLS says this?

What do you want me to do; comb through previous threads and make a comprehensive list of users?

I wasn't being literal (I know, hard/impossible to tell over the Internet), but what I meant by that statement is that there is a shared attitude of "always retake for a higher score".

P.S. This is not a dig at the advice I was given in my thread where I was told to retake, as I actually do think retaking is wise in my case.


I think that's a common misinterpretation of what TLS users are most often advising when they tell someone to retake. It's hardly ever "always retake for a higher score" and usually "your numbers are unlikely to yield the best possible outcome to achieve your goals; retake because that's the most substantive thing you can do to improve your chances".

Anyway, I'm sure I've overthought what was supposed to be a hyperbolic statement at this point, but that's what I was getting at.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area

Postby RamTitan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:26 pm

jumbocolumbo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
jumbocolumbo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:We have similiar personalities and are in similiar situations. I scored a 169 with a 3.66 GPA and people are telling me to retake after a year of studying at the same score.....at what point do you call it a day? A lot of people on TLS like to say anyone can score a 180, but I'm not sure if that's the case after being stuck in the same score range for 8 months. If you've thoroughly exhausted your test materials, then Idk what to say


Who on TLS says this?

What do you want me to do; comb through previous threads and make a comprehensive list of users?

I wasn't being literal (I know, hard/impossible to tell over the Internet), but what I meant by that statement is that there is a shared attitude of "always retake for a higher score".

P.S. This is not a dig at the advice I was given in my thread where I was told to retake, as I actually do think retaking is wise in my case.


I think that's a common misinterpretation of what TLS users are most often advising when they tell someone to retake. It's hardly ever "always retake for a higher score" and usually "your numbers are unlikely to yield the best possible outcome to achieve your goals; retake because that's the most substantive thing you can do to improve your chances".

Anyway, I'm sure I've overthought what was supposed to be a hyperbolic statement at this point, but that's what I was getting at.

For sure; with that said, I know with certainty that I have read that "anyone can score a 180" and "always retake for a higher score", but I agree with your second sentence. Unfortunately, most people get pissed when they hear that it's probably for the best if they do a retake.

Keilz

Gold
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:35 am

Re: 3.73, 169 LSAT - NY/DC area - NYU, Penn, gtown

Postby Keilz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:04 pm

thanks everyone for your comments!!! It's made me much more optimistic!



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests