3.66, 169 - Duke or Penn? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nachoo2019

Silver

Re: 3.66, 169 - Duke or Penn?

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm

RamTitan wrote:So now I'm thinking more like:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Northwestern - ED or nah? You have to go there if you ED, right?
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

This is a preemptive list for if I don't retake.

Just a heads up. You searched wrong when you were looking for people who have gotten NU ED. You excluded ED applications so it showed you have a 50-50 chance of getting in. That was for RD. there is very little to no chance NU ED is in the cards with a 3.6/166.

But everything else seems about right

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

Just a heads up. You searched wrong when you were looking for people who have gotten NU ED. You excluded ED applications so it showed you have a 50-50 chance of getting in. That was for RD. there is very little to no chance NU ED is in the cards with a 3.6/166.

I got a 169; I have an 80% chance if I ED

http://mylsn.info/j8ikld/

Edit - is getting ED at Northwestern harder than regular decision admission there?

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

Edit - is getting ED at Northwestern harder than regular decision admission there?
My bad haha i glanced too quickly. And yes ED is tougher because it comes with a full tuition scholarship. But with a 169 you have a solid chance

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

My bad haha i glanced too quickly. And yes ED is tougher because it comes with a full tuition scholarship. But with a 169 you have a solid chance
No worries; have gotten a lot of advice based off a 166 these past two days, so I know it changes a fair amount.

With that said, I'm definitely at a crossroads....if only I hadn't left that one LR question blank!

matterhorn

New

Post by matterhorn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:23 pm

You should definitely consider a retake. Even two more points will make a huge difference. It may not seem like much now, but having gone through the application process I can tell you that the difference between a 169 and a 171 is huge. It will have a significant effect on both your acceptances and your scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SomeElleWoodsJoke

New

Post by SomeElleWoodsJoke » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Last edited by SomeElleWoodsJoke on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:21 pm

matterhorn wrote:You should definitely consider a retake. Even two more points will make a huge difference. It may not seem like much now, but having gone through the application process I can tell you that the difference between a 169 and a 171 is huge. It will have a significant effect on both your acceptances and your scholarships.
Something I didn't mention is that I even left one LR problem blank on accident (answered it correctly yesterday lol).

I think I'm going to retake, and just submit my apps as soon as I get the score back. I hope these test re-retakes will be of some value....

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 pm

RamTitan wrote:
matterhorn wrote:You should definitely consider a retake. Even two more points will make a huge difference. It may not seem like much now, but having gone through the application process I can tell you that the difference between a 169 and a 171 is huge. It will have a significant effect on both your acceptances and your scholarships.
Something I didn't mention is that I even left one LR problem blank on accident (answered it correctly yesterday lol).

I think I'm going to retake, and just submit my apps as soon as I get the score back. I hope these test re-retakes will be of some value....
What was your blind review process like for your first prep? This was key for me in my study process to get me over a plateau. Its absolutely critical that you understand exactly why the right answers are right and wrong answers are wrong.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:29 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

What was your blind review process like for your first prep? This was key for me in my study process to get me over a plateau. Its absolutely critical that you understand exactly why the right answers are right and wrong answers are wrong.
I did this for LR; even wrote it out on paper. I believe it did enhance my understanding of LR, but for whatever reason it never translated into more correct answers. There were times when I went -0 on LR, but that was rare. For games, anytime I missed a problem I would just redo the entire game until I understood the pattern. BRing RC was a god damn nightmare; I never really figured out that section, so honestly I feel super grateful for getting a 23/27.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:34 pm

I must be missing something:

these are my results at 169 - http://mylsn.info/fgy25j/
these are my results at 171 - http://mylsn.info/pymtsb/

Other than getting a little bit of love from CCN, the chances for Penn don't increase. Duke seems way more likely though.

Edit - I still have over a month before the registration deadline; I should work on the LSAT and see if I can make some big gains before then, otherwise it seems like it would be more advantageous to submit Northwestern ED as soon as applications open.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 pm

RamTitan wrote:I must be missing something:

Other than getting a little bit of love from CCN, the chances for Penn don't increase. Duke seems way more likely though.

Edit - I still have over a month before the registration deadline; I should work on the LSAT and see if I can make some big gains before then, otherwise it seems like it would be more advantageous to submit Northwestern ED as soon as applications open.
Penn WLs a ton of applicants, which is probably why you didn't see a big flux there. And it's more than just your chances, it's $$$ too.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:

Penn WLs a ton of applicants, which is probably why you didn't see a big flux there. And it's more than just your chances, it's $$$ too.
This is the big internal debate I'm having, and I'd love to get more opinions from you and others:

1. For my personal desire, it goes from Harvard (dream school, know it ain't gonna happen at this point) to Penn to UVA/Duke/Northwestern ED to Michigan/Cornell/Texas/Vanderbilt; I don't care as much about CCN because I don't think I'd get the score necessary to make that financially feasible.

2. If I could get into Penn or Duke with a 169, or Northwestern ED, then I'm a happy camper. If not, then I'm willing to retake.

3. What scares me about retaking is that I wonder if submitting my apps on the first day would be more of an advantage because A) I don't know what my retake will be (could be lower!) and B) I don't know if the advantage of applying early outweighs a 170 or a 171. If someone can point me in the direction where I can figure this out, please let me know, as this is probably the biggest issue weighing on my mind.

4. I've burned through all of my tests, and have retaken many of them. I started a thread recently where I was assured doing a test for a third time isn't that big of a deal, just not an accurate indicator of what you'd actually score. So, I'm not that worried about it. With that said, it would be super nice to have an accurate idea of what I could score before I register for the next LSAT.

Thoughts? #3 is probably my most important consideration.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:11 pm

RamTitan wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:

This is the big internal debate I'm having, and I'd love to get more opinions from you and others:

1. For my personal desire, it goes from Harvard (dream school, know it ain't gonna happen at this point) to Penn to UVA/Duke/Northwestern ED to Michigan/Cornell/Texas/Vanderbilt; I don't care as much about CCN because I don't think I'd get the score necessary to make that financially feasible.

2. If I could get into Penn or Duke with a 169, or Northwestern ED, then I'm a happy camper. If not, then I'm willing to retake.

3. What scares me about retaking is that I wonder if submitting my apps on the first day would be more of an advantage because A) I don't know what my retake will be (could be lower!) and B) I don't know if the advantage of applying early outweighs a 170 or a 171. If someone can point me in the direction where I can figure this out, please let me know, as this is probably the biggest issue weighing on my mind.

4. I've burned through all of my tests, and have retaken many of them. I started a thread recently where I was assured doing a test for a third time isn't that big of a deal, just not an accurate indicator of what you'd actually score. So, I'm not that worried about it. With that said, it would be super nice to have an accurate idea of what I could score before I register for the next LSAT.

In regard to #3 on your list, a higher LSAT score will definitely outweigh any benefit to getting your score in early. Especially because getting apps in by the end of October is still considered to be early.

For #2, you could get those but your chances go up with a successful retake. The upside is just so huge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 pm

A higher lsat score in november is going to outweigh applying september 15. November is still super early. A 169 can get you into duke, and penn if you work hard enough at it. A worse than 169/3.6 got NU ed this year. But a retake can also help all of those.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:

In regard to #3 on your list, a higher LSAT score will definitely outweigh any benefit to getting your score in early. Especially because getting apps in by the end of October is still considered to be early.

For #2, you could get those but your chances go up with a successful retake. The upside is just so huge.
Alright, let's play ball!

One more thing though - a lower score on a retake would not hurt my initial score?

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 pm

RamTitan wrote: Alright, let's play ball!

One more thing though - a lower score on a retake would not hurt my initial score?
Correct. Based on Spivey's comments, high score is what counts.

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:50 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

Although it appears you're planning to retake anyway, I'd like to point out that it's not necessarily accurate that you have an 80% chance if you ED. If you look at it, all the people who were admitted had LSAT scores of >171 and all but one had a GPA that was higher than 3.66. This is big because the class profile for 2015 says that 169 is the LSAT 75th percentile for Northwestern, so all pretty much all of them were in a different position than you.

I've found that the automatic function is not usually very good, because for example in this case it says that someone with a 172/3.84 is in a similar position to you...which I wouldn't think to be the case.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:38 pm

nate3869 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

Although it appears you're planning to retake anyway, I'd like to point out that it's not necessarily accurate that you have an 80% chance if you ED. If you look at it, all the people who were admitted had LSAT scores of >171 and all but one had a GPA that was higher than 3.66. This is big because the class profile for 2015 says that 169 is the LSAT 75th percentile for Northwestern, so all pretty much all of them were in a different position than you.

I've found that the automatic function is not usually very good, because for example in this case it says that someone with a 172/3.84 is in a similar position to you...which I wouldn't think to be the case.
I'm a little confused; wouldn't automatic mean that it shows only users who shared my exact stats?

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:47 pm

RamTitan wrote:
nate3869 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

I'm a little confused; wouldn't automatic mean that it shows only users who shared my exact stats?
No, it means it finds people "around" your similar stats. If you click the arrows on the far right of the results it shows the users and their stats.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:51 pm

nate3869 wrote:
No, it means it finds people "around" your similar stats. If you click the arrows on the far right of the results it shows the users and their stats.
Ahhh....well crap lol. Further solidifies retaking.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm not sure what the automatic does but I don't think it shows people with your exact stats. I tried using the range but with your stats only and nothing showed up. I had to create a big range for it to even pick up an NU ED and still its a tiny applicant pool of 1

Looks like the only NU ED applicant got deferred but still got a 50k scholarship.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think automatic creates the range for you automatically so that you always get a bigger applicant pool in the results

Edit: scooped

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nate3869

New

Post by nate3869 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote: Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think automatic creates the range for you automatically so that you always get a bigger applicant pool in the results
I think this is a better way of expressing it than I put it, though.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:I'm not sure what the automatic does but I don't think it shows people with your exact stats. I tried using the range but with your stats only and nothing showed up. I had to create a big range for it to even pick up an NU ED and still its a tiny applicant pool of 1

Looks like the only NU ED applicant got deferred but still got a 50k scholarship.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think automatic creates the range for you automatically so that you always get a bigger applicant pool in the results

Edit: scooped
Further evidence supporting a retake. I crushed my practice sections today, so I'm feeling pretty confident. Good to be back on board fellas 8)

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Scored a 175 on a retake this weekend. Probably not a super accurate indicator of my real score, but I'm fairly certain I'll retake nonetheless

Edit - just for my own fun/amusement, I'm listing my tiers of desire for school choices

Tier 1 (dreaming) - Harvard, Stanford, Columbia
Tier 2 - Penn, Duke, Northwestern 150k, UVA
Tier 3 - Michigan, Cornell, Texas, Vanderbilt

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:47 pm

RamTitan wrote:Scored a 175 on a retake this weekend. Probably not a super accurate indicator of my real score, but I'm fairly certain I'll retake nonetheless

Edit - just for my own fun/amusement, I'm listing my tiers of desire for school choices

Tier 1 (dreaming) - Harvard, Stanford, Columbia
Tier 2 - Penn, Duke, Northwestern 150k, UVA
Tier 3 - Michigan, Cornell, Texas, Vanderbilt
No interest in NYU or Chicago?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”