3.66, 169 - Duke or Penn?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RamTitan

Silver

3.66, 169 - Duke or Penn?

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:09 pm

deleted
Last edited by RamTitan on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Re: 3.66, 169 - Duke or Penn?

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 pm

RamTitan wrote:White male with a 3.66 in English Writing and 169. Do I have a shot at Duke or Penn? I graduated from undergrad a year ago, so I'm not K-JD, and I have work experience in Internet marketing. Don't have a ton of impressive softs....I was president of multiple honors societies and was in a fraternity, wrote a play and had it produced, but that's about it.

If I can't get into those schools, where can I get into? Read that the lawschoolpredictor site wasn't accurate, so I'm hoping for some insightful info.

TCR is to check myLSN.info

According to their charts (I put in 169 LSAT and 3.6-3.7 GPA), you've got Penn at 29% and Duke at 67%. Of course you're on the higher end of the 3.6-3.7 range, so you could have a slight bump. Take these predictions with a grain of salt, though, because the data comes from self reported scores/GPAs.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:59 pm

mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:White male with a 3.66 in English Writing and 169. Do I have a shot at Duke or Penn? I graduated from undergrad a year ago, so I'm not K-JD, and I have work experience in Internet marketing. Don't have a ton of impressive softs....I was president of multiple honors societies and was in a fraternity, wrote a play and had it produced, but that's about it.

If I can't get into those schools, where can I get into? Read that the lawschoolpredictor site wasn't accurate, so I'm hoping for some insightful info.

According to their charts (I put in 169 LSAT and 3.6-3.7 GPA), you've got Penn at 29% and Duke at 67%. Of course you're on the higher end of the 3.6-3.7 range, so you could have a slight bump. Take these predictions with a grain of salt, though, because the data comes from self reported scores/GPAs.

Yeah, I wasn't super thorough before posting.

Could I apply ED to Northwestern and still apply to those schools RD? I'd love to go to Duke or Penn, but paying fullfreight after early decision would seriously suck.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 pm

RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Could I apply ED to Northwestern and still apply to those schools RD? I'd love to go to Duke or Penn, but paying fullfreight after early decision would seriously suck.

You can apply RD to as many schools as you want, but you can only apply to one school ED, and if you get in then you have to immediately reject any other acceptances and withdraw your other applications.

If going to Duke or Penn is really your dream, don't apply ED anywhere. Apply RD everywhere, and see what happens. Maybe you get a few bucks from somewhere else and can use it as a gambling chip for one of those two. However, if you just want t14 and don't really care where, Northwestern ED is a great option for debt-averse students. However, given your numbers, getting in to Northwestern is still a long shot, but you never know. Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown are all within your grasp + $ as well.

Good luck!

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 pm

mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

However, if you just want t14 and don't really care where, Northwestern ED is a great option for debt-averse students. However, given your numbers, getting in to Northwestern is still a long shot, but you never know. Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown are all within your grasp + $ as well.

Good luck!

MyLSN put me at a 67% with Northwestern ED.

I'm debating between retaking the LSAT (never scored higher than a 171 on a fresh take after a year of studying, so I'm not sure if it's worth it) or submitting my application the very first day.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:26 pm

RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

However, if you just want t14 and don't really care where, Northwestern ED is a great option for debt-averse students. However, given your numbers, getting in to Northwestern is still a long shot, but you never know. Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown are all within your grasp + $ as well.

Good luck!

I'm debating between retaking the LSAT (never scored higher than a 171 on a fresh take after a year of studying, so I'm not sure if it's worth it) or submitting my application the very first day.

What numbers are you putting in on myLSN? I put in 169, 3.6-3.7, and to only show non-URM ED, and it says that only one person applied and got rejected in the last 5 years.

Edit: Also, getting over that 170 hump is HUGE for t14 schools based on my understanding.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:29 pm

mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Good luck!

What numbers are you putting in on myLSN? I put in 169, 3.6-3.7, and to only show non-URM ED, and it says that only one person applied and got rejected in the last 5 years.

Edit: Also, getting over that 170 hump is HUGE for t14 schools based on my understanding.

I did the automatic option with 3.66 and 169

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:32 pm

RamTitan wrote:I did the automatic option with 3.66 and 169

I'm not familiar with that (only been TLSing for a couple of weeks), where is that on the site?

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:36 pm

mwells56 wrote:

I'm not familiar with that (only been TLSing for a couple of weeks), where is that on the site?

You can pick between "normal" or "automatic"; they're right next to each other.

This is what I'm looking at - http://mylsn.info/012to5/

This is extended all the way to May, but I would submit in September

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 pm

RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Well I'll be damned, there it is. Sounds like you've got a solid chance, but not a slam dunk.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 pm

mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Well I'll be damned, there it is. Sounds like you've got a solid chance, but not a slam dunk.

Yup, that is a good way to put it.

Do you know if I can retake in September, and still submit my apps before sitting again for the test? And then just send the score when I get it? And if the score is lower than a 169, will it hurt my admissions chances?

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:00 pm

RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Do you know if I can retake in September, and still submit my apps before sitting again for the test? And then just send the score when I get it? And if the score is lower than a 169, will it hurt my admissions chances?

I'm sure there's posters on this board that have a lot more knowledge about this than I do, but it seems to be fairly common for June disappointments to retake in September. I know you can begin your application, and then send in the score later, but some (perhaps all? not sure what the standard is) schools won't actually begin to review it until your app is complete.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 pm

RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Read MS9's thread. High score is what counts. Of you plan to retake in September (even if you think you might only be able to snag one more point it's worth it) I would wait to submit your apps til after your score is back. Have everything polished up though so that you can just submit once scores are back. I retook the October test last cycle and submitted at the end of October within a week of scores coming back and was still pretty early getting apps in

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 am

pittsburghpirates wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Read MS9's thread. High score is what counts. Of you plan to retake in September (even if you think you might only be able to snag one more point it's worth it) I would wait to submit your apps til after your score is back. Have everything polished up though so that you can just submit once scores are back. I retook the October test last cycle and submitted at the end of October within a week of scores coming back and was still pretty early getting apps in

Okay, that's sound advice. Now it's going to come down to whether I retake or not.....I honestly don't want to go through the emotional turmoil for just another point. With that said, I'm planning on taking Test 60 this Saturday (only took one way back in December, so it should be sorta fresh). I think I'll make a retake decision based off of that.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:41 am

With a 3.66 and a 169, how does this look for an application list?

Northwestern - ED

Reaches - Chicago, Columbia (not super sure I'd want to go to either of these, and also it seems like I'd need a 175+ for money)
Mid-Reaches - Penn
Matches - Michigan, Cal-Berkeley, UVA, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, Texas, UCLA, Vanderbilt
Safety - Colorado (figure I could live here the rest of my life if need be)

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Bumping this

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:45 pm

RamTitan wrote:With a 3.66 and a 169, how does this look for an application list?

Northwestern - ED

Reaches - Chicago, Columbia (not super sure I'd want to go to either of these, and also it seems like I'd need a 175+ for money)
Mid-Reaches - Penn
Matches - Michigan, Cal-Berkeley, UVA, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, Texas, UCLA, Vanderbilt

I wouldn't say Berk, UVA or Duke are good solid matches. I think you will get into 1 of the 3, but not all 3 I imagine.

Smibea

New

Postby Smibea » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 pm

RamTitan wrote:With a 3.66 and a 169, how does this look for an application list?

Northwestern - ED

Mid-Reaches - Penn

Would you consider WUSTL?

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm

grades?? wrote:

Northwestern - ED

Mid-Reaches - Penn

I wouldn't say Berk, UVA or Duke are good solid matches. I think you will get into 1 of the 3, but not all 3 I imagine.

I'd imagine Berk would turn me down because of my GPA

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Smibea wrote:

Northwestern - ED

Mid-Reaches - Penn

I live in STL and am from there, so I really should put it on my list; however, I would REALLY like to move away to somewhere else for law school and ideally my professional life. I like Saint Louis, but I need a change of pace.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:23 pm

RamTitan wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Okay, that's sound advice. Now it's going to come down to whether I retake or not.....I honestly don't want to go through the emotional turmoil for just another point. With that said, I'm planning on taking Test 60 this Saturday (only took one way back in December, so it should be sorta fresh). I think I'll make a retake decision based off of that.

I can understand not wanting to go through it again but the upside is just too great. 2 more point takes you from at median LSAT at some of your targets to above the 75th. With your GPA that could be a difference of tens of thousands of dollars.

As for your target list, if you are going to ED somewhere, NU is the one to do it at. Can't speak to your chances of getting it, but make sure to consider that it's not a full ride. $150K is certainly a great outcome, but Chicago has higher COL than some of the other options you mentioned (Duke for example) and tuition at NU is higher than some of the other T14 as well. Just something to think about. With your GPA, apply to as many of the T14 and strong regionals as you can to try to get more offers to negotiate.

Smibea

New

Postby Smibea » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Smibea wrote:

Northwestern - ED

Mid-Reaches - Penn

I live in STL and am from there, so I really should put it on my list; however, I would REALLY like to move away to somewhere else for law school and ideally my professional life. I like Saint Louis, but I need a change of pace.

Definitely sympathize with this (grew up and attended college in the same city), but it's good for negotiation, if nothing else. If they give you substantial money (which they should) you'll be able to negotiate for more with Texas and Vanderbilt at the very least.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 pm

pittsburghpirates wrote:
I can understand not wanting to go through it again but the upside is just too great. 2 more point takes you from at median LSAT at some of your targets to above the 75th. With your GPA that could be a difference of tens of thousands of dollars.

As for your target list, if you are going to ED somewhere, NU is the one to do it at. Can't speak to your chances of getting it, but make sure to consider that it's not a full ride. $150K is certainly a great outcome, but Chicago has higher COL than some of the other options you mentioned (Duke for example) and tuition at NU is higher than some of the other T14 as well. Just something to think about. With your GPA, apply to as many of the T14 and strong regionals as you can to try to get more offers to negotiate.

My major issue with retaking is that I've taken 60-77 2x and drilled sections already and have also retaken many of 40-60; so the only fresh material I have are tests 11-39 (drilled 1-10). I've gotten 175+ on retakes, but that's pretty clearly not an accurate indicator of my scoring abilities. So I wouldn't know to assess where I'm at....

Regardless, I'll take or retake a PT this weekend and see how it goes.

Edit - also, my parents do have a substantial amount of money saved for me to go to school. They initially wanted me to go to SLU or Carbondale immediately after graduating, but I convinced them it would be foolish to do so; I think I did my job too well though, as now they are disappointed with my test results :roll:

With that said, they'll definitely have a big say on where I get to school if want access to that money. This is part of the reason why I know shooting for a place like Columbia or NYU is frivolous (and possibly even Penn since my Dad is terrified of Philly).
Last edited by RamTitan on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Smibea wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Smibea wrote:

Northwestern - ED

Mid-Reaches - Penn

Definitely sympathize with this (grew up and attended college in the same city), but it's good for negotiation, if nothing else. If they give you substantial money (which they should) you'll be able to negotiate for more with Texas and Vanderbilt at the very least.

That's a great point. I'll make sure to apply there as well then.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 pm

So now I'm thinking more like:

Chicago
Penn
UVA
Berkeley
Duke
Michigan
Northwestern - ED or nah? You have to go there if you ED, right?
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Washu
USC - worth it?

Safeties
Colorado
Denver

This is a preemptive list for if I don't retake.

Return to “What are my chances??