-

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dg99

New

-

Postby dg99 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:40 pm

-
Last edited by dg99 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: ED Northwestern Chances?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:53 pm

I'm not quite sure how the international grading transfers, but assuming that "superior" is an A-/A average, I don't think you should ED unless you're absolutely positive you want to go to Northwestern.

dg99

New

Re: ED Northwestern Chances? (170 / no numerical gpa)

Postby dg99 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Thank you for the reply! I'm just extremely debt averse and the 150K NU scholly is really tempting (also attracted to NU's emphasis on WE, location in Chicago, etc). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was also thinking that I wouldn't have a strong shot at decent money from other T14s given my stats.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Well, again, I'm not familiar with how the international grades are treated, but a 170 and an A/A- average usually gets good money at T14.

I'm not saying Northwestern would be an objectively bad decision. If you think that it's the right school for you, then the ED process is the best way to guarantee you get good money from them. But if you're only applying early because you think that you won't get an offer elsewhere, I think you can probably be a little more optimistic.

dg99

New

Postby dg99 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:34 am

Sorry to keep bumping - what are people's thoughts on my chances for ED at NU, specifically given my stats? I think I've decided that I won't retake if it turns out that if I have a very strong shot for NU ED (will retake if my chances aren't so good).

mjjames

New

Postby mjjames » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:27 pm

I would forget about ED at NU. The fact that you don't have a gpa will hurt you since law schools try to use the gpa to boost their own rankings. Also - getting into NU through ED is exponentially harder than RD. You need to have HYSCCN numbers, which you clearly don't have.

You might maaaybe get a couple of the bottom T-14s (Cornell/Gtown) if you are lucky but I would forget about money.

Meow Meowsworth

New

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm

mjjames wrote:I would forget about ED at NU. The fact that you don't have a gpa will hurt you since law schools try to use the gpa to boost their own rankings. Also - getting into NU through ED is exponentially harder than RD. You need to have HYSCCN numbers, which you clearly don't have.

You might maaaybe get a couple of the bottom T-14s (Cornell/Gtown) if you are lucky but I would forget about money.

I suppose not having a GPA could hurt you, but the part about needing to have HYSCCN numbers just isn't correct. There are plenty of people with just above median numbers who get it. Here's a sample from just this year:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CSKLawz

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/RosieTheRiveter

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/urbanist11

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/pretzelroll

OP, I think your biggest worry should be LSAT medians rising. At the moment, you have a decent shot at ED, but if Northwestern's LSAT median goes up to 169 or 170, your chances are greatly diminished.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Yeah, I'm not buying the "No GPA, no money" argument at all. Are we saying that every Oxford alum is struggling for admission and scholarship funding?

dryuasd

New

Postby dryuasd » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

I would forget about ED at NU. The fact that you don't have a gpa will hurt you since law schools try to use the gpa to boost their own rankings. Also - getting into NU through ED is exponentially harder than RD. You need to have HYSCCN numbers, which you clearly don't have.

This is just plain wrong. Sure, not having a gpa won't help you, but it's misleading to argue that it would hurt someone. An international rating will be like having a median GPA (since it won't affect the school's rankings). So if you have an international rating and an above 75% LSAT, you're in a better place than someone with a slightly below median gpa and an above 75% LSAT. OP, you have a LSAT that is above NU's 75% of 169. I think you have a very good shot at ED NU. As another poster mentioned, the median LSAT might increase this year. But even if 75% increases to 170, you'll still be in good shape.

I would imagine that having a "Superior" (especially if you went to a prestigious undergrad) could count as a (very) slightly helpful soft.

dryuasd

New

Postby dryuasd » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:15 pm

What are you talking about and what are you basing this on? The OP's lsat score is at 75% or higher for 8 of the T-14 and at median or higher for all but the T3 plus Columbia. Schools can shore up their LSAT medians without worrying about sacrificing gpa, which is why it's ludicrous to suggest that the OP can only get into Cornell and GTown.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:17 pm

mjjames wrote:I would forget about ED at NU. The fact that you don't have a gpa will hurt you since law schools try to use the gpa to boost their own rankings. Also - getting into NU through ED is exponentially harder than RD. You need to have HYSCCN numbers, which you clearly don't have.

OP, this guys is trolling you. Everyone except this post is giving you good advice. Don't worry about James...

dg99

New

Postby dg99 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Thank you! I was honestly starting to get really worried haha

Return to “What are my chances??