3.53/177

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mellifluous

New

3.53/177

Postby mellifluous » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi everyone. So I took the LSAT twice. I got a 174 the first time and a 177 the second time. The low GPA is partially due to health issues and partially due to a somewhat misguided Chinese minor. I got a 4.0 my last two semesters and graduated with Highest Honors (wrote a thesis) in the department I majored in (philosophy). My LoR should be very strong.

mylsn.info actually has my chances being lower with a 177 than a 174 everywhere in the T14 except Penn, Berkeley, UVA, and Cornell. I see two possible explanations for that: either the higher score actually hurts my chances, or the sample size with a 177 is too small to draw any conclusions (it looks like only 4 people with 3.5-3.55 and 177 in the past five years). The latter seems more likely.

So my questions are: 1. Could the higher score have actually hurt my chances? 2. Is it worth applying to HYSC with these stats? 3. I'm also applying to philosophy PhD programs and am hoping to do a JD/PhD. Will disclosing this affect my chances? 4. If I'm not interested in BL and do care about getting money, should I apply outside of the T14?

Thanks!

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: 3.53/177

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:55 pm

No a higher lsat score doesn't hurt your chances jfc

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Are you a URM?

Even if you are not you still have a good shot at HC, but without URM status you have very little chance at YS.

Gongrats on your score too! That's amazing! A 174-177 jump will help marginally, but it's also definitely not going to hurt you. The mylsn sample size is just too small for 3.5/177

Smibea

New

Postby Smibea » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm

1. Might hurt you more in terms of yield protection. Write "Why x" essays for all of the lower T14 (Penn and below) that you want.
2. Certainly worth applying to H and C (Chicago or Columbia? Either way, apply to it) S and Y--not a very high chance, but if you want to throw out a Hail Mary app, then why not
3. Honestly, not sure--hopefully someone else will weigh in.
4. I honestly don't know if there's much of a point to doing that, but I guess it depends--what exactly do you want to do with your PhD/law degree?

mellifluous

New

Postby mellifluous » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Smibea wrote:1. Might hurt you more in terms of yield protection. Write "Why x" essays for all of the lower T14 (Penn and below) that you want.
2. Certainly worth applying to H and C (Chicago or Columbia? Either way, apply to it) S and Y--not a very high chance, but if you want to throw out a Hail Mary app, then why not
3. Honestly, not sure--hopefully someone else will weigh in.
4. I honestly don't know if there's much of a point to doing that, but I guess it depends--what exactly do you want to do with your PhD/law degree?

Thanks for replying! If I do both, then academia. If I only do law, then I'm interested in international law or public interest.

Smibea

New

Postby Smibea » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Gotcha. At that point, there's almost no point in applying to schools below the T-14, imo. I quickly searched top Philosophy PhD programs, and assuming the below website is accurate, the schools that have PhD and law programs tend to already be in the T-14 (Chicago, Berkeley, Michigan, NYU, Stanford, Columbia: all in the top 10). Rutgers also has a law school, but please don't enroll there.

Return to “What are my chances??