3.7 LSAC GPA/shooting for 168-172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mwells56

Silver

3.7 LSAC GPA/shooting for 168-172

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm a rising junior at xxx, looking to start studying for the LSAT at the end of this summer. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I've always been above-average-but-not-tippity-top at standardized tests (xxACT, xx SAT), so I'm trying to shoot for ~168.

My LSAC GPA is a lot higher than my undergrad GPA (3.64 vs. 3.7), xxx

Being a kid growing up on Long Island I've always wanted to spend my 20s in Manhattan, and would love to go to Columbia/NYU. But realistically I'd be happy going anywhere in the T14 (besides Cornell or Yale, because reasons).

Sorry this is kind of a long-winded OP, but say I land on a 168, what should I be looking at?

edit: privacy reasons
Last edited by mwells56 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kepfd_24

New

Re: 3.7 LSAC GPA/shooting for 168-172

Postby kepfd_24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Mylsn for chances but with 3.7/168 CCN unlikely. Probably somewhere like MVPD

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:31 pm

mwells56 wrote:I'm a rising junior at Michigan, looking to start studying for the LSAT at the end of this summer. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I've always been above-average-but-not-tippity-top at standardized tests (34 ACT, 2100 SAT), so I'm trying to shoot for ~168.

My LSAC GPA is a lot higher than my undergrad GPA (3.64 vs. 3.7), I've been VP of a club sports team as a sophomore and junior (will be president as a senior), done a couple other clubs, and am currently doing a summer internship for Dentons. I major in Cognitive Science and also just applied to the Minor in Business program (find out in July) if that matters. I'm in a social fraternity but also thinking about joining a pre-law frat when I get back to campus, but haven't decided on that yet.

Being a kid growing up on Long Island I've always wanted to spend my 20s in Manhattan, and would love to go to Columbia/NYU. But realistically I'd be happy going anywhere in the T14 (besides Cornell or Yale, because reasons).

Sorry this is kind of a long-winded OP, but say I land on a 168, what should I be looking at?

Ok, so first off you should come back with this question once you have a score so you can get real answers.

Second, the underlined stuff doesn't really matter at all when it comes to law school admissions.

Lastly, if you were to score 168-170 you would most likely be out at YHS with a slim shot at Columbia/NYU but would almost certainly be sticker price and you can probably get $$ from Cornell. I'm not really sure why you would rule out Cornell though? It will be your best option for a good scholarship and you can spend the rest of your life in the city afterwords. Cornell places really well in the city and you should not overlook that.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:I'm a rising junior at Michigan, looking to start studying for the LSAT at the end of this summer. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I've always been above-average-but-not-tippity-top at standardized tests (34 ACT, 2100 SAT), so I'm trying to shoot for ~168.

My LSAC GPA is a lot higher than my undergrad GPA (3.64 vs. 3.7), I've been VP of a club sports team as a sophomore and junior (will be president as a senior), done a couple other clubs, and am currently doing a summer internship for Dentons. I major in Cognitive Science and also just applied to the Minor in Business program (find out in July) if that matters. I'm in a social fraternity but also thinking about joining a pre-law frat when I get back to campus, but haven't decided on that yet.

Ok, so first off you should come back with this question once you have a score so you can get real answers.

Second, the underlined stuff doesn't really matter at all when it comes to law school admissions.

Lastly, if you were to score 168-170 you would most likely be out at YHS with a slim shot at Columbia/NYU but would almost certainly be sticker price and you can probably get $$ from Cornell. I'm not really sure why you would rule out Cornell though? It will be your best option for a good scholarship and you can spend the rest of your life in the city afterwords. Cornell places really well in the city and you should not overlook that.

Yeah sorry about that, just trying to get a better idea of what my goals should be.

Do clubs and stuff like that really not matter? I'm new to this whole process so I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Money isn't an issue. I've ruled out Cornell for personal reasons, family stuff. Long story.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:43 pm

mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Yeah sorry about that, just trying to get a better idea of what my goals should be.

Do clubs and stuff like that really not matter? I'm new to this whole process so I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Money isn't an issue. I've ruled out Cornell for personal reasons, family stuff. Long story.

Unfortunately, unless you're an Olympic athlete, politicians child, you've cured some sort of disease, ect. then your softs will not get you any boost into a school your numbers won't get you into. It's a numbers game.

What are your goals? Do you want big law? If so you will most likely need a 172+ minimum to see Columbia/NYU.

If you don't want big law then with a 168-170 you could definitely snag Fordham for free which is still a great option in the city

Edit: spelling

kepfd_24

New

Postby kepfd_24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:44 pm

That stinks because Cornell would be a fantastic option given your goals. Break 170 for nyu or Columbia, but you'd probably be better off trying to get bigger $ at a Duke/Michigan type

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Unfortunately, unless you're an Olympic athlete, politicians child, you've cured some sort of disease, ect. then your softs will not get you any boost into a school your numbers won't get you into. It's a numbers game.

What are your goals? Do you want big law? If so you will most likely need a 172+ minimum to see Columbia/NYU.

If you don't want big law then with a 168-170 you could definitely snag Fordham for free which is still a great option in the city

I think I'd like to start out in big law and then move on to something else later on, been pushing that decision off until later. Right now all I know is that I want to snag the T14 so I have as many options as possible in the future.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:48 pm

kepfd_24 wrote:That stinks because Cornell would be a fantastic option given your goals. Break 170 for nyu or Columbia, but you'd probably be better off trying to get bigger $ at a Duke/Michigan type

Ok, yeah, this is about what I was expecting. Definitely would love to spend 3 more years in Ann Arbor, haha.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:49 pm

mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

I think I'd like to start out in big law and then move on to something else later on, been pushing that decision off until later. Right now all I know is that I want to snag the T14 so I have as many options as possible in the future.

Study your ass off and break 171-172+ and you can snag NYU/Columbia. With a 168-170 you will have T14 acceptances, but not in NY(other than Cornell but you've ruled that out). Think Michigan, Duke, Penn, GULC, UVA and Berkley is a black box so who knows.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Study your ass off and break 171-172+ and you can snag NYU/Columbia. With a 168-170 you will have T14 acceptances, but not in NY(other than Cornell but you've ruled that out). Think Michigan, Duke, Penn, GULC, UVA and Berkley is a black box so who knows.

Thanks, man. This was really helpful. I just found this site the other day, and I'm super obsessive when it comes to admissions stuff like this, when I was in high school I knew all the numbers for getting into undergrad programs. This site's been really great for feeding my obsessions :mrgreen:

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:19 pm

Oh you have no idea. The admissions info is just the tip of the iceberg on here :lol:

Good luck!

AntsInMyEyesJohnson

New

Postby AntsInMyEyesJohnson » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:29 pm

mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
Thanks, man. This was really helpful. I just found this site the other day, and I'm super obsessive when it comes to admissions stuff like this, when I was in high school I knew all the numbers for getting into undergrad programs. This site's been really great for feeding my obsessions :mrgreen:

You're already off to a solid start by finding TLS this soon. With your track record of doing well on standardized tests, there's no reasons to set your sights on anything less than 170 for your LSAT. Lower half of T14 would all be in play for you with a decent score.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:34 pm

[/quote]

You're already off to a solid start by finding TLS this soon. With your track record of doing well on standardized tests, there's no reasons to set your sights on anything less than 170 for your LSAT. Lower half of T14 would all be in play for you with a decent score.[/quote]

Works for me, thanks!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:35 pm

mwells56 wrote:

You're already off to a solid start by finding TLS this soon. With your track record of doing well on standardized tests, there's no reasons to set your sights on anything less than 170 for your LSAT. Lower half of T14 would all be in play for you with a decent score.[/quote]

Works for me, thanks![/quote]

Also you'll find that the LSAT prep section of TLS is often times just as helpful if not more helpful than most study materials/classes out there!

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

You're already off to a solid start by finding TLS this soon. With your track record of doing well on standardized tests, there's no reasons to set your sights on anything less than 170 for your LSAT. Lower half of T14 would all be in play for you with a decent score.

Works for me, thanks![/quote]

Also you'll find that the LSAT prep section of TLS is often times just as helpful if not more helpful than most study materials/classes out there![/quote]

Yup, I've been browsing there as well. I haven't looked into it too seriously though, I'm currently abroad and am waiting until I get home to start chugging.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:22 am

Update: timed myself taking the June 07 test off of LSAC's website and got a 157. Pretty satisfied with this as a starting point. I haven't done any formal preparation outside of perusing TLS and the couple of logic classes I've taken before.

schocolate

Silver

Postby schocolate » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:54 am

I had your high school test scores, your LSAC GPA, and around your LSAT diagnostic, and I got a 176 on the test. You can definitely study your way to 170+, and I think a 172 is totally feasible. A 172+ seems like it should make Columbia/NYU a strong possibility, but I'd check MyLSN and take all predictions with a grain of salt.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Postby Nachoo2019 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 am

mwells56 wrote:Update: timed myself taking the June 07 test off of LSAC's website and got a 157. Pretty satisfied with this as a starting point. I haven't done any formal preparation outside of perusing TLS and the couple of logic classes I've taken before.

That is an amazing diagnostic. You would almost crack the top 25th percentile of test takers without any study or prep. There is no reason for you not to be able to score 170+ with the right prep!

Goldchain

New

Postby Goldchain » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:42 pm

mwells56 wrote:Update: timed myself taking the June 07 test off of LSAC's website and got a 157. Pretty satisfied with this as a starting point. I haven't done any formal preparation outside of perusing TLS and the couple of logic classes I've taken before.

Going up 15 points from diagnostic is not hard if you study correctly. If most of your missed points are in logic games and you study using 7sage, you'll be at NYU or Columbia next year for sure. Shoot for a 173

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gpa-3.7/lsat-173

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Goldchain wrote:

Going up 15 points from diagnostic is not hard if you study correctly. If most of your missed points are in logic games and you study using 7sage, you'll be at NYU or Columbia next year for sure. Shoot for a 173

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gpa-3.7/lsat-173

Yup, that was exactly what killed me. I got -10 on LG. I expect to go up on that a lot, as I've taken a couple of logic classes in the past that seem to work on similar principles (edit: and got A's in both those classes), just need to learn the way these work. I also got kinda lazy on the reading comprehension because I was starting to get tired after working 9-6.

I only got a -2 on the first LR section :shock: (thank you philosophy classes?)

Honestly I'm starting to consider starting my studying now and seeing where I'm at to try and take it in September before the semester really kicks in. Only issue is I'm abroad for basically the rest of the summer and don't need the added burden of studying for the LSAT with working an internship while living out of a hotel room. Not sure if my luggage can afford to add the weight of prep books, lol
Last edited by mwells56 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Also thanks again to everyone for the feedback, y'all are filling me with confidence and I'm liking it.

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 pm

schocolate wrote:I had your high school test scores, your LSAC GPA, and around your LSAT diagnostic, and I got a 176 on the test. You can definitely study your way to 170+, and I think a 172 is totally feasible. A 172+ seems like it should make Columbia/NYU a strong possibility, but I'd check MyLSN and take all predictions with a grain of salt.

Dang, I've been waiting for this site to push me towards someone with roughly my numbers. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

schocolate

Silver

Postby schocolate » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:10 pm

mwells56 wrote:
schocolate wrote:I had your high school test scores, your LSAC GPA, and around your LSAT diagnostic, and I got a 176 on the test. You can definitely study your way to 170+, and I think a 172 is totally feasible. A 172+ seems like it should make Columbia/NYU a strong possibility, but I'd check MyLSN and take all predictions with a grain of salt.

Dang, I've been waiting for this site to push me towards someone with roughly my numbers. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Glad to help, good luck with everything!

Goldchain

New

Postby Goldchain » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:17 pm

If you have $250 to study I would get 7sage starter LSAT course and 2 of the most recent LSAT books with 10 tests (20 tests total)... That and tests 72-77 are all you really need.

Return to “What are my chances??