URM 2.86 GPA 160 LSAT. Which CA schools? Retake? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
calmike

Bronze

URM 2.86 GPA 160 LSAT. Which CA schools? Retake?

Post by calmike » Tue May 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello,

I took the October LSAT and received a 160. I waited out the cycle to retake again this coming September. If I do get a 160 again or I do not score higher, which CA schools should I am to apply to?

I would not mind attending UC Hastings or Loyola. However, I will make sure that it makes sense financially to attend those schools. If it doesn't, then I will get a Masters in a different field.

Life is rolling along and I need to make a decision soon.

GFox345

Bronze

Re: URM 2.86 GPA 160 LSAT. Which CA schools? Retake?

Post by GFox345 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 pm

calmike wrote:Hello,

I took the October LSAT and received a 160. I waited out the cycle to retake again this coming September. If I do get a 160 again or I do not score higher, which CA schools should I am to apply to?

I would not mind attending UC Hastings or Loyola. However, I will make sure that it makes sense financially to attend those schools. If it doesn't, then I will get a Masters in a different field.

So according to some of your earlier posts, you were PTing in the 167-170 range. I too scored lower than my PT average (although it was more like 3 points lower than 7-10) on the October 2015 LSAT, but I retook in December and did 2 points better. I also had the advantage of having a GPA that was above-median at the schools that I applied to.

Unfortunately, your GPA is pretty bad and is not going to get you anywhere. Considering your URM status, however, you could easily break into the T-14 with money if you can hit a 168+. Just use your two remaining tries on the LSAT to try to hit that 168+. If you don't, you could try applying to some lower-tier law schools in CA, but given that you have the potential to score 10 points better than your current score, I think you will kick yourself for years if you sell yourself short like that.

Do not get a Masters.

Good Luck!

queenb921

New

Post by queenb921 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:34 pm

I am also a URM, 2.9 GPA and 161 LSAT. I am going to Loyola with ~65% scholarship. I also got in to Hastings with a small scholarship.

My GPA had a really strong upward trend, and my LSAT score was pretty reflective of my practice test scores. (Highest I had gotten was a 162)

If you were PTing up to 170 I would say retake. I kind of wish I did to up my scholarship offers.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:29 pm

GFox345 wrote:
calmike wrote:Hello,

So according to some of your earlier posts, you were PTing in the 167-170 range. I too scored lower than my PT average (although it was more like 3 points lower than 7-10) on the October 2015 LSAT, but I retook in December and did 2 points better. I also had the advantage of having a GPA that was above-median at the schools that I applied to.

Unfortunately, your GPA is pretty bad and is not going to get you anywhere. Considering your URM status, however, you could easily break into the T-14 with money if you can hit a 168+. Just use your two remaining tries on the LSAT to try to hit that 168+. If you don't, you could try applying to some lower-tier law schools in CA, but given that you have the potential to score 10 points better than your current score, I think you will kick yourself for years if you sell yourself short like that.

Do not get a Masters.

Good Luck!
Hello GFox345! Thank you.

Currently, I am retaking in September to what hopefully will be a 165+.

I was PTing in that score range but I failed on my LSAT. Hopefully I will do better when I retake.

calmike

Bronze

Post by calmike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:30 pm

queenb921 wrote:I am also a URM, 2.9 GPA and 161 LSAT. I am going to Loyola with ~65% scholarship. I also got in to Hastings with a small scholarship.

My GPA had a really strong upward trend, and my LSAT score was pretty reflective of my practice test scores. (Highest I had gotten was a 162)

If you were PTing up to 170 I would say retake. I kind of wish I did to up my scholarship offers.

Good luck at Loyola!

Thanks. I will apply and hopefully get in good schools with good scholarships :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”