University of Denver (Strum) splitter chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jokay

New

University of Denver (Strum) splitter chances

Post by Jokay » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 am

Hello,

I am a perspective law school student who is looking forward to attend law school in Fall 2017.
My decision on law school was late, I decided to pursue law school during my senior year of college.
However, my undergraduate GPA isn't outstandingly impeccable..... if anything, it is too embarrassing.
I have about 2 weeks till graduation and I am 110% sure that I will graduate with a cumulative 2.87 GPA.

I plan on studying for the LSAT as soon as I return home to Denver after graduation (May- Early September) and take my very first LSAT in September.
The schools that I am dead set on applying are: University of Denver, Arizona State, and University of Colorado.
Since I am a splitter, what are my chances for those 3 schools listed above if I were to get around 160-165 on my LSAT? Do I even have a chance at all for any law school? Also, I want to take the LSAT at least twice (September and December). WIll it be too late to apply after the December test?

Please help me out!
Thank you.

fishpaste1

Bronze

Re: University of Denver (Strum) splitter chances

Post by fishpaste1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:29 am

Last edited by fishpaste1 on Mon May 02, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jokay

New

Re: University of Denver (Strum) splitter chances

Post by Jokay » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:34 pm

fishpaste1 wrote:Yo,

I'm a fellow Coloradan with a low GPA, so I understand your fears. Your GPA won't help you, but it definitely won't prohibit you from getting into law school (especially the schools you listed). The general rule of thumb is that if you're below the 25th percentile GPA for a particular school (which you will be at all of these), you should aim to be above their 75th percentile LSAT for a good shot at admittance. ASU's 75th is 163, CU is 163 and DU is 158. So, at a minimum, you should be shooting for that number, but obviously the higher you get your odds/scholarship money will increase.

Here's a good site to check out your chances: http://mylsn.info/. I plugged in GPA: 2.8-3.0 and LSAT 160-165 and it looks like those #'s would make you competitive at all three schools (see here: http://mylsn.info/2kjd58/#)

Applying in December is not too late, however, it will put you at a slight disadvantage because you have a low GPA. FWIW, I have a 3.1 and a 168 and applied in December and got into CU and DU with good money. Nonetheless, you should try to knock the September LSAT out of the park and get your applications in as early as possible. Make sure you're already planning Letters of Recommendation and all of that because those take a bit of time to get and process. I'm not sure what your LSAT study plans are, but make sure to take advantage of all the resources on this site. The LSAT is a very learn-able test, so don't settle for a score you are not happy with.

Best of luck and hope that helps some!
This helped so much!! Thank you!!!

Return to “What are my chances?”