Princeton grad applying top schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Gstate

New

Princeton grad applying top schools

Post by Gstate » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:45 pm

Hey guys,

First time I've been on the forum, wanted to
Get some feedback on top schools, specifically Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, Yale.

-Princeton class of 2015
-GPA:3.35 (grade deflation is the worst)
-LSAT: 173
-African-Canadian

I've spent my summers from 2011-2015 interning in investment banking in New York and Toronto at JPMorgan. After grad, I worked full time
At JPM in London, England for a year.

Im about to start a year long position with a Member Parliament in Canada (the equivalent of a hybrid between a congressman and senator in US terms) doing constituency work specifically with regards to rural poverty.

Appreciate any feedback

Gstate

New

Re: Princeton grad applying top schools

Post by Gstate » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:49 pm

any and all help would be good, applications arent cheap

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Gstate wrote:any and all help would be good, applications arent cheap
I would think MyLSN would have info for you.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Apply to everywhere and get your apps in early. myLSN has very small sample sizes for your stat range, but you should be in for a great cycle. I can't speak to how your GPA from Princeton will be viewed, but Princeton grads are certainly well represented at top schools so I would imagine adcomms are pretty well aware of the grade deflation. Good luck with your cycle!

Gstate

New

Post by Gstate » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks very much, one thing I noticed is that not much attention is paid to professional/work experiences on the forums. Can anyone speak to how (if at all) this plays into decisions? Of course these things arent measurable on MyLSN and so I thought I'd ask

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Gstate wrote:Thanks very much, one thing I noticed is that not much attention is paid to professional/work experiences on the forums. Can anyone speak to how (if at all) this plays into decisions? Of course these things arent measurable on MyLSN and so I thought I'd ask
Work experience isn't very important in admissions. Some IB and legislature experience is pretty unremarkable stuff at top schools. Good for interviews in the future, however.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:19 pm

pretty good shot at HCCN down. coinflip's chance at YS. Why UCLA? Seems kind of random to me.

I've personally never understood why people from super elite undergrads want to go to law school but to each their own.

ETA: nobody cares about your work experience. Trust me on this.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:20 pm

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Gstate wrote:Thanks very much, one thing I noticed is that not much attention is paid to professional/work experiences on the forums. Can anyone speak to how (if at all) this plays into decisions? Of course these things arent measurable on MyLSN and so I thought I'd ask
Softs factors are usually not very important. As mentioned above, your softs are OK and will not be that helpful, as law school admissions is heavily based on numbers. (As a general rule, if you are above both the LSAT and GPA medians, you will probably be accepted, although exceptions do exist). Law schools known for accepting splitters are UVA and Northwestern.

Examples of very good softs:

Rhodes Scholarship, Marshall Scholarship, Fulbright, etc. (You get the point.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Gray wrote:
FWIW it will be considered more heavily at UofT (if you apply).
True, I would suggest applying to Toronto, McGill, and UBC as well.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 pm

HYPSM wrote:Law schools known for accepting splitters are UVA and Northwestern.
Dude is a URM with a 173 and a HYP undergrad. I think he can do better than UVA and Northwestern.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 pm

you'd be an idiot to go to law school.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:27 pm

dabigchina wrote:
HYPSM wrote:Law schools known for accepting splitters are UVA and Northwestern.
Dude is a URM with a 173 and a HYP undergrad. I think he can do better than UVA and Northwestern.
Agreed, but OP is the one who mentioned UCLA. I personally think he may get WL'd at HYSCC, which is why I suggested applying to UVA/Northwestern/UofT/McGill/UBC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gstate

New

Post by Gstate » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 pm

To clarify, now that its clear the softs don't matter then I'd want to clarify that I added UCLA as a safety. I'm more skewed towards the West Coast, and so Berkley and Stanford are top of my list. If Stanford is seen as a reach, how does this audience consider Berkley for my profile?

Thanks for everyone's input
Last edited by Gstate on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:37 pm

Gstate wrote:To clarify, now that its clear the softs don't matter then I'd add that I added UCLA as a safety. I'm more skewed towards the West Coast, and so Berkley and Stanford are top of my list. If Stanford is seen as a reach, how does this audience consider Berkley for my profile?

I wouldn't go to law school if I had to be on the west coast and UCLA were my only option.

I have no idea how Cal treats URMs so you might be SoL. You are by no means out of the running at Stanford.

I seriously doubt you will be waitlisted at CCN.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:58 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Gstate wrote:To clarify, now that its clear the softs don't matter then I'd add that I added UCLA as a safety. I'm more skewed towards the West Coast, and so Berkley and Stanford are top of my list. If Stanford is seen as a reach, how does this audience consider Berkley for my profile?

I wouldn't go to law school if I had to be on the west coast and UCLA were my only option.

I have no idea how Cal treats URMs so you might be SoL. You are by no means out of the running at Stanford.

I seriously doubt you will be waitlisted at CCN.
I was speaking from experience (a friend/URM with the same numbers), but I acknowledge he may have been an exception. It's always difficult to predict with splitter URMs, I think.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:04 pm

Gstate wrote:Hey guys,

First time I've been on the forum, wanted to
Get some feedback on top schools, specifically Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, Yale.

-Princeton class of 2015
-GPA:3.35 (grade deflation is the worst)
-LSAT: 173
-African-Canadian

I've spent my summers from 2011-2015 interning in investment banking in New York and Toronto at JPMorgan. After grad, I worked full time
At JPM in London, England for a year.

Im about to start a year long position with a Member Parliament in Canada (the equivalent of a hybrid between a congressman and senator in US terms) doing constituency work specifically with regards to rural poverty.

Appreciate any feedback
Youre me with better softs. African Canadian k-jd with a U Toronto undergrad 3.29 and a 173.

I was out at Harvard Yale Stanford Berkeley
WL at UVA and Chicago
In at Columbia NYU Penn (110k) Michigan(Full tuition+10k/yr Darrow scholarship) Duke Cornell Northwestern Georgetown Toronto Western

I'd think youd get in everywhere I did at least. Your Princeton undergrad plus work experience should help you at Harvard as well. But the extent to which they take into account grade deflation is debatable. I think people are being a little too optimistic about your chances at HYS and Berkeley. Someone said a coin flip, that's ridiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:36 pm

dabigchina wrote:I've personally never understood why people from super elite undergrads want to go to law school but to each their own.
to become lawyers? you can't practice law without a JD. How is this confusing?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:44 pm

does African-Canadian receive an equivalent boost to AA? If so, I think you have a strong shot at Harvard, Columbia, and Berkeley from the schools you listed, easy admission to UCLA, and a chance but not a strong one at Yale and Stanford.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:50 pm

jbagelboy wrote:does African-Canadian receive an equivalent boost to AA? If so, I think you have a strong shot at Harvard, Columbia, and Berkeley from the schools you listed, easy admission to UCLA, and a chance but not a strong one at Yale and Stanford.
It does but like i said. I think Harvard and Berkeley like reverse splitters a lot more than regular splitter URM's. I was dinged at both despite an otherwise strong cycle. Columbia should be an easy admit.,

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
dabigchina wrote:I've personally never understood why people from super elite undergrads want to go to law school but to each their own.
He was asking why anybody would want to become a lawyer after graduating from an elite school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:13 pm

HYPSM wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
He was asking why anybody would want to become a lawyer after graduating from an elite school.
that seems like a really naive question with a tautological answer--why would anyone want to enter any profession? because they want to? how does where you got your B.A. matter? I just really don't understand. There's no opportunity cost question here because the barrier to entry to practice law isn't where you got your bachelors, its whether you have a J.D.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:27 pm

The first thing you need to do is decide in which country you want to practice, and then, attend law school in that country. If you want to be a lawyer in Canada, go to a law school there, even if it is a less prestigious school. The multi-year accreditation requirements apply to all foreign-trained lawyers, even Harvard graduates. And you will still then have to compete with students who actually studied Canadian law.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
that seems like a really naive question with a tautological answer--why would anyone want to enter any profession? because they want to? how does where you got your B.A. matter? I just really don't understand. There's no opportunity cost question here because the barrier to entry to practice law isn't where you got your bachelors, its whether you have a J.D.
I think HYPSM's point was that a Princeton grad theoretically has access to a broad range of career paths, and being a lawyer kind of sucks. It's kind of like intentionally ordering the worst thing on the menu.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
HYPSM wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Law school is probably most valuable as a method of signaling your intelligence/work ethic after an unimpressive undergrad.

It's not completely valueless if your undergrad is impressive, but it will make much less of a difference in your ability to get decent employment, find jobs, etc. than it would for someone from Shitty State U with a 3.4.

And frankly, practicing law is shitty for a huge number of people, so if someone already has the "I'm smart" credential and is on a great career path, it's always weird to see them decide to give that up for a profession that makes people miserable

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”