Yale Legacy Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
iamapipersson

New

Yale Legacy

Post by iamapipersson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:57 pm

Please, not flame.

3.63 and 170. Two of my uncles went to YLS.

I know my chances for other schools, and am considering a retake. What are my chances at YLS because of legacy and my stats? Am considering application next cycle if any chance at YLS.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Yale Legacy

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:22 am

Unless one of your uncles has a wing named after them, I don't think being a legacy is going to make any difference.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:18 am

Serious question - are either of your uncles bigwigs? I.e., someone important in law, politics, entertainment, business, journalism, etc.? If so, have them make calls, that may help. If not, I seriously doubt that their having attended YLS will help you get in.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:19 am

I think I hate you for asking this question.

iamapipersson

New

Post by iamapipersson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:Serious question - are either of your uncles bigwigs? I.e., someone important in law, politics, entertainment, business, journalism, etc.? If so, have them make calls, that may help. If not, I seriously doubt that their having attended YLS will help you get in.
Why does YLS ask whether a closs relative attended on the app?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:22 am

iamapipersson wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:Serious question - are either of your uncles bigwigs? I.e., someone important in law, politics, entertainment, business, journalism, etc.? If so, have them make calls, that may help. If not, I seriously doubt that their having attended YLS will help you get in.
All (most) schools ask that. And it could be used to get a sense of your dedication to attend the achool if admitted, not necessarily to admit those with lower numbers.

rav17

New

Post by rav17 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:53 am

iamapipersson wrote:

Justice Alito's son didn't get YLS and ended up at Duke. Justice Scalia's son didn't get HLS and went to Uchicago, the list goes on and on. Having a relative that attended a top law school means dick if your stats aren't competitive.

iamapipersson

New

Post by iamapipersson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:39 pm

rav17 wrote:
iamapipersson wrote:

Justice Alito's son didn't get YLS and ended up at Duke. Justice Scalia's son didn't get HLS and went to Uchicago, the list goes on and on. Having a relative that attended a top law school means dick if your stats aren't competitive.
*Relatives. What were their LSAT scores and GPAs?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:58 pm

rav17 wrote:
iamapipersson wrote:

What is Scalia's sons name? He he get a clerkship at the Supreme Court?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Could be wrong, but pretty sure legacy only helps if you have the numbers, if it helps at all. Your GPA (and LSAT, but mostly GPA) is probably too low for YLS unless you have some incredible soft that we don't know about.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Both parents of a friend of mine were YLS alumni, and that friend's numbers were comfortably above both of YLS' 75ths. Friend was waitlisted. If your uncles are big donors, maybe it could help you slightly, but otherwise it'll barely impact your chances.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:08 pm

iamapipersson wrote:
rav17 wrote:
iamapipersson wrote:

*Relatives.
:lol: :lol: yes we almost forgot that two random alums combine to greater than one scotus justice.

drillteam

New

Post by drillteam » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:40 pm

I am a graduate of Yale undergrad but of a t6 law school that is not Yale. I have a colleague who graduated from Yale Law who worked with the admissions office on a research project. This is what she told me: applicants are graded on a 12 scale (applications are reviewed by 3 faculty members who each can give a maximum score of 4). If you get a 12, you get in; if you get an 11, you are likely to get in. If you get a 10, you MAY get in. An applicant whose parent or parents graduated from Yale Law gets an automatic "1" added to his or her score on the 12 scale. So if you are a strong applicant, to be a legacy can provide a critical 'tip'. I don't know about uncles--I somehow doubt if that will make a difference but I speculate here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:43 pm

lol. Yale literally has an article on their website that says it doesn't matter if you personally know the president of the United States. I doubt having a couple uncles that went there matters

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:50 pm

drillteam wrote:I am a graduate of Yale undergrad but of a t6 law school that is not Yale. I have a colleague who graduated from Yale Law who worked with the admissions office on a research project. This is what she told me: applicants are graded on a 12 scale (applications are reviewed by 3 faculty members who each can give a maximum score of 4). If you get a 12, you get in; if you get an 11, you are likely to get in. If you get a 10, you MAY get in. An applicant whose parent or parents graduated from Yale Law gets an automatic "1" added to his or her score on the 12 scale. So if you are a strong applicant, to be a legacy can provide a critical 'tip'. I don't know about uncles--I somehow doubt if that will make a difference but I speculate here.
Lol, and of course publicly Yale says that legacies don't matter. This is what I mean when I say (on this forum) that law schools actively mislead prospective students on everything from admissions, scholarships, to employment.

drillteam

New

Post by drillteam » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 pm

drillteam wrote:I am a graduate of Yale undergrad but of a t6 law school that is not Yale. I have a colleague who graduated from Yale Law who worked with the admissions office on a research project. This is what she told me: applicants are graded on a 12 scale (applications are reviewed by 3 faculty members who each can give a maximum score of 4). If you get a 12, you get in; if you get an 11, you are likely to get in. If you get a 10, you MAY get in. An applicant whose parent or parents graduated from Yale Law gets an automatic "1" added to his or her score on the 12 scale. So if you are a strong applicant, to be a legacy can provide a critical 'tip'. I don't know about uncles--I somehow doubt if that will make a difference but I speculate here.

Just to add to information. The Admissions office makes the decision on a certain number (I don't know what the number is) of applications on its own and does not turn them over to the faculty. For the applications to be reviewed by the faculty, applications are screened by the Admissions office first (on the basis of some criteria which I presume includes the GPA/LSAT) before they are randomly assigned to the professors for review. Some professors do not want to know the LSAT/GPA of the applicant (they assume the Admissions office has already looked at that aspect of the application) when they are rating him or her on a 1 to 4 scale. So this process makes Yale Law somewhat unpredictable in that you cannot simply look at someone's score and say, for example, he is above the 75th%ile and is sure to get in. The 'softs' matter at Yale AFTER you have achieved the GPA/LSAT threshold.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Wait, are these your mom's brothers or your dad's? This is a hugely important factor.

iamapipersson

New

Post by iamapipersson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:38 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Wait, are these your mom's brothers or your dad's? This is a hugely important factor.
Father's.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:17 am

iamapipersson wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Wait, are these your mom's brothers or your dad's? This is a hugely important factor.
Father's.
...I was joking. I know nothing about Yale admissions but I'm sure it doesn't matter. My sense is this kind of thing might make a difference if you were right on the bubble, but even then I highly doubt it. FWIW, your numbers seem prohibitively low for Yale but I'm sure you'll have other good options.

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:37 am

acr wrote:lol. Yale literally has an article on their website that says it doesn't matter if you personally know the president of the United States. I doubt having a couple uncles that went there matters
Three words: George Walker Bush.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:01 pm

seashell.economy wrote:
acr wrote:lol. Yale literally has an article on their website that says it doesn't matter if you personally know the president of the United States. I doubt having a couple uncles that went there matters
Didn't go to law school there?

iamapipersson

New

Post by iamapipersson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:17 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
iamapipersson wrote:
Father's.
...I was joking. I know nothing about Yale admissions but I'm sure it doesn't matter. My sense is this kind of thing might make a difference if you were right on the bubble, but even then I highly doubt it. FWIW, your numbers seem prohibitively low for Yale but I'm sure you'll have other good options.
I assumed you were asking if my last name was similar.

By the way, I'm retaking in June.

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
seashell.economy wrote:
Didn't go to law school there?
It's Yale, c'mon. You think Yale, as a whole, law school or otherwise, is a bastion of meritocracy?

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:09 pm

I'm a YLS student.

The above is the credited response.

Also, want to add that in university admissions, "legacy" benefits are generally only understood to attach if your mother or father attended the specific school to which you are applying. "Legacy" in the admissions context is a narrower concept than that of having any kind of family relationship to the university.

Example 1: if your mother attended Yale College, you would get legacy at Yale College. You would not get legacy at Yale Law School.

Example 2: If your mother attended Yale Law School, you would have legacy at Yale Law School. You would not have legacy at Yale College.

Example 3: Your uncle/sister/grandparent attended any school at Yale University. You would receive no legacy benefits at any school within Yale University.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”