Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:54 am

Do I have any shot? :shock:

I have a 3.96 from UCLA and a 162

I feel like mylsn.com is giving me false hope and I don't know how to interpret it. :roll:

I'm above the 75 percentile for gpa, which is 3.94
I'm below the 25 percentile for lsat, which Is 164

I'm not an official URM, but I am gay and I know univ penn is pretty gay friendly, but I don't know if they're 162 ED friendly :?

I would be so excited for univ penn law :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bbbrian on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
xael

Platinum
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP

Postby xael » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:59 am

how many times have you taken the LSAT?

however many, the answer is that you need to retake.

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 am

xael wrote:how many times have you taken the LSAT?

however many, the answer is that you need to retake.


Ive taken it once.

I know, but the problem is their ED deadline is Jan 15 and even if I take it in FEB and get a 164/165 with regular decision, I think I'm even more screwed. And truthfully, if I got a 164 I'd probably have a better chance at Berkeley.

User avatar
GreekOmega12

Bronze
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby GreekOmega12 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:14 am

Your GPA is too good to waste. You need to retake, maybe even sit out a cycle. I would kill for your GPA.

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Mullens » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:16 am

retake the LSAT and go to a T14 with a full ride instead of at sticker if you're lucky.

User avatar
chickensoup1234

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby chickensoup1234 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:18 am

Tell me about it - retake OP!

I wish I had known I was going to apply to law school when I was in UG

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:19 am

GreekOmega12 wrote:Your GPA is too good to waste. You need to retake, maybe even sit out a cycle. I would kill for your GPA.



Haha thanks. Does that mean I have no shot at Penn ED this year? Or does it mean I would be a fool to get into Penn and pay sticker?

User avatar
xael

Platinum
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby xael » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:21 am

Bbbrian wrote:
GreekOmega12 wrote:Your GPA is too good to waste. You need to retake, maybe even sit out a cycle. I would kill for your GPA.



Haha thanks. Does that mean I have no shot at Penn ED this year? Or does it mean I would be a fool to get into Penn and pay sticker?


it means you should be shot if you get into Penn ED and pay sticker.

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:23 am

Mullens wrote:retake the LSAT and go to a T14 with a full ride instead of at sticker if you're lucky.


I'm for sure retaking in FEB, but I'm not confident about the LSAT. Is there a school in the T14 that I have a good shot at in reg decision with my stats this year? Mylsn says 50% shot at Virginia, but I'm such a splitter that I have no idea anymore

User avatar
xael

Platinum
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby xael » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:23 am

Bbbrian wrote:
Mullens wrote:retake the LSAT and go to a T14 with a full ride instead of at sticker if you're lucky.


I'm for sure retaking in FEB, but I'm not confident about the LSAT. Is there a school in the T14 that I have a good shot at in reg decision with my stats this year? Mylsn says 50% shot at Virginia, but I'm such a splitter that I have no idea anymore


there is no school you should be attending this year.

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:25 am

chickensoup1234 wrote:Tell me about it - retake OP!

I wish I had known I was going to apply to law school when I was in UG



Damn I was worried I would get this reaction lol

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 am

xael wrote:
Bbbrian wrote:
GreekOmega12 wrote:Your GPA is too good to waste. You need to retake, maybe even sit out a cycle. I would kill for your GPA.



Haha thanks. Does that mean I have no shot at Penn ED this year? Or does it mean I would be a fool to get into Penn and pay sticker?


it means you should be shot if you get into Penn ED and pay sticker.


Haha why is that? If I graduated penn and went into big law id be living the good life...10 years after I graduate.

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:30 am

xael wrote:
Bbbrian wrote:
Mullens wrote:retake the LSAT and go to a T14 with a full ride instead of at sticker if you're lucky.


I'm for sure retaking in FEB, but I'm not confident about the LSAT. Is there a school in the T14 that I have a good shot at in reg decision with my stats this year? Mylsn says 50% shot at Virginia, but I'm such a splitter that I have no idea anymore


there is no school you should be attending this year.


Ok that's pretty dramatic. I'm applying no matter what, and I do have money set aside for law school so scholarships aside, can I even get in??

User avatar
chickensoup1234

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby chickensoup1234 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:31 am

Bbbrian wrote:
chickensoup1234 wrote:Tell me about it - retake OP!

I wish I had known I was going to apply to law school when I was in UG



Damn I was worried I would get this reaction lol


Ugh sorry I hate being that guy.... I just think if it requires sitting out a year and doing something else for a 150K swing (probably more with interest accumulating on the loan) then it is worth it

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:33 am

chickensoup1234 wrote:
Bbbrian wrote:
chickensoup1234 wrote:Tell me about it - retake OP!

I wish I had known I was going to apply to law school when I was in UG



Damn I was worried I would get this reaction lol


Ugh sorry I hate being that guy.... I just think if it requires sitting out a year and doing something else for a 150K swing (probably more with interest accumulating on the loan) then it is worth it


I totally respect your opinion. I guess my question is more about whether I can even get into u penn and less about financial aid.

User avatar
chickensoup1234

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby chickensoup1234 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 am

Ah - sorry - then if you are asking if there's a chance i'd answer with a resounding yes :D

This guy did it: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/pbergy (and it seems like your 'softs' may trump his)
Last edited by chickensoup1234 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xael

Platinum
Posts: 7548
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby xael » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:44 am

I know that person personally. He took the LSAT multiple times. Your softs do not trump his.

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:48 am

xael wrote:I know that person personally. He took the LSAT multiple times. Your softs do not trump him in the slightest.


I wonder if some self-interested people try to persuade others to sit out a cycle in order to boost their own chances at the same school? Do you think some people do that?

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:49 am

chickensoup1234 wrote:Ah - sorry - then if you are asking if there's a chance i'd answer with a resounding yes :D

This guy did it: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/pbergy (and it seems like your 'softs' may trump his)


Thank you for telling me exactly what I wanted to hear lol And I really hope your right :)

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Clearly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 am

Image

User avatar
salander

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby salander » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:19 am

xael wrote:
Bbbrian wrote:
GreekOmega12 wrote:Your GPA is too good to waste. You need to retake, maybe even sit out a cycle. I would kill for your GPA.



Haha thanks. Does that mean I have no shot at Penn ED this year? Or does it mean I would be a fool to get into Penn and pay sticker?


it means you should be shot if you get into Penn ED and pay sticker.

:lol:

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Clearly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:21 am

Do not quote:
Removed
Last edited by Clearly on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:47 am

haha damn this is getting hardcore. Taking a year off is a pretty intense decision though. I get that in the long run it would be a better idea, but LSAT takers increased this year which means this cycle is going to be more competitive than last year, which means next years cycle is going to demand higher numbers than this year if the number of people applying continues to increase. I'm not sure the difference in waiting a year for a shot at maybe improving a couple points and then applying in a more competitive cycle only to possibly get the same result is the best decision either. I guess it just comes down to how confident I am about drastically improving my score...and I'm not really that confident

Bbbrian

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Bbbrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:55 am

Yeah I hear you but I've been studying pretty hardcore since the summer, went through every exam, and my highest pt score was a 167 and that was one time. It sounds like people are advocating I apply next year even if I kill it in February which is suprising to me because with the recent dip in applicants people are getting off the waitlist as late as the summer with scholarships. Why would I need to wait out an entire cycle so I can apply with slightly better numbers in a more competitor cycle next year? And a 170 is like the top 2%-- that's pretty ambitious move from a 162. I wish I was more confident about it and I really appreciate your advice

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Univ Penn ED 162 3.96 Please HELP (reverse splitter)

Postby Clearly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:03 am

Changes in number of takers have not materially changed admissions standards for as long as I've been following admissions. Plus forget scholarships if you ED, plus Penn isn't likely to give scholarships to anyone off the waitlist unless it was a yield protect, so that's not relevant to you. You really should find a tutor and retake for real. The payoff is well worth it. I'm confident that if you really tried you could improve significantly, I know because I've done it and I'm not particularly brilliant. Also I like how sitting out a year is a pretty intense decision, but signing a contract to give away hundreds of thousands instead of getting good at a multiple choice test isn't lol. Trust me man you can do it and it's really the right play here.



Return to “What are my chances??

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests