Political involvement as a "Splitter" Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Broncos15

Bronze

Re: Political involvement as a "Splitter"

Post by Broncos15 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:05 am

pleadthafif wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
pleadthafif wrote:I don't think a top law school would be so petty as to discriminate based on your political affiliation, but if they did you probably wouldn't want to go there anyways.
I'm sure there is no official entrenched policy. But the biases of the admissions officer is definitely at play. A lot of people would find someone crusading for Planned Parenthood to be a good soft. And yet, wouldn't consider crusading for a pro life group to be a good soft.

For most applicants, it wouldn't matter. But if you have to rely on your packet standing out, doing something the admissions officer fundamentally disrespects is probably the end of your chances.
No doubt biases are prevalent today, that's just part of it whether it's admissions, hiring, or whatever. I'm just saying in this given hypothetical with exact candidates numbers-wise, it's a lose-lose either way. If the difference in an admit or a reject is a soft like your student orgs (that you're not an officer in), you're probably looking at sticker which isn't an enviable position IMO.
On that note, even if admitted, would I likely be looking at sticker price if admitted? Does law admissions generally work like this : if a school favors high GPA in admissions ----> then they also favor high GPA in scholarships ( ex. would a Columbia or NYU be willing to give me any more money since they favor high LSATs compared to a Berk or Chicago)

myLSN gives me decent admissions stats if I crush my LSAT retake but not so great scholarship ( coming from Texas, the warm weather at Berkeley is an appealing factor as well, but not the only one of course)

pleadthafif

Gold

Post removed...

Post by pleadthafif » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 am

Post removed...
Last edited by pleadthafif on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: Political involvement as a "Splitter"

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:21 am

Broncos15 wrote:On that note, even if admitted, would I likely be looking at sticker price if admitted? Does law admissions generally work like this : if a school favors high GPA in admissions ----> then they also favor high GPA in scholarships ( ex. would a Columbia or NYU be willing to give me any more money since they favor high LSATs compared to a Berk or Chicago)
Scholarship $ is hard to predict. It seems like NYU and CLS are pretty stingy with money in general, but a higher lsat always helps of course.

Just crush that retake, apply broadly, and see what happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”