UG 3.0 LSAT 170 STEM PHD rank my list Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
biomed123

New

UG 3.0 LSAT 170 STEM PHD rank my list

Post by biomed123 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:37 am

Hey all so I posted a topic last week which I can delete if the mods want. I have a 3.0 UG gpa and am graduating with a phD in biomedical sciences this spring. I recently took the LSAT and received a 170 with plans to retake in december. Based on the responses in that thread and my own research I have created an initial list of schools I plan on applying to. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this list or suggestions to add. Scholarship money would be amazing, and I am looking to pursue patent law I looked up the US news rankings of patent law schools but the list correlates pretty well with the overall rankings and I don't see myself having much a shot at anything t14. So anyways here is the list any thoughts would be very helpful.

UF, FSU (local state schools), OSU, Michigan (my biggest reach), Emory, WUST, George Washington, BC and/or Boston U.

This list comes from the law school calculator as well as personal preference for both areas to live in or schools to attend. Like I said earlier anybody's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: UG 3.0 LSAT 170 STEM PHD rank my list

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:14 am

I would think it's worth it to at least give it a shot at a few more T14's. Maybe Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown, Virginia. Your LSAT is above the median for all those schools (and, I don't have the figures in front of me, but I think you're at or above the 75% for all of them as well). Yeah, your GPA is low, but your high LSAT will give you a decent shot, and your advanced degree and distance from undergrad should help to mitigate the low GPA.

The general wisdom is that those specialty rankings (best IP program, best public service program, etc) are unhelpful. Just go to the best school you can, factoring in financial concerns.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:46 am

Consider ED to GWU if those accepted ED still receive scholarship.

biomed123

New

Post by biomed123 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Thank you I appreciate the reply. Is there a list somewhere on the site of schools that are known for being generous with scholarships? I'm not sure how much my GPA would disqualify me but any little bit would obviously help.

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:18 am

With that GPA you're going to have a lower shot at the T-14 (certainly worth the couple hundred bucks to send apps in, but don't bank on anything.)

Some food for thought:
Where do you want to practice long term, and do you want to do IP there? If it's DC/Boston, you could get a job as a subject matter expert in a firm in either of those cities, work there for a few years, and then have the firm pay for law school part time while you keep working. The downside to this is it takes longer and your choice of law school is constrained. You also won't have a ton of mobility since the firm will be able to demand you not leave for a certain number of years in exchange for picking up the law school tab. After 10 years though, you come out approximately the same financially as going to law school (less years as a lawyer, but no debt to pay off).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”