2.8/170 ED to Northwestern/Georgetown? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
scout1775

New

2.8/170 ED to Northwestern/Georgetown?

Post by scout1775 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi all,

I got a 170 on the October LSAT but have bad grades (2.8 from a NESCAC English Major). I have worked for 2 years as a paralegal at a top 3 law firm in NYC. My priority is to go to the best ranked school that I can get into regardless of location (I fortunately do not need money). It seems like Northwestern and Georgetown are the most splitter friendly and the Georgetown lets in more splitters in ED. Does it make sense for me to apply now given my current numbers? And which school is more likely??

Or should I see if I can get a few points higher on my LSAT in December but risk doing the same or worse on the LSAT and then I would be applying a few months later in the cycle? Are there any other splitter friendly schools that I am overlooking or are these two my best bet?

I am also considering applying to the part time program at Georgetown as it is supposedly easier to get into--thoughts?

Northwestern's deadline is fast approaching...

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: 2.8/170 ED to Northwestern/Georgetown?

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Double posting is generally frowned upon.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Ugh. Whatever you do, do not ED Georgetown unless you have a rich benefactor willing to part with $300,000.

If you ED Georgetown and are accepted, you will not receive any scholarship money. Zero. Georgetown's employment prospects do not justify sticker price of attendance, and it is in one of the highest COL cities in the United States.

I'm not sure how competitive you would be for NU's ED. Generally NU ED is a better decision because ED acceptance comes with a $150,000 scholarship, which is actually a pretty sweet deal. You have to have higher numbers though and I'm not sure if you would be competitive with that GPA, although NU is splitter friendly

tl;dr don't ED Georgetown, why not ED NU for the hell of it

edited: since money isn't an issue (one of the truly few cases I've seen on these forums), Georgetown ED isn't a horrible decision
Last edited by acr on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scout1775

New

Post by scout1775 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:30 pm

lymenheimer wrote:Double posting is generally frowned upon.
Sorry, I am new to this.

scout1775

New

Post by scout1775 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 pm

acr wrote:Ugh. Whatever you do, do not ED Georgetown unless you have a rich benefactor willing to part with $300,000.

If you ED Georgetown and are accepted, you will not receive any scholarship money. Zero. Georgetown's employment prospects do not justify sticker price of attendance, and it is in one of the highest COL cities in the United States.

So yeah, never ED Georgetown

I'm not sure how competitive you would be for NU's ED. Generally NU ED is a better decision because ED acceptance comes with a $150,000 scholarship, which is actually a pretty sweet deal. You have to have higher numbers though and I'm not sure if you would be competitive with that GPA, although NU is splitter friendly

I do have a benefactor (relative) that has offered to pay...I feel guilty even saying that on here considering some people have worked so hard and don't have the same luxury.

Money aside, do you think my chances are better at NU or Georgetown?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:36 pm

scout1775 wrote:
acr wrote:Ugh. Whatever you do, do not ED Georgetown unless you have a rich benefactor willing to part with $300,000.

So yeah, never ED Georgetown

I do have a benefactor (relative) that has offered to pay...I feel guilty even saying that on here considering some people have worked so hard and don't have the same luxury.

Money aside, do you think my chances are better at NU or Georgetown?
Since NU ED comes with a 150k scholarship, it is actually quite competitive, and I'd put your chances at close to 0. Georgetown on the other hand may bite since they'll continue to struggle to keep up their lsat median and you will pay sticker, so have at it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”