Chances at specific T-14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jfernandes16

Bronze

Chances at specific T-14?

Post by jfernandes16 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I know I already posted a similar topic earlier (if I should delete it, please let me know), but I am having difficulty interpreting the admissions graphs. It seems as if the only people who have similar numbers to me have been out of undergrad and doing teach for America or have some supreme caliber softs that really set them apart.

Harvard/Columbia would be my dream, but I'm sure that I'm out of range- my GPA and LSAT are simply too low.

GPA/LSAT
3.47/170

Mexican American, URM
1st gen, illiterate immigrant father
Addendum regarding grades (mother lost use of her legs through neurological condition, obvious to me that she is 1st priority)
low income, poor neighborhood, gang violence

I plan on sending in my apps on November 1st if possible.

Is there any way that someone can give me/teach me how to make an educated conjecture about which t-14 schools I have a decent chance of getting into? I have fee waivers to some. You guys are so knowledgeable, I would love to have a better idea of where I may strongly consider.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Chances at specific T-14?

Post by Mullens » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:49 pm

You should ask all the other T14s for fee waivers. You will likely get fee waivers from most of them; do not let that determine where you apply.

jfernandes16

Bronze

Post by jfernandes16 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Mullens wrote:You should ask all the other T14s for fee waivers. You will likely get fee waivers from most of them; do not let that determine where you apply.
Will do. But it still costs $30 per application, which is alot of money to me. I will find a way.

Do you recommend I apply to all t-14?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:58 pm

jfernandes16 wrote:
Mullens wrote:You should ask all the other T14s for fee waivers. You will likely get fee waivers from most of them; do not let that determine where you apply.
Will do. But it still costs $30 per application, which is alot of money to me. I will find a way.

Do you recommend I apply to all t-14?
Yes. Apply to all. Even if you have no intention to go to one (let's say Georgetown for example) they still might accept you and offer you significant scholarship money that can be used to negotiate with the schools you ARE interested in. This will make the $30 well worth it.

jfernandes16

Bronze

Post by jfernandes16 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:03 pm

OK, great advice. I will apply to the t-14 in entirety.

As for chances, what do you guys think based on my numbers? I feel like I have a strong PS and DS that really brings a unique perspective to the table. It was tough to write because it was so raw to me, actually.

Ps at risk of coming off as sycophantic I just want to reiterate that I am grateful for your responses. I seriously have very limited guidance here and have been doing my apps and statements and addendum without any guidance (aside from google)

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:07 pm

jfernandes16 wrote:OK, great advice. I will apply to the t-14 in entirety.

As for chances, what do you guys think based on my numbers? I feel like I have a strong PS and DS that really brings a unique perspective to the table. It was tough to write because it was so raw to me, actually.

Ps at risk of coming off as sycophantic I just want to reiterate that I am grateful for your responses. I seriously have very limited guidance here and have been doing my apps and statements and addendum without any guidance (aside from google)
check out mylsn.info and play around with the admissions graphs. make sure to select "URM" in the options. I only looked at it briefly but it looks like you have a decent shot at Columbia, which probably means you have a good chance at anything below as well. I would definitely look at it though. it'll give you a decent idea of possible scholarships as well

http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/graph/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”