How high can I realistically reach? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
180orRetake

New

How high can I realistically reach?

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 am

- 3.2 LSAC GPA
- 166 LSAT

Assuming retaking is not an option, what kind of schools do I have a realistic shot at? Would BC/BU/UNC/ND consider me? Would Georgetown be a COMPLETE waste of an application? How far down the list would I need to look in order to be considered for a substantial scholarship? Generally speaking, I am interested in pursuing some facet of business law.
Last edited by 180orRetake on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

smaug

Diamond

Re: How high can I realistically reach?

Post by smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 am

Your username is kind of ironic.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:16 am

You are looking at regional schools, if you want to be a lawyer go to a regional school in a region you have ties to. Don't just apply to UNC/BC/ND because of their arbitrary USNEWS ranking.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:17 am

smaug wrote:Your username is kind of ironic.

intentionally

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:18 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:You are looking at regional schools, if you want to be a lawyer go to a regional school in a region you have ties to. Don't just apply to UNC/BC/ND because of their arbitrary USNEWS ranking.

understood. ND is the only school mentioned that I do not have regional ties to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 am

Rather than "retake" can I interest you in some "don't go to law school?"

It's the hot new item with all of the kids.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 am

smaug wrote:Rather than "retake" can I interest you in some "don't go to law school?"

because there's no hope for a prospective JD candidate with a 3.2 and a 166 LSAT, right?
Last edited by 180orRetake on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:43 am

180orRetake wrote:
smaug wrote:Rather than "retake" can I interest you in some "don't go to law school?"

because there's no hope for a prospective JD candidate with a 3.2 and a 165 LSAT, right?
Because your goals are vague and I don't think you have an understanding of what you'd get if you achieved al of your professional dreams right now.

But also because someone who sits at a 3.2/165 and is unwilling to fix it will get eaten alive in a field as competitive as law.

You have a job. What's wrong with it?

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:56 am

How tall are you? Are their cookies on top of the fridge? Big factors in determining how high you can reach?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:04 am

You can check out mylsn.info for a purely objective measurement (mostly all that matters for regional schools) of whether you have a shot.

Whether these schools will help you achieve "some facet of business law" would require a more specific definition.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:05 am

smaug wrote:
180orRetake wrote:

because there's no hope for a prospective JD candidate with a 3.2 and a 165 LSAT, right?
Because your goals are vague and I don't think you have an understanding of what you'd get if you achieved al of your professional dreams right now.

But also because someone who sits at a 3.2/165 and is unwilling to fix it will get eaten alive in a field as competitive as law.

You have a job. What's wrong with it?

my goals are vague? lmao. no - they are actually clearly defined. they were vaguely communicated here as that is all that should be necessary in a "what are my chances thread".

and to your point about me "not having an understanding of what i'd get if i achieved my professional dreams" - I literally have no fucking clue what you're even trying to say here.

i'm looking to go to one of the schools i mentioned, if you do not have any useful input, find a different thread to live your useless life through.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am

Aquila wrote:How tall are you? Are their cookies on top of the fridge? Big factors in determining how high you can reach?

6'3

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:08 am

180orRetake wrote:
Aquila wrote:How tall are you? Are their cookies on top of the fridge? Big factors in determining how high you can reach?

6'3
you can probably reach 8.5-9' feet then

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:09 am

No need to get defensive.

What exactly do you mean by "some facet of business law"—do you mean you're indifferent? Do you want to do corporate transactional work? Commercial litigation? What? That's vague.

What would happen if you got into one of those schools and go the job you wanted—what is that job and who has it? Is it biglaw/regional midlaw? Have you spoken to attorneys who do what you want to do? Are they actually happy? What is their day to day life like?

Clearly, what I'm saying is that even if you're very lucky and get biglaw out of one of those schools, it isn't much of a prize, especially if you don't know what you want/what you're getting into.

My useful input is that you should thoughtfully consider not going to law school.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:14 am

smaug wrote:No need to get defensive.

What exactly do you mean by "some facet of business law"—do you mean you're indifferent? Do you want to do corporate transactional work? Commercial litigation? What? That's vague.

What would happen if you got into one of those schools and go the job you wanted—what is that job and who has it? Is it biglaw/regional midlaw? Have you spoken to attorneys who do what you want to do? Are they actually happy? What is their day to day life like?

Clearly, what I'm saying is that even if you're very lucky and get biglaw out of one of those schools, it isn't much of a prize, especially if you don't know what you want/what you're getting into.

My useful input is that you should thoughtfully consider not going to law school.

Did you not read what I just said? I used the generic phrase "some facet of business law" not because I lack specific detail, but because it is beyond the scope of this thread. I am not asking any of you for career advice. I am simply asking what are my chances at admission to X schools. And again, your input is completely useless, as you have insufficient information to make such a broad judgement. If I gave a flying fuck about what some random person on the internet thought about my career path, I would provide him/her with adequate information to render such an assessment. I intentionally did not do this, as all I was looking for was some anecdotal insight into admission chances.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:15 am

You seem kind of upset.

Lawyers should be more chill about this stuff.

I suggest that you do not go to law school.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:16 am

Aquila wrote:
180orRetake wrote:

6'3

what is it like being 5'6?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:17 am

smaug wrote:You seem kind of upset.

and i suggest that you get off internet forums for a while. lawyers should spend less time engaging in meaningless discussions with strangers.

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:18 am

180orRetake wrote:
Aquila wrote:
180orRetake wrote:

6'3

Ooooh you sly fox 8) ... its great tho btw

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:19 am

180orRetake wrote:

and i suggest that you get off internet forums for a while. lawyers should spend less time engaging in meaningless discussions with strangers.
Do you consider your future meaningless, brother?

Well Hung Jury

Gold

Post by Well Hung Jury » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:21 am

Retaking is always an option unless you have taken 3 attempts, and even then you can wait a few years and try again. For someone in your position, you may consider some TTT schools if you want some $ thrown at you without a higher LSAT. I would advise you to not attend with the mentality you have about it. Wait until you more clearly know what you want and what it takes to get there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 am

180orRetake wrote:
Did you not read what I just said? I used the generic phrase "some facet of business law" not because I lack specific detail, but because it is beyond the scope of this thread. I am not asking any of you for career advice. I am simply asking what are my chances at admission to X schools. And again, your input is completely useless, as you have insufficient information to make such a broad judgement. If I gave a flying fuck about what some random person on the internet thought about my career path, I would provide him/her with adequate information to render such an assessment. I intentionally did not do this, as all I was looking for was some anecdotal insight into admission chances.
Dude I already answered your question by giving you a resource, stop instigating arguments. Look at the resource, get your answer on your chances, and go about your day. No need for the hostility.

180orRetake

New

Post by 180orRetake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 am

smaug wrote:
180orRetake wrote:

Do you consider your future meaningless, brother?

No... what i consider useless are discussions pertaining to my future with avatars that I have intentionally disclosed virtually NO information to.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:24 am

I will never get these threads:

OP - "what's the highest school that will grace me with the privilege of paying sticker? What about off the waitlist?"

TLS - "Easy there, tiger. Is there anything you can do to reduce your costs and boost your employment chances? Retake the LSAT, perhaps? Target an area in which you have lived previously or have ties to? We'd advise you not to be hasty and unnecessarily up the ante on this law school idea to $250k, just on the hunch that you love the law AND that you'll also obvi be awesome at law school exams."

OP - "F@#k you, man. My statz are none of your business, don't be an elitist pig. I'm killing time and need to go to law school NOW. I know I'll be successful if I just get in to the best school I have in mind this second."

TLS - "Again, you may end up being wildly successful (who knows?)...but what's up with your craving for needless, uncompensated risk? You won't be able to enjoy success even if you beat the odds if you are a debt slave. And there's a lot of jobless grads out there with debt too, even worse."

OP - "You all just need more self-belief. Every lawyer I know (from a different decade of hiring model/law school tuition, of course, and ignoring survivorship bias, of course) is happy with their choice, even if they went to just an OK school. CAN ANYONE, other than these durn ELITISTS, chime in please?"

TLS - [crickets, mixed with the occasional white knight for the just ok school above saying "DO IT"]

Aquila

Bronze

Post by Aquila » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:24 am

180orRetake wrote:
Aquila wrote:
180orRetake wrote:

6'3

I bet my vertical is better than yours tho

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”