172/2.8 (3.9 for in masters program) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Liquox

Bronze

172/2.8 (3.9 for in masters program)

Post by Liquox » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:12 pm

What are my friend's chances of getting $$ from UCLA with a 172/ 2.8 (3.9 grad)?

I have a friend with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, and a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering. (Didn't realize he was much better at mechanical than electrical until later.) He wants to do patent prosecution.

edit: my bad lol, typed his words verbatim

Liquox

Bronze

Re: 172/2.8 (3.9 for in masters program)

Post by Liquox » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm

he's engineering, not social science and humanities, lol. the difference is he's guaranteed biglaw employment after being admitted and they're not

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Don't be so presumptuous. There are no guarantees in law school nor coming out of law school. Why even go to law school. With a M.S. in Engineering, your friend should be in a nice employment situation now. With that low GPA, and yes, the Masters degree is close to meaningless in law school admissions, your friend could get WUSTL full-ride, but t14 $$$ will be difficult to snag.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Liquox wrote:he's engineering, not social science and humanities, lol. the difference is he's guaranteed biglaw employment after being admitted and they're not
wut

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Liquox

Bronze

Post by Liquox » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:16 pm

BasilHallward wrote:Don't be so presumptuous. There are no guarantees in law school nor coming out of law school. Why even go to law school. With a M.S. in Engineering, your friend should be in a nice employment situation now. With that low GPA, and yes, the Masters degree is close to meaningless in law school admissions, your friend could get WUSTL full-ride, but t14 $$$ will be difficult to snag.
Here are some tips from a biglaw associate to you:

1) learn the market: we really don't care how fancy you think your hypothetical t14 degree is. if you majored in something useless in undergrad (in your case, you did, because clearly you don't understand the engineering job market), our clients don't want to pay for you. result... we're not hiring you. but we will hire an engineer who can sit for the patent bar. why? because we're drowning in patent work, and we'd rather pay 50k/yr for a yes-man like you than 160k/yr.

2) practice reading: find the nearest US news report and show me where UCLA qualifies as t14. honestly, why are you going to law school if you can't read?

for everyone else: if you don't know, no problem. thanks for thinking about it. if you don't know and pretend you know, that is a problem and i hope you're better informed in front of your future clients

King Dong

Bronze

Post by King Dong » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:39 pm

it seems like you have this all figured out and have a much better perspective than us peons
Liquox wrote: Here are some tips from a biglaw associate to you:

1) learn the market: we really don't care how fancy you think your hypothetical t14 degree is. if you majored in something useless in undergrad (in your case, you did, because clearly you don't understand the engineering job market), our clients don't want to pay for you. result... we're not hiring you. but we will hire an engineer who can sit for the patent bar. why? because we're drowning in patent work, and we'd rather pay 50k/yr for a yes-man like you than 160k/yr.
wut
Liquox wrote: for everyone else: if you don't know, no problem. thanks for thinking about it. if you don't know and pretend you know, that is a problem and i hope you're better informed in front of your future clients
i just provided the stats that were available

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Liquox wrote:he's engineering, not social science and humanities, lol. the difference is he's guaranteed biglaw employment after being admitted and they're not
You're right that this may have some effect, but schools don't get to say "engineering majors included" when reporting GPAs to USNWR. And most of the info people have here comes from the reports on MyLSN (the search results above include people who don't list their background, so they could have an engineering background; we just don't know).

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Liquox wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:Don't be so presumptuous. There are no guarantees in law school nor coming out of law school. Why even go to law school. With a M.S. in Engineering, your friend should be in a nice employment situation now. With that low GPA, and yes, the Masters degree is close to meaningless in law school admissions, your friend could get WUSTL full-ride, but t14 $$$ will be difficult to snag.

2) practice reading: find the nearest US news report and show me where UCLA qualifies as t14. honestly, why are you going to law school if you can't read?

for everyone else: if you don't know, no problem. thanks for thinking about it. if you don't know and pretend you know, that is a problem and i hope you're better informed in front of your future clients
Sounds like ur pretty hot shit bro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Liquox wrote:

Take a chill pill. Wow.

This is of course assuming that your "friend" will hang on to his technical skills that he learned whilst studying engineering. 3 years is plenty of time to accumulate rust. Does he have work experience? Lockheed Martin or something? I am assuming no, but correct me if I am wrong. But yeah, he may snag UCLA. It is difficult to say because the California schools love the GPA

Generally

Gold

Post removed.

Post by Generally » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Generally on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: You're right that this may have some effect, but schools don't get to say "engineering majors included" when reporting GPAs to USNWR. And most of the info people have here comes from the reports on MyLSN (the search results above include people who don't list their background, so they could have an engineering background; we just don't know).
True, and this is 100% purely speculative, anecdotal, and unofficial. BUT, I found that most of the splitters I knew came from a STEM background. Even though they don't get to say it, it seems as though the chances of being okay as a splitter are better if you're STEM than non-STEM. If there are people already inevitably far below median GPA with a good LSAT, it doesn't matter if you admit that as an engineering major or an art history major, but there currently seems to be more forgiveness towards someone who took an engineering major because of a perception of higher difficulty.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:28 pm

i am very similar to your "friend" in that i had an engineering background, a sub 3.0 gpa, and over 170 lsat

granted my gpa was very very close to 3.0 so its more or less .2 higher than your "friend's"

i got about 50k from ucla and am attending there now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”