3.05 CGPA/175/URM/unusual circumstances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mariamariao

New

3.05 CGPA/175/URM/unusual circumstances

Post by mariamariao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi guys,

I just wanted a bit of advice regarding my situation. I have 3.05 CGPA but let me explain further. I attended the university of toronto straight out high school in 2004. Long story short, I was not ready, I was immature and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I had no business being in school. At the same time my parents were finally solidifying their separation and they ended up moving out of the province where my siblings and I were. My mom moved to another province and my Dad moved back to our home country in Africa. This left me devastated and very depressed. I really messed up my first year and a half of undergrad (I'm talking like 4 Fs, multiple D's and C's) and was suspended for fourth months and put on academic probation. <- this is why my CGPA will never reflect my ability

Fast forward 5 years after having to find full time work and my own place and support myself, I realized there was a glass ceiling to how high I could go in the work force with only a high school diploma. I decided to get back into school and finsh my degree. My first semester back in Winter 2012, I got a 3.9 GPA which gave me the confidence I needed to know I could really get somewhere in life. I've stayed consistent for the most part with my sessional GPA's ranging from 3.3-3.9. I took the lsat this June and got A 175, but I was planning on retaking to aim for a 180 (too ambitious?).

I'm a URM splitter with a lot of soft factors: 13 years work experience (started at 15 and have worked every since)...worked at law firm (traffic tix and crim law) as admin, worked for my father who was an immigration lawyer, retail, grocery stores, collections, admin for my aunt's medico-legal practice in England, interned for PR company, have traveled solo a lot, professional singer, event planner, worked on residence as TA, research assistant for Prof, etc.

I am obviously going to write an addendum for my first failed attempt at university and ask that the university only consider my grades from my return onwards.....When I don't factor in my first year and a half of grades, my CGPA at it's highest will be a 3.55. What are my chances at Harvard? I really want to go to Harvard but also see NYU, Georgetown, U Penn, and Columbia as back ups. Sorry for the long story just wanted to give a clear picture.

fishbulb

New

Re: 3.05 CGPA/175/URM/unusual circumstances

Post by fishbulb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but HYS (definitely Y) is probably out for sure. Your LSAT score makes app worth it from CCN on down. If you can stomach the app fees for HS, apply.

edit: a word, and didn't realize OP is AA, woops
Last edited by fishbulb on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mariamariao

New

Post by mariamariao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:23 pm

I am a Black Canadian...in Dean Meeker's thread, he said that even foreign students can get a URM boost

thank you for your reply fishbulb, appreciate it

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:24 pm

fishbulb wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but HYS (definitely Y) is probably out for sure. Your LSAT score makes apps probably worth it from CCN on down. If you can stomach the app fees for HS, apply, but doubt they will dip that low for a GPA unless maybe you're AA.
Op said his home country is in Africa. This is hard to predict, but I bet he gets at least one of HYS

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:25 pm

definitely worth it to apply to Harvard I think black + 175 LSAT will get a very strong look for sure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mariamariao

New

Post by mariamariao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Let me clarify...we are immigrants from Africa to Canada...we got Canadian citizenship

thnx poopNpants...<--nice username :)

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:36 pm

mariamariao wrote:Let me clarify...we are immigrants from Africa to Canada...we got Canadian citizenship

Are you Somalian? I got alot of somalian fam out in Toronto I know we deep out there lol

As a technically "foreign" student though can you get federal loans for H? would you rather get scholarship money from other T14s? EDing to Northwestern might also be a good idea too if you want that 150K also

mariamariao

New

Post by mariamariao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:39 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
mariamariao wrote:Let me clarify...we are immigrants from Africa to Canada...we got Canadian citizenship

Are you Somalian? I got alot of somalian fam out in Toronto I know we deep out there lol

As a technically "foreign" student though can you get federal loans for H? would you rather get scholarship money from other T14s? EDing to Northwestern might also be a good idea too if you want that 150K also
From what I can see, Harvard's financial aid program applies to Canadians...I'm Canadian...I'd be open to money from the T-14s. I'm going to blanket t-14 and see what i get

I'm your neighbour fam, we're from Uganda! East Africa unite! lolll

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:41 pm

mariamariao wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:

From what I can see, Harvard's financial aid program applies to Canadians...I'm Canadian...I'd be open to money from the T-14s. I'm going to blanket t-14 and see what i get

I'm your neighbour fam, we're from Uganda! East Africa unite! lolll
Word, congrats on that LSAT score, blanket the entire T14 and you'll have some great options. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mariamariao

New

Post by mariamariao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Thank you..should I retry for 180

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 pm

mariamariao wrote:Thank you..should I retry for 180
No. You already hit every school's median range and beat most of their 75ths. Just work on all of your essays and get your apps in before Thanksgiving.

Congrats on that LSAT though. You should have a pretty good cycle.

mariamariao

New

Post by mariamariao » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:04 pm

thank you shump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”