3.1/176--Reapplying Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dizzydg

New

3.1/176--Reapplying

Post by dizzydg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I posted I thread in the "Choosing a law school" section, and after getting lots of great advice here and encouragement from family/friends, I've decided to sit out of UT this fall and try my chances this next cycle. If anything, it will give me another year to get WE and clear my head. I realize I'm a big splitter, and from what I've looked at on LSN and other places, it is kind of crapshoot. I'd apply to all the T14 and UT again.

uGPA: 3.1. Hard science major from a top public university.
LSAT: 176
Softs: Good WE and strong recs from attorneys I've worked with and places I've volunteered. No good recs from school unfortunately (will that hurt?)
non-URM male
From Texas, some connections in Cali.
Finances will be covered by family, so just trying to get accepted at the best schools I can. Not necessarily looking for the best deal.

One question I did have was if I should write an addendum for my low uGPA. I do not believe it reflects how I will perform in law school. Not sure how much schools care about this (or if some favor including one, then I will definitely write one). If anyone has any idea (outside of what's available on LSN) of how splitters are faring with low apps/reduced LSAT numbers this cycle that'd be appreciated. Not sure if that trend will continue though this year. I guess June LSAT takers will be a good indicator.

Thanks!

sandwhich

Bronze

Re: 3.1/176--Reapplying

Post by sandwhich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:31 pm

I think only put an addendum if you have a genuine, legitimate reason for your low gpa. I mean medical issues and the like. If your performance was steadily mediocre throughout college, an addendum is unlikely to explain that away. An upward trend, however, does warrant some explanation in my opinion and I think you can rebound from that.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:10 pm

sandwhich wrote:I think only put an addendum if you have a genuine, legitimate reason for your low gpa. I mean medical issues and the like. If your performance was steadily mediocre throughout college, an addendum is unlikely to explain that away. An upward trend, however, does warrant some explanation in my opinion and I think you can rebound from that.
I agree with the above. If you have some sort real reason that your GPA dipped at some point, its worth an addendum. If you have generally low performance, it is not. If you have an upward trend, I don't really see a reason for an addendum either unless there was a significant reason for the low points. If you just generally got better at studying, that doesn't require an addendum.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 pm

hearsay77 wrote: If you have an upward trend, I don't really see a reason for an addendum either unless there was a significant reason for the low points.
This is what I was referring to. I suppose I could've been clearer.

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:57 pm

sandwhich wrote:
hearsay77 wrote: If you have an upward trend, I don't really see a reason for an addendum either unless there was a significant reason for the low points.

Gotcha. May PM you guys about the reason if that's alright. It might not go over well, but I think for some of the schools I don't have a good shot of getting in to (T3, Chicago, Columbia) it may be worth it.

But no upward trend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:10 pm

dizzydg wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

Gotcha. May PM you guys about the reason if that's alright. It might not go over well, but I think for some of the schools I don't have a good shot of getting in to (T3, Chicago, Columbia) it may be worth it.

But no upward trend.
Feel free to PM me. I will say you might want to temper your expectations about Chi because apparently they are very GPA oriented, but that LSAT is pretty badass so worth the app either way

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:44 am

dizzydg wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

But no upward trend.
Yea feel free to PM me too. I think HYS are very unlikely with your GPA, but no harm in applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”