Decisions...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ncb

Decisions...

Postby ncb » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Hello! So, I'm not sure where to post this but it is somewhat relevant to the typical "what are my chances?" message board so I'm giving this a try. First off, please no rude comments. I really need some informative advice as I try to make a life decision.

Currently, I am finishing up my bachelors degree in accounting. I'm at a fork in the road, one way is to do the bachelors to masters program in accounting and become a CPA. My school has a great placement rate in the Big 4 and there is great chance I could end up there as well. The other way is to complete my bachelors and go to law school which is something that I have always wanted to do but I'm also super realistic when it comes to the legal field. I know I will get into some serious debt, but is it worth it? This is where the advice is needed. My overall GPA from the schools I've went to is a 3.0. I have no clue what I could possibly get on the LSAT but let's be conservative and say I got an average score, 155? Is it truly worth it to give up my spot in this program for law school? I don't even think I can get into any school worth going to.

Some other information: I'm 24, I have some work experience but none in the legal field. I'm from Texas and want to stay here, but I wouldn't mind leaving.

Someone talk to some sense into me! For some odd reason I still want to go to law school.

Clearly

Re: Decisions...

Postby Clearly » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:13 pm

I wouldn't personally. If you're going to resign yourself to a bad LSAT score it's a terrible idea. If you study till you master the test and break 170 it's a mediocre idea. However you appear to have options that don't suck, say in accounting, I'd just do that.

ncb

Postby ncb » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I don't know what I could possibly get on the LSAT but even at a high score its probably not a good idea. I do have a good option right now, but I've always had this desire and I want to make the right choice.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:46 pm

I think the right choice here is accounting.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:53 pm

ncb wrote:Hello! So, I'm not sure where to post this but it is somewhat relevant to the typical "what are my chances?" message board so I'm giving this a try. First off, please no rude comments. I really need some informative advice as I try to make a life decision.

Currently, I am finishing up my bachelors degree in accounting. I'm at a fork in the road, one way is to do the bachelors to masters program in accounting and become a CPA. My school has a great placement rate in the Big 4 and there is great chance I could end up there as well. The other way is to complete my bachelors and go to law school which is something that I have always wanted to do but I'm also super realistic when it comes to the legal field. I know I will get into some serious debt, but is it worth it? This is where the advice is needed. My overall GPA from the schools I've went to is a 3.0. I have no clue what I could possibly get on the LSAT but let's be conservative and say I got an average score, 155? Is it truly worth it to give up my spot in this program for law school? I don't even think I can get into any school worth going to.

Some other information: I'm 24, I have some work experience but none in the legal field. I'm from Texas and want to stay here, but I wouldn't mind leaving.

Someone talk to some sense into me! For some odd reason I still want to go to law school.

Why do you think you will get an average score ( not above or below)? Have you taken a cold diagnostic practice LSAT ( this should be your first step before making any type of prediction of your test day score).?

fwi; the average score is a 150 , not 155 which is a significant difference in the type of schools that will admit you ( unless you are saying you can get a 155)

ncb

Postby ncb » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:57 am

I have taken a diagnostic LSAT and I scored a 165 and I've heard that on the actual test it'll be about 10 points lower so thats why I said that. I'm sure if I worked really hard on it I could get a score in the 160s but I'm still not sure.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:02 am

Applying to law school with a 3.0 gpa is pretty hairy, no matter what lsat score you get.

If you can snag a full time acctg gig then that sounds like the better call.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:19 am

ncb wrote:Hello! So, I'm not sure where to post this but it is somewhat relevant to the typical "what are my chances?" message board so I'm giving this a try. First off, please no rude comments. I really need some informative advice as I try to make a life decision.

Nothing in here suggests that you should drop out of a potential big 4 gig, to pursue a JD at a mediocre school for massive amounts of debt. Applying with a 3.0 severely limits the schools you can get into, even with a 170+, let alone a 155. If your GPA was a 3.5, there could be a conversation, but with a 3.0, you're shut off at most of the t-14 - and if you get in, it would likely be at sticker. Again, you'd have a shot at good schools like WUSTL and you might even get money from them if they needed your LSAT enough, but it would be a pretty bad gamble - the opportunity cost of three years taking out debt, versus earning a solid salary alone should make you throw LS out the window as an option.

If you really want law, like REALLY REALLY REALLY I'LL DO ANYTHING, then study like crazy, get a 175+, boost your GPA a bit if you can, and apply to the NU ED - though you're most likely not getting it, since it comes with a full ride, and they're looking for students who have high GPA/LSAT combos + Work Experience.

ncb

Postby ncb » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses...I have been talked out of it lol. I think it is better for me to do accounting since it is the sure thing for me right now. I wish y'all the best of luck if y'all are pursing law school or in law school or post law school. Thanks again!

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:26 pm

ncb wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses...I have been talked out of it lol. I think it is better for me to do accounting since it is the sure thing for me right now. I wish y'all the best of luck if y'all are pursing law school or in law school or post law school. Thanks again!

Way to be rational. This is the right decision. Good luck on Big 4 and the CPA.

Return to “What are my chances?”