Newbie with Several Questions

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jenakagrace

Newbie with Several Questions

Postby jenakagrace » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:34 am

Hi! I recently discovered the TLS boards and was hoping you guys could give me some feedback. I have questions that span several different forum topics so I'm just posting them all in this thread to make life easier. I am strongly considering law school but am very new to the idea so I've been trying to absorb as much information as possible.

Here's some of my information:
-3 bachelors degrees (BS in Zoology, BA in Psychology, BA in Environmental Science) in 4.5 years at University of Oklahoma
-Undergrad total GPA: 3.4
-Currently getting MS in Zoology
-Took the LSAT diagnostic --- got a 157
-24 year old female
-Hoping to begin law school fall of 2017
-Interested in the JD/PhD program at Minnesota for law and conservation biology

So my questions are:
-Do you think getting 3 degrees in 4.5 years will outweigh my low GPA? Or at least help a substantial amount? My heart isn't set on a T14 school, but I am definitely interested in a "top" school.
-Have you heard anything about joint/dual JD/PhD plans? Recommended? Minnesota is ranked 20th so it's a good school, but I don't know how greuling trying to do both will be.
-My dream would be to stay with wildlife biology. However, jobs are limited so my next dream is eventually to be a judge. Any advice/general info for someone VERY new to the idea of law school?
-Any other recommendations for boosting my application? (I'm following pithypike's study guide.)
-I ordered the Trainer and the Powerscored LGB and LRB. I've seen on the forums mention of "Cambridge" and "Manhattan." Not sure what to order?

Thanks in advance! Any other general tips/comments/whatever for me are appreciated. I've been scouring the forums and have already learned so much!

rinkrat19

Re: Newbie with Several Questions

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 am

Were all three bachelor's degrees awarded simultaneously? If not, your GPA at the time the first one was awarded is what law school admissions will be based on. The fact that you have three degrees (soon four) will be a curiosity and not much more. Law school admissions are overwhelmingly a numbers game.

You're starting in an ok place for the LSAT, so with study you should be able to get >170. Assuming your GPA isn't disastrous, a top law school shouldn't be out of reach.

Minnesota is not a "top" law school. It's a solid regional school that can be a reasonable choice if you are attending with a large scholarship. You need to decide whether you want to aim at your teeny-tiny niche field and be ok with failure, or be open to working in some other type of law that actually has jobs. Your chances of being a judge are probably even less than being a...wildlife conservation lawyer or whatever you think that JD/PhD will make you. You should probably figure out what kind of dream job you think you want and research the backgrounds of people who actually have those jobs, and see if it's a reasonable course for you to take.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:45 am

OP, going to law school will probably mean giving up your dream to stay in wildlife biology.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:11 am

I don't see a correlation between your PhD and a JD. Normally people would do it in something like Finance, Philosophy, Economics, or Government. It might be difficult to first, get into the PhD program, and then graduate in a timely manner. Most JD/PhDs can be completed in like 6 years which is fantastic. You might want to consider how long you want to be in school too. You are 24. Leaving school close to age 30 may not be ideal. I think it's pretty cool that you have 3 degrees.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:54 am

jenakagrace wrote:Minnesota is ranked 20th so it's a good school

I am triggered

But seriously OP please don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer

stego

Postby stego » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:11 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
jenakagrace wrote:Minnesota is ranked 20th so it's a good school

I am triggered

But seriously OP please don't go if you don't want to be a lawyer

A few months ago I thought the same way, then I discovered TLS and realized that schools like Minnesota are really only regional in their placement and aren't really that great unless you want to practice there.

OP, as a fellow Sooner, based on your goals it doesn't sound like you should go to law school.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:18 am

It's really a question of: do you want to be a judge or do you want to stay with wildlife studies?

Your gpa when your first degree was awarded will matter. The multiple degrees is cool and curious, but won't really outweigh any negative implications.

The Cambridge packets are a godsend for LSAT studying.

Boost your application through crushing the LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances?”