171, 3.45 trying to sneak into top 5

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
landshoes
is that cool?

Re: 171, 3.45 trying to sneak into top 5

Postby landshoes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:11 am

ak45 wrote:Thanks a ton for all the responses. I didn't know about iilj, seems like a very interesting opportunity. To clarify, I have zero interest in big law, and am currently torn between government and international law. Also, i grew up in both chicago and new york (though primarily chicago) and have ties in both places.

Now I thought this was the most prestige-obsessed profession around. Does being in the top 5 (or 6) really not make that much of a difference in terms of employment prospects, particularly in non-big law scenarios?

It makes a huge difference

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:52 am

landshoes wrote:
ak45 wrote:Thanks a ton for all the responses. I didn't know about iilj, seems like a very interesting opportunity. To clarify, I have zero interest in big law, and am currently torn between government and international law. Also, i grew up in both chicago and new york (though primarily chicago) and have ties in both places.

Now I thought this was the most prestige-obsessed profession around. Does being in the top 5 (or 6) really not make that much of a difference in terms of employment prospects, particularly in non-big law scenarios?

I disagree, especially once you're outside of HYS. Staying in the T-14 is a good idea, but the differences within the T-14 are pretty small.

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
landshoes wrote:

I disagree, especially once you're outside of HYS. Staying in the T-14 is a good idea, but the differences within the T-14 are pretty small.

Differences within the T14 are substantial and important. Certain schools carry more prestige and are better at placing in particular markets.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:19 pm

UpandDown97 wrote:Differences within the T14 are substantial and important. Certain schools carry more prestige and are better at placing in particular markets.

Sure, but the OP's career goals are "not big law, government and international." OP does not have the GPA for HYS. I was responding to a post that said being in the top 5 (or 6) makes a huge difference. In a vacuum it does not for those goals, again assuming that HYS is out. I'm certainly not convinced that Columbia is necessarily a better choice than UVA or GULC for someone who just wants to work in DC doing not-biglaw things.

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:Differences within the T14 are substantial and important. Certain schools carry more prestige and are better at placing in particular markets.

Sure, but the OP's career goals are "not big law, government and international." OP does not have the GPA for HYS. I was responding to a post that said being in the top 5 (or 6) makes a huge difference. In a vacuum it does not for those goals, again assuming that HYS is out. I'm certainly not convinced that Columbia is necessarily a better choice than UVA or GULC for someone who just wants to work in DC doing not-biglaw things.

More or less agree with you. Geographic proximity and relative value of a degree in a particular market is what matters there- so Columbia might be better since its still relatively close (no plane needed to get to DC), but UVA and Gtown would probably be equivalent. But it'd be dumb to go to anywhere not on the east coast probably.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Also TBH top 5 doesn't seem like a thing considering NYU is a good spot for PI

0L though

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 am

I know I'm just one data point but with a 171 and <3.4, I was accepted off the waitlist from Penn, NYU, and Chicago this cycle (did not submit LOCIs). Seems like you might have a similar shot.

ETA I did not apply to Columbia.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm

I'd say penn ED is your best bet. Second would be NYU

ak45

Postby ak45 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:11 am

secadc11 wrote:I know I'm just one data point but with a 171 and <3.4, I was accepted off the waitlist from Penn, NYU, and Chicago this cycle (did not submit LOCIs). Seems like you might have a similar shot.

Interesting-did you have really strong softs and do you think that may have played a role?

kevgogators

Postby kevgogators » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:49 am

Pretty sure few people give a fuck between say CLS and Penn cause one is a "T5". Except the laypeople, maybe.

Check out law school transparency...Columbia & Cornell, for example, have similar employment scores rn

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:22 am

ak45 wrote:
secadc11 wrote:I know I'm just one data point but with a 171 and <3.4, I was accepted off the waitlist from Penn, NYU, and Chicago this cycle (did not submit LOCIs). Seems like you might have a similar shot.

Interesting-did you have really strong softs and do you think that may have played a role?

I'd say I have pretty strong softs, but not Olympic athlete strong. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
landshoes wrote:

Eh. If we're talking about employment, opportunity, risk, ect., there's a bigger gap between chicago/columbia and some T14s, or between yale and harvard, than there is between chicago ect. and harvard. If we're talking about an abstract "prestige" untied to outcomes and opportunity, well, I stopped caring.

tls16180

Postby tls16180 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
landshoes wrote:

Eh. If we're talking about employment, opportunity, risk, ect., there's a bigger gap between chicago/columbia and some T14s, or between yale and harvard, than there is between chicago ect. and harvard. If we're talking about an abstract "prestige" untied to outcomes and opportunity, well, I stopped caring.

jesus fucking christ. we get it. your parents went to harvard but you couldn't get in, so now you shit on HLS every fucking chance you get. check your inferiority complex and give it a rest would you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:01 pm

The fact that you created a new account to make a single post in a months old thread to contrive inaccurate personal information about a stranger on the internet suggests to me you're a very stable, happy person whose errant opinions should be given great weight.

tls2718

Postby tls2718 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote:months-old thread

and how many months is that? less than one?

inaccurate personal information

you've mentioned multiple times that your parents went to grad school at harvard. you had a below median lsat, below 25% gpa, and shit softs. you realized that the application fee would be a waste of money, so you didn't bother applying. it doesn't take a detective to put two and two together.

stranger on the internet

yeah, one that fills up TLS with his bullshit. case in point: how you feel, after two years of law school, fully qualified to talk about relative "employment, opportunity, risk, ect." [sic] between schools ranging from lower T14s to chicago to yale to harvard.

ErgoProxy

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 pm

tls2718 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:months-old thread

and how many months is that? less than one?

inaccurate personal information

you've mentioned multiple times that your parents went to grad school at harvard. you had a below median lsat, below 25% gpa, and shit softs. you realized that the application fee would be a waste of money, so you didn't bother applying. it doesn't take a detective to put two and two together.

stranger on the internet

yeah, one that fills up TLS with his bullshit. case in point: how you feel, after two years of law school, fully qualified to talk about relative "employment, opportunity, risk, ect." [sic] between schools ranging from lower T14s to chicago to yale to harvard.

Man, you need to chill out.

Return to “What are my chances?”