Chances for law school

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
husky22

Chances for law school

Postby husky22 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:28 am

Hi,

I am currently a poll-sci major at Northeastern. I just took the LSAT on June and I'm waiting on the results. I'm very confident I'm scoring 165 or more, but my GPA isn't too great (3.1) since I started as an econ major and it just wasn't what I wanted to study. After summer classes I would be applying with a 3.2 and hopefully a 165 or better. What are my chances for the following schools? Should I write and addendum explaining my low GPA due to choosing the wrong major?

BU, BC, Fordham, Northeastern.

I have work experience from the NU coop program and internships. I am an international student and would be able to afford tuition. Does this help my application?

Also, another thing I could do is wait a year and apply after taking the 8 classes I need to graduate college. My GPA could go up to 3.4 but I don't know that will happen for a fact. I could do another coop (full time job for a semester) at a better position. Would this possible increase of my GPA, adding another job to my resume and probably retaking the LSAT (perhaps hit the 170 since that last game killed me on the June lsat) help me and thus would it be worth it to wait a whole year to apply?

Finally, any ideas on the personal statement? I have read hundreds of ideas and blogs but any new ideas are always welcomed.

Thanks!!!

landshoes
is that cool?

Re: Chances for law school

Postby landshoes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:02 am

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 am

husky22 wrote:Hi,

I am currently a poll-sci major at Northeastern. I just took the LSAT on June and I'm waiting on the results. I'm very confident I'm scoring 165 or more, but my GPA isn't too great (3.1) since I started as an econ major and it just wasn't what I wanted to study. After summer classes I would be applying with a 3.2 and hopefully a 165 or better. What are my chances for the following schools? Should I write and addendum explaining my low GPA due to choosing the wrong major?

BU, BC, Fordham, Northeastern.

I have work experience from the NU coop program and internships. I am an international student and would be able to afford tuition. Does this help my application?

Also, another thing I could do is wait a year and apply after taking the 8 classes I need to graduate college. My GPA could go up to 3.4 but I don't know that will happen for a fact. I could do another coop (full time job for a semester) at a better position. Would this possible increase of my GPA, adding another job to my resume and probably retaking the LSAT (perhaps hit the 170 since that last game killed me on the June lsat) help me and thus would it be worth it to wait a whole year to apply?

Finally, any ideas on the personal statement? I have read hundreds of ideas and blogs but any new ideas are always welcomed.

Thanks!!!

Fellow NEU undergrad grad here. You should definitely raise that GPA, and don't decide where you are going till you get your score back. I would strongly advise against going to NEU for law school. The employment rate is not good, and there are better options (BU/BC if you want a regional).

Also why law school? What makes you think it will be more interesting than econ? And what if you are uninterested? Are you going to stop caring again? Your grades will be the number one factor determining your employment chances. IMO, until you figure out how to apply yourself even when you arent in love with the subject, this is not worth the risk of unemployment and the high cost of attendance, even if you/your parents are able to pay out of pocket.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 am

I would definitely wait a year to apply, work on getting your GPA and LSAT both up as much as possible, and you get the bonus of being able to get a year or two of work experience while you're working on increasing those numbers.

Return to “What are my chances?”