Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:21 am

Last edited by texasellewoods on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Review

Re: Chances at HYS straight out of college, no work, only internships

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:24 am

Just wait until you have a real LSAT score. Until then, http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/ is your friend

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 am

Last edited by texasellewoods on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:48 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

wonka wrote:I second the wait-for-LSAT response.

But I'll go ahead and play the speculation game anyway, because meh. If you end up with a great LSAT (like a 172+) I'd say you have a real shot, especially at H. If you're able to craft a good application there's no harm in applying this cycle. And if you don't get the results you'd like, just get some WE and try again in a year or two!

At any rate, though, I recommend taking some time off before lawl school. The break is nice and the WE definitely gives you a new perspective.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 am

texasellewoods wrote:I've looked at that site before, its great!! Do you know of any site that allows you to input WE, since that is what I am specifically worried about rn?
Thanks for your help!

WE, unless it is something very unique and sought after, tends to have a smaller impact on admissions than a 1-2 point LSAT jump can, depending on where you lie wrt a school's medians. Some schools (Northwestern) prefer WE and weight it a little more heavily, but most schools don't care.

Honestly, if you decide to get a couple of years of WE, do it for you, not for the school. You can get a lot out of it - money, perspective, real world skills.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:02 pm

The value of work experience is not an admissions bump, although there is a small one. The real value is learning to work for a living and getting a perspective other than that of a student.

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Last edited by texasellewoods on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 pm

texasellewoods wrote:My concern is that I will get out of the 'school mindset'

What? No.

texasellewoods wrote:won't benefit from having my career services office help me with my applications (which I can imagine can be pretty difficult if you try to balance those with full-time work).

If you can't work full time and apply to law school on the side (especially with the LSAT out of the way), law school may not be for you.

texasellewoods wrote:So I guess the question is more "Will going straight through be detrimental" instead of "Is WE helpful," because like you said there are some pretty great benefits to getting a job.

If you don't already know what you would be doing, it likely would not be helpful enough to make a real difference. K-JD is common at most (if not all) law schools.
Last edited by Dr. Review on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnderWiggin

Postby EnderWiggin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:13 pm

texasellewoods wrote:
Dr. Review wrote:
texasellewoods wrote:I've looked at that site before, its great!! Do you know of any site that allows you to input WE, since that is what I am specifically worried about rn?
Thanks for your help!

WE, unless it is something very unique and sought after, tends to have a smaller impact on admissions than a 1-2 point LSAT jump can, depending on where you lie wrt a school's medians. Some schools (Northwestern) prefer WE and weight it a little more heavily, but most schools don't care.

Honestly, if you decide to get a couple of years of WE, do it for you, not for the school. You can get a lot out of it - money, perspective, real world skills.

My concern is that I will get out of the 'school mindset' and won't benefit from having my career services office help me with my applications (which I can imagine can be pretty difficult if you try to balance those with full-time work).
So I guess the question is more "Will going straight through be detrimental" instead of "Is WE helpful," because like you said there are some pretty great benefits to getting a job.

What resources does your school's career services office provide for law school applicants that you believe won't be available to you via other sources (like this site) several years from now?

Not asking to sound snarky, but am genuinely curious. The "law school advisors" at most colleges and universities seem to give middling advice at best, and some have even been known to harm more than help. viewtopic.php?t=233614

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:20 pm

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Last edited by texasellewoods on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:33 pm

texasellewoods wrote:
Dr. Review wrote:
texasellewoods wrote:My concern is that I will get out of the 'school mindset'

What? No.

texasellewoods wrote:won't benefit from having my career services office help me with my applications (which I can imagine can be pretty difficult if you try to balance those with full-time work).

If you can't work full time and apply to law school on the side (especially with the LSAT out of the way), law school may not be for you.

texasellewoods wrote:So I guess the question is more "Will going straight through be detrimental" instead of "Is WE helpful," because like you said there are some pretty great benefits to getting a job.

If you don't already know what you would be doing, it likely would not be helpful enough to make a real difference. K-JD is common at most (if not all) law schools.

Its not that I can't handle applications and work (I agree that that would be a poor indicator) its just that I would much rather not haha. I know that I will be able to devote more time and attention to my application if I only have to balance it with classes, and my recommendation letters from professors/employers will be stronger if I am still able to visit them/talk with them often. From what you and others are saying, it sounds like my lack of WE shouldn't be too big of an issue - thank you!!

Hey texasellewoods! I'm just going to throw in a caveat here: WE is going to be more important the lower your LSAT and less important the higher your LSAT. If your score comes back a 180, screw it, just apply! If it comes back a 173 or below however, you become more of a bubble candidate for YHS, at which point being K-JD really might be detrimental (because they will have plenty of candidates with your numbers, and are likely going to use WE or something similar as a tie-breaker). Hopefully you exceeded your average and won't have to stress, but just thought that is something you should keep in mind!

texasellewoods

Postby texasellewoods » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 am

Take at least one year off, it helps for admissions, OCI, and life.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:24 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Take at least one year off, it helps for admissions, OCI, and life.

Return to “What are my chances?”