3.25/176 with multiple cancellations. Insight appreciated.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Cregg Schinkel

3.25/176 with multiple cancellations. Insight appreciated.

Postby Cregg Schinkel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:04 pm

-Graduated in 2011 with a 3.25 gpa from a top 25 school.
-no job lined up for after graduation, so I panicked and took the test 3 times in 2011, cancelled all three. Gave up on law school for a time.
-started working at a hotel, then got a paid position on a political campaign, parlayed that into my current gig.
-retook in October 14 and got a 176, looking to apply this fall.
-going to assume that I have average softs.

Will my 3 cancellations from 2011 weaken my chances with the T14, specifically UVA and Michigan? And should I write an addendum about them regardless?

Thanks in advance.

trebekismyhero

Re: 3.25/176 with multiple cancellations. Insight appreciated.

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Cregg Schinkel wrote:-Graduated in 2011 with a 3.25 gpa from a top 25 school.
-no job lined up for after graduation, so I panicked and took the test 3 times in 2011, cancelled all three. Gave up on law school for a time.
-started working at a hotel, then got a paid position on a political campaign, parlayed that into my current gig.
-retook in October 14 and got a 176, looking to apply this fall.
-going to assume that I have average softs.

Will my 3 cancellations from 2011 weaken my chances with the T14, specifically UVA and Michigan? And should I write an addendum about them regardless?

Thanks in advance.

I only cancelled one time, but it didn't matter at all and I don't even think 3 will. They only care about your 176. I think you are in good shape at Michigan. I personally don't think you need an addendum, but maybe someone who has cancelled more than once will have different advice

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Your cancellations will weaken your chances by 0%. This is conventional wisdom because it has been stated by several well-respected former admissions people. I had two LSAT cancels and still made nearly $1 mil in scholarship money from the T14 (with a score 7 points below you). Just apply to each of the T14 schools (HYS probably not worth spending money on, as they almost never take GPAs as low as yours). I imagine you'll get big money at a few lower T14 schools.

I think you should definitely write an addendum nevertheless. Explain that you weren't sure of whether you wanted to go to law school, and that led to your three cancels. And further explain that, having gained work experience, your initial interest in the law has been substantiated. In fact I would revolve your entire application around that idea -- your PS on how work experience has framed your current decision, LORs explaining the same, and writing "why Michigan/Virginia" to every school you apply to. This will give adcomms a compelling look at who you are and should give you great success. I had a similar story as you and did these things and it worked out well. PM for more details.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Nobody will care about LSAT score cancellations that occurred over 4 years ago. No need to write an addendum about a non-issue, in my opinion.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:45 am

You'll be fine. Apply everywhere but HYS and probably B. No addendum necessary. Congrats on the 176!

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:09 pm

If i had seen this thread I wouldn''t have posted mine. Really good information to know.

Return to “What are my chances?”