3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pantsuitchic
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:47 pm

3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby pantsuitchic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:04 am

T-20 is the goal. Want to practice in Boston or DC. Worked as a paralegal at a top 10 firm for the past 2.5 years.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 am

I don't know much about Boston, but I know that DC is one of the hardest major markets to reach. My understanding is that DC pulls from HYS and the best students at Georgetown and (to a lesser extent) UVA. So, you'll probably need to do better than "T-20" (is that a thing?) mylsn.com gives you these chances with your current numbers:
Image
Retake the LSAT so that you can go to a school that gives you a fighting chance at reaching your goals.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:28 am

Have you considered the part-time program at Georgetown (in addition to applying to the full-time programs at Georgetown & Cornell) ? Also, consider BC & BU since you should get hefty scholarship offers.

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:36 am

Aren't DC and boston the two hardest east coast markets? I think a retake for the t14 is tcr. Even a 168-169 should land you a healthy scholarship at cornell

pantsuitchic
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby pantsuitchic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:I don't know much about Boston, but I know that DC is one of the hardest major markets to reach. My understanding is that DC pulls from HYS and the best students at Georgetown and (to a lesser extent) UVA. So, you'll probably need to do better than "T-20" (is that a thing?)


My firm hired 29 summers this year and four of them came from GW. Only one Georgetown this year, surprisingly.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:58 am

pantsuitchic wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:I don't know much about Boston, but I know that DC is one of the hardest major markets to reach. My understanding is that DC pulls from HYS and the best students at Georgetown and (to a lesser extent) UVA. So, you'll probably need to do better than "T-20" (is that a thing?)


My firm hired 29 summers this year and four of them came from GW. Only one Georgetown this year, surprisingly.

Interesting. Yeah, I should be clear that I'm only parroting conventional wisdom and have no statistical evidence whatsoever. That said, do you really want to play the odds at GW? A one in three chance of Biglaw/fedclerck is just too risky for me. And that is a hard statistic: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/2014/ Any reason you cannot retake?

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby downbeat14 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:17 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pantsuitchic
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby pantsuitchic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
pantsuitchic wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:I don't know much about Boston, but I know that DC is one of the hardest major markets to reach. My understanding is that DC pulls from HYS and the best students at Georgetown and (to a lesser extent) UVA. So, you'll probably need to do better than "T-20" (is that a thing?)


My firm hired 29 summers this year and four of them came from GW. Only one Georgetown this year, surprisingly.

Interesting. Yeah, I should be clear that I'm only parroting conventional wisdom and have no statistical evidence whatsoever. That said, do you really want to play the odds at GW? A one in three chance of Biglaw/fedclerck is just too risky for me. And that is a hard statistic: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/2014/ Any reason you cannot retake?


I was just making a point re GW - it's definitely not my first choice.

I'm planning on retaking in October, but I still would like to get my applications in ASAP. Thoughts on this? Is it better to just wait to submit my application until I have the second score?

User avatar
OhBoyOhBortles
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:19 pm

downbeat14 wrote:Retake


Sending apps in November will be just fine. Focus on getting the score up.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:25 pm

pantsuitchic wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:
pantsuitchic wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:I don't know much about Boston, but I know that DC is one of the hardest major markets to reach. My understanding is that DC pulls from HYS and the best students at Georgetown and (to a lesser extent) UVA. So, you'll probably need to do better than "T-20" (is that a thing?)


My firm hired 29 summers this year and four of them came from GW. Only one Georgetown this year, surprisingly.

Interesting. Yeah, I should be clear that I'm only parroting conventional wisdom and have no statistical evidence whatsoever. That said, do you really want to play the odds at GW? A one in three chance of Biglaw/fedclerck is just too risky for me. And that is a hard statistic: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/2014/ Any reason you cannot retake?


I was just making a point re GW - it's definitely not my first choice.

I'm planning on retaking in October, but I still would like to get my applications in ASAP. Thoughts on this? Is it better to just wait to submit my application until I have the second score?

Good question. If you are very confident that the new score would be higher than the old one I would probably wait, but have your applications ready to go the day your new score is out. Assuming the score takes the usual three weeks, October 24 is still pretty early in the cycle, and I would bet that the delay is worth having the first look at your application be as good as possible. Interesting question though. It might be worth heading over to this thread to ask Spivey:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Wait until you sit for the October LSAT test. No need to apply earlier.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: 3.73 GPA, 165 LSAT

Postby KMart » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:39 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:If you are very confident that the new score would be higher than the old one I would probablywait, but have your applications ready to go the day your new score is out. Assuming the score takes the usual three weeks, October 24 is still pretty early in the cycle, and I would bet that the delay is worth having the first look at your application be as good as possible.

This is great advice, OP. Take it.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Keardus and 4 guests