International Applicant, LSAT 176

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SullatheDictator

International Applicant, LSAT 176

Postby SullatheDictator » Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am

Hi guys,

GPA 4.0, LSAT 176. Obviously i know number wise the chances are good for HYS but there are a few special circumstances for me

- Graduated from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Global Business Major) with a 4.0 GPA (<Top 1%)
- German National
- 2 years work experience in consultancy in Singapore
- Did an Exchange semester in the States (University of Minnesota) with a GPA of 3.4 (grades were pass/fail for me as agreement with my real university, so I didnt even attend a few of the finals). Problem here is while this didnt count at all for my true GPA, LSAC still wants me to send that transcript.

Key Question: Do they treat internationals / people with work experience in non-law fields differently? Are my chances at HYS as good as the calculators seem to suggest?

tiltedwindmill

Re: International Applicant, LSAT 176

Postby tiltedwindmill » Tue May 26, 2015 10:28 am

You will get a superior (for your GPA) and they will more heavily weigh your 176-- they don't care about the non-grades at U Minn. You're probably in as good of a position, as an international applicant, as one would ever be.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 am

SullatheDictator wrote:Hi guys,

GPA 4.0, LSAT 176. Obviously i know number wise the chances are good for HYS but there are a few special circumstances for me

- Graduated from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Global Business Major) with a 4.0 GPA (<Top 1%)
- German National
- 2 years work experience in consultancy in Singapore
- Did an Exchange semester in the States (University of Minnesota) with a GPA of 3.4 (grades were pass/fail for me as agreement with my real university, so I didnt even attend a few of the finals). Problem here is while this didnt count at all for my true GPA, LSAC still wants me to send that transcript.

Key Question: Do they treat internationals / people with work experience in non-law fields differently? Are my chances at HYS as good as the calculators seem to suggest?

Don't expect to be treated like someone with a U.S. GPA of 4.0. Calculators are not of much use to you. You'll receive a foreign transcript evaluation, which indeed will presumably classify your undergraduate record as "superior". If you took less than 60 semester credits worth of coursework at a U.S. institution, you won't be assigned a U.S. GPA. You're in good shape for admission to HYS, but do note that you are not a shoe-in (H and Y both rejected me for instance with a 175/Superior). Put some extra work into writing a personal statement since schools will want to know why you want to study law in the U.S.

SullatheDictator

Postby SullatheDictator » Tue May 26, 2015 11:38 am

Work experience will make no difference I assume? Bummer thought my chances would be better.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue May 26, 2015 11:39 am

SullatheDictator wrote:Work experience will make no difference I assume? Bummer thought my chances would be better.

Oh it'll help somewhat for sure, just like it does for everyone, but that's hard to quantify.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Tue May 26, 2015 6:51 pm

No such thing as a lock for YS (and debatable at H, but I think there's no lock there either). Lock at CCN down, I think. Work experience is valuable but if and only if you can weave it into your personal narrative. Take the time to prepare a convincing narrative of why you, as an international, want to go to a US law school. This is especially important for Y. Good luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”