Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Dan0504
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 am

Hello, I KNOW YOU HAVE HEARD THIS BEFORE :arrow: I have read almost every C&F Post and have a few specifics questions that I can't seem to find answered anywhere else.

Interested in UM, Cardoza, Rutgers, UF, FSU, NOVA (2016)
LSAT PT:157 GPA:3.5 (testing in june)

(EDITED FOR DISCRETION)

This was from a very hard time in my life 2006-2010, the death of a parent at a young age, enlistment in the military, and Mental health issues after combat deployment. It has been 5+ years since I have had any run in with the law, I regularly do community service now, and I have passes a few random drug tests that I have records of.
(only one red light camera in the last 5 years). :D

Thoughts on how I should approach this?
Last edited by Dan0504 on Tue May 26, 2015 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13487
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 1:13 am

Dug up an old application and these were the relevant looking questions:

2. Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any crime or offense other than a minor traffic violation? This includes any charges, complaints or citations that were filed against you as a juvenile or as an adult, formal or informal, pending or closed, dismissed, expunged, sealed or subject to a diversionary program, and includes any charges, complaints or citations that you reasonably expect to be brought against you. If so, please provide all material facts and an explanation of the circumstances.
Yes
No
Required field

3. Have you been discharged or dismissed from the armed forces, other than by honorable discharge, or sentenced in a court-martial proceeding?
Yes
No


re: #2: you have definitely been charged with an offense. I would put it here, or in a similarly worded question. Maybe work it in to #3, but by definition an article 15 is not a court-martial, so doesn't seem to fit.

Basically, this is a non-issue, just find the best place on your ap to disclose and hope for the best.

User avatar
Dan0504
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:16 am

Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13487
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 am

Dan0504 wrote:Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?


Nah, I think it's no big deal as long as you disclose. Write a short explanation (I was young and dumb) and you should be good.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:22 am

Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.

User avatar
Dan0504
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:27 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby runinthefront » Tue May 26, 2015 1:28 am

Dan0504 wrote:Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?


you'd be c/o 2019 which would put almost nine years behind your most recent offense when the bar's looking at it

i would maybe wait (a concededly arbitrary) one more year

WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


OP, you should definitely undoubtedly retake the LSAT. You'll probably need a stronger application than most because of your past C&F issues. I also don't know about any GI Bill you may have or other means of assistance, but you'd definitely need a really large scholarship from basically only UF/FSU while being from Florida to make it worth it. I wouldn't go to any of the other schools. I do think saying that going to UF/FSU as a FL resident without a full scholarship is more detrimental than multiple C&F violations is unnecessary hyperbole.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby runinthefront » Tue May 26, 2015 1:31 am

Dan0504 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.


you shouldn't be content with your PT scores

they're not good enough to be content with

even if you're gunning for FSU/UF, your past history suggests a pattern of very poor decisions and I'm sure adcomms will be hesitant to admit you without some "wow" factor in your application and unfortunately, military service just doesn't do that

You really need to retake

User avatar
Dan0504
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:39 am

runinthefront wrote:
Dan0504 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.


you shouldn't be content with your PT scores

they're not good enough to be content with

even if you're gunning for FSU/UF, your past history suggests a pattern of very poor decisions and I'm sure adcomms will be hesitant to admit you without some "wow" factor in your application and unfortunately, military service just doesn't do that

You really need to retake


Thank you, I will still take June 8th for the experience, and retake in October to try and max out my score.

What do you mean by "wow factor"? I am a decorated Combat Medic, With awards for saving soldiers lives, I am in my honors program, will have a published thesis next semester, I am president of my fraternity, multiple scholarship awards, president's list, dean's list, voluntary community service, and work experience. Should I not be focusing on these attributes.

I did struggled with emotional problems in my adolescence, I made mistakes and I accept them and their consequences. However, I don't want my record from this time period to be what defines me as an applicant.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:41 am

runinthefront wrote:
Dan0504 wrote:Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?


you'd be c/o 2019 which would put almost nine years behind your most recent offense when the bar's looking at it

i would maybe wait (a concededly arbitrary) one more year

WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


OP, you should definitely undoubtedly retake the LSAT. You'll probably need a stronger application than most because of your past C&F issues. I also don't know about any GI Bill you may have or other means of assistance, but you'd definitely need a really large scholarship from basically only UF/FSU while being from Florida to make it worth it. I wouldn't go to any of the other schools. I do think saying that going to UF/FSU as a FL resident without a full scholarship is more detrimental than multiple C&F violations is unnecessary hyperbole.

This is nonsense. He has two marijuana incidents and an acquittal for a more serious crime. Literally no actual criminal convictions as an adult. As long as he discloses this really won't be a problem. Also another year would do absolutely nothing on the C&F front.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 am

Dan0504 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
Dan0504 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.


you shouldn't be content with your PT scores

they're not good enough to be content with

even if you're gunning for FSU/UF, your past history suggests a pattern of very poor decisions and I'm sure adcomms will be hesitant to admit you without some "wow" factor in your application and unfortunately, military service just doesn't do that

You really need to retake


Thank you, I will still take June 8th for the experience, and retake in October to try and max out my score.

What do you mean by "wow factor"? I am a decorated Combat Medic, With awards for saving soldiers lives, I am in my honors program, will have a published thesis next semester, I am president of my fraternity, multiple scholarship awards, president's list, dean's list, voluntary community service, and work experience. Should I not be focusing on these attributes.

I did struggled with emotional problems in my adolescence, I made mistakes and I accept them and their consequences. However, I don't want my record from this time period to be what defines me as an applicant.

That time period won't define you as an applicant. You know what will define 50%+ of your application? Your LSAT score. Sadly, it is more important than all of those impressive soft factors you listed combined. Don't waste all the achievements you've made because you aren't willing to fully commit to this learnable test. You need to take it 3 times, and the first time should not be a planned "mulligan." You need to be absolutely prepared the first time you take it, because even if you are PTing well, shit can happen on test day.

User avatar
Dan0504
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:49 am

Alright, point taken. I have to be honest and admit I didn't really see myself scoring above a 165. Is everyone suggesting that a 170+ is an obtainable goal?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:52 am

Dan0504 wrote:Alright, point taken. I have to be honest and admit I didn't really see myself scoring above a 165. Is everyone suggesting that a 170+ is an obtainable goal.

There is a HUGE difference between 157 and 165. I don't think 170 is attainable for EVERYONE, but I think 165+ is attainable for most people. A month of study really isn't that much at all. I probably put legitimately 400 hours into studying for the LSAT and still don't think I completely maximized my potential.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13487
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 1:58 am

Dan0504 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.


The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.

Yeah, that's like...nothing man. Poke around this board for a bit, lots of good information out there,

User avatar
Dan0504
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby Dan0504 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Well I got a 161... Should be good for most florida schools

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Dan0504 wrote:Well I got a 161... Should be good for most florida schools

Great attitude bro, you'll go far.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful and 2 guests