Any advice regarding WE?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
emilymoore04

Any advice regarding WE?

Postby emilymoore04 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm applying to law school K-JD. If I have to take a year or two off post undergraduate, then that's fine, but right now, I'm working to attend a T-14 school right out of undergrad.

Can anyone on here give me any advice on how to up my chances, despite my lack of WE? Anything I should say in my interviews, essays? Have any of you guys gotten into schools that weigh WE heavily (like NYU, Northwestern), K-JD? What did you guys do?

PoopNpants

Re: Any advice regarding WE?

Postby PoopNpants » Sat May 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Have a GPA and an LSAT both well above the 75%
That would probably help

emilymoore04

Postby emilymoore04 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:20 pm

PoopNpants wrote:Have a GPA and an LSAT both well above the 75%
That would probably help

My LSAT is well above the 75%. My GPA, however, is not. While there are some unforeseen issues that affected my GPA, I don't want to focus on them too much because I don't want it to look like I am making excuses for my subpar (comparatively) performance. My GPA is below the 25% percentile, but not by too much.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Sat May 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emilymoore04

Postby emilymoore04 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:06 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Is this for you or your friend?

At any rate, if you're confident you want to be a lawyer, I'm not sure that taking time off just to benefit your chances would necessarily pay off. Taking time between undergrad and law school is a great idea if you're not sure if you want to be a lawyer or if you have something else you'd really like to do (service/peace corps, teaching, traveling, whatever).

But, I'm not convinced working for a year at an entry-level corporate position would give you a leg up or help you over perform your numbers.

Somebody with more knowledge about admissions may disagree.

For me. I'm applying this cycle and it hit me that I'm really lacking in this area and all of a sudden, I'm really nervous to apply. I'm pretty much applying all over the T-14, and some of those schools really weigh WE & that makes me nervous. I'm 100% sure I want to be a lawyer. I just need some help on conveying that I am ready to take on law school.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Sat May 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 23, 2015 9:28 pm

It seems the schools that are most splitter friendly may be the ones that weigh WE most heavily (I would guess because it makes clear whether your GPA is representative of your abilities or not), but I don't think WE is going to get you into a school where your numbers don't get you in (at least, not the kind of WE you'd get taking a year or two off from school). Many people seem to suggest that WE is more helpful in getting you a job once OCI rolls around.

emilymoore04

Postby emilymoore04 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It seems the schools that are most splitter friendly may be the ones that weigh WE most heavily (I would guess because it makes clear whether your GPA is representative of your abilities or not), but I don't think WE is going to get you into a school where your numbers don't get you in (at least, not the kind of WE you'd get taking a year or two off from school). Many people seem to suggest that WE is more helpful in getting you a job once OCI rolls around.

Okay, that makes sense. I definitely don't want to wait too long before starting law school, so I think that applying for next Fall is the best shot that I have. I am pretty much a splitter for most of the schools I'm applying to.

Return to “What are my chances?”