2.9 GPA 154 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HarrisonK

2.9 GPA 154 LSAT

Postby HarrisonK » Wed May 20, 2015 4:42 pm

What types of schools could I get into with this score? I'm thinking about Brooklyn, Miami, Seattle, and Denver. Are these realistic? What is the lowest score I need to be able to get into these schools?

I don't know if it helps but I'll have some excellent LOR and I own a business with a good story to tell about it in my personal statement.

Clemenceau

Re: 2.9 GPA 154 LSAT

Postby Clemenceau » Wed May 20, 2015 4:45 pm

No idea what your chances are. Probably not great.

But more importantly, what do you want to do with your JD? These schools are all over the map and quite frankly offer terrible job prospects.

Might wanna stick with your business if its doing well.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 pm

You need at least a 170 for law school to be an objectively "good" option. I would recommend retaking and saving money.

If you are near one of these schools you listed (i.e., you're from Miami and you're applying to UM), I would only go if (a) you get a scholarship, and (b) you're not set on big law

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Wed May 20, 2015 8:40 pm

HarrisonK wrote:What types of schools could I get into with this score? I'm thinking about Brooklyn, Miami, Seattle, and Denver. Are these realistic? What is the lowest score I need to be able to get into these schools?

I don't know if it helps but I'll have some excellent LOR and I own a business with a good story to tell about it in my personal statement.

I wouldn't worry too much, you should be able to get in Brooklyn and a few other schools. Maybe Miami.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 pm

HarrisonK wrote:What types of schools could I get into with this score? I'm thinking about Brooklyn, Miami, Seattle, and Denver. Are these realistic? What is the lowest score I need to be able to get into these schools?

This seems like a random list. Only go to a regional school in an area where you want to practice, where you have connections to the local legal community, and only if the regional school gives you a full-ride scholarship or close to it.
HarrisonK wrote:I don't know if it helps but I'll have some excellent LOR and I own a business with a good story to tell about it in my personal statement.

None of this matters. Only your LSAT and your GPA matter.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 am

You're basically f'd

HarrisonK

Postby HarrisonK » Thu May 21, 2015 10:34 am

I just started studying 2 months ago and I'm thinking I'll get just under a 155 in June. However, if I wait until october I'm confident that I should get a 160 if not slightly higher. Is it worth it to wait until Oct. and start school an entire year later?

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am

HarrisonK wrote:I just started studying 2 months ago and I'm thinking I'll get just under a 155 in June. However, if I wait until october I'm confident that I should get a 160 if not slightly higher. Is it worth it to wait until Oct. and start school an entire year later?

Yes. No rush.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 am

HarrisonK wrote:I just started studying 2 months ago and I'm thinking I'll get just under a 155 in June. However, if I wait until october I'm confident that I should get a 160 if not slightly higher. Is it worth it to wait until Oct. and start school an entire year later?

How does taking the test in October push you back a year? Do all those schools actually take June scores for this fall?

HarrisonK

Postby HarrisonK » Thu May 21, 2015 12:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

How does taking the test in October push you back a year? Do all those schools actually take June scores for this fall?

Yes, many of these schools will accept a handful of June test takers for the fall. It appears that they need to fill some seats.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 pm

If your business is profitable I don't really see the point of going to one of these schools. You have more peak potential with your own business, and the things that suck about owning a business - collecting money, major fluctuations in income and larger companies trying to put you out of business are all issues with the types of jobs any of these schools might provide you with. You essentially get all of the negatives you have now with none of the positives.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Thu May 21, 2015 1:27 pm

HarrisonK wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yes, many of these schools will accept a handful of June test takers for the fall. It appears that they need to fill some seats.

That would be a terrible idea. Take the test in October and apply next cycle.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 pm

HarrisonK wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

You should pause to ask yourself why these schools will still have seats to fill in July.

axes

Postby axes » Thu May 28, 2015 3:37 am

Why do you want a JD? Law schools value these numbers for a reason. Law in all forms is a career that requires time management and a strong work ethic (GPA), as well as verbal/analytical proficiency (LSAT). On some level, admissions isn't meant to be a prize, but a match to be made. And these metrics give you information too-- information that says that maybe your skills predict success in your business, or something else.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 am

Plenty of law schools will accept you & your tuition money. One goal should be to attend law school on a full tuition scholarship in a geographic region where you would like to live & work after law school.
A 2.9 GPA indicates a possible lack of serious effort during undergraduate school. Law school courses require an intense amount of work.

PhilippeStandingOnIt

Postby PhilippeStandingOnIt » Thu May 28, 2015 10:31 am

I landed two full scholarships (one at a T1, and one ranked 50-60), and a number of 2/3-3/4 scholarships at T20 schools with a 3.1.

While a 3.1 is real-world realistically similar to a 2.9, you may have difficulty from being on just the wrong side of the 3.0 divide. That said, you should be able to get FAR better options than the ones you listed, IF you will hold out and work on your LSAT.

SD1992

Postby SD1992 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Brooklyn and Miami are a bit out of your range, but you do have a shot. Denver is a little less than a 50/50 shot. You would probably be accepted to Seattle.

I would retake the LSAT if I was in your shoes. Just a little effort and your LSAT can offset your GPA enough to get you into some decent schools -- you might even get scholarship offers at Seattle or Denver if you improve your LSAT scores by just a few points.

I don't know how true it is but pretty much everyone believes that Letters of Recommendation and Personal Statements are little more than formalities nowadays. They might help you get an edge over someone who has the same numbers as you (but lacks the softs), but they're not going to push you ahead of someone with a 3.0/156. Law schools are extremely sensitive about their reputation and that's largely determined by the index score of students they accept.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat May 30, 2015 2:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Law school courses require an intense amount of work.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “What are my chances?”