3.85 gpa, 162, non-trad splitter

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mntaylor

3.85 gpa, 162, non-trad splitter

Postby mntaylor » Tue May 12, 2015 10:23 pm

So as the title says, I am a non-traditional applicant (33, mother to two children) and am currently in undergrad at a large public university. I am not a URM. I have what I consider pretty good softs: great letters, published research (listed as first author) in a peer-reviewed journal in my field of undergraduate study, and a positive GPA trend (all A's for my last 3 semesters). Additionally, I have had a very strenuous schedule my entire time at my university with a minimum of 18 credits a semester and A FULL course load over the summers.

So my question is how much will these softs improve my chances of admission/scholarship offers (wishful thinking, I know) to UVA or GULC? These are the only 2 t14 schools I am applying to because they offer the dual degree I want. LSP has me as a weak consider for UVA and a consider for GULC.

Thoughts?

BigZuck

Re: 3.85 gpa, 162, non-trad splitter

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 pm

They almost certainly won't make a difference. You might get in based on the GPA but it'll be prohibitively expensive unless you have a rich benefactor paying your way or military benefits or something like that. Gotta retake.

What's the dual degree program that you're interested in?

mntaylor

Postby mntaylor » Tue May 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Masters public health + health law. If I get in though, wouldn't the incredible job prospects outweigh the extra debt? Should I even bother applying when I already know I can get a full ride to my current university's law school (which is a T1)?

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:00 pm

mntaylor wrote: Should I even bother applying when I already know I can get a full ride to my current university's law school (which is a T1)?

Why do you say I know? Have you already applied?

Bad advice to say OP will get in....he is below median GPA so that will not overcome being 4 points below the bottom 25% LSAT

mntaylor

Postby mntaylor » Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Broncos15 wrote:
mntaylor wrote: Should I even bother applying when I already know I can get a full ride to my current university's law school (which is a T1)?

Bad advice to say OP will get in....he is below median GPA so that will not overcome being 4 points below the bottom 25% LSAT

1-I know I will be offered a full-ride because I've spoken to our dean of admissions, and my numbers are above the median (just above for lsat, far above for GPA). And I am a she, not a he ;)

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:40 pm

mntaylor wrote:
Broncos15 wrote:

1-I know I will be offered a full-ride because I've spoken to our dean of admissions, and my numbers are above the median (just above for lsat, far above for GPA). And I am a she, not a he ;)

Sorry should have rephrased that! UVA's median GPA ( 3.85) is slightly higher than yours while their bottom 25% LSAT is a 166

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Your softs will make very, very little difference. You should retake the LSAT, try to score 167+, and then apply to GULC & UVA. If your current school is offering you a full ride and is in the region you hope to work in after law school, you can seriously consider that as well.

KMart

Postby KMart » Wed May 13, 2015 3:41 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Your softs will make very, very little difference. You should retake the LSAT, try to score 167+, and then apply to GULC & UVA. If your current school is offering you a full ride and is in the region you hope to work in after law school, you can seriously consider that as well.

This is solid advice.

Softs likely come in when they have two identical applicants and they need to make a decision. Are they going to choose the bum who sat on his couch and did nothing or the mother who is published? They won't get you in anywhere your numbers wouldn't make you competitive at.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Am I correct in assuming by your phrasing that you have yet to apply? If so, you have time before the next cycle and should jump on that retake. If that dual degree is important to you and UVA and GULC really are your only options (I have no knowledge of that), you need a better LSAT score to help your odds.

KM and Zuck are right. Your softs are a tiebreaker at best.

Blue0613

................................................................................................................

Postby Blue0613 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:56 pm

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Wed May 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Blue0613 wrote:.

Congrats on the great outcomes. You considerably outperformed your numbers based on what I've seen over the past few cycles.

In terms of your advice to the OP against a retake, just want to make sure - by chance, are you a URM? The OP stated that she is not.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Wed May 13, 2015 4:30 pm

mntaylor wrote:So as the title says, I am a non-traditional applicant (33, mother to two children) and am currently in undergrad at a large public university. I am not a URM. I have what I consider pretty good softs: great letters, published research (listed as first author) in a peer-reviewed journal in my field of undergraduate study, and a positive GPA trend (all A's for my last 3 semesters). Additionally, I have had a very strenuous schedule my entire time at my university with a minimum of 18 credits a semester and A FULL course load over the summers.

So my question is how much will these softs improve my chances of admission/scholarship offers (wishful thinking, I know) to UVA or GULC? These are the only 2 t14 schools I am applying to because they offer the dual degree I want. LSP has me as a weak consider for UVA and a consider for GULC.

Thoughts?

You can split the degrees. There was a guy in my class splitting with Johns Hopkins. That might give you a bit more leeway(though with children, travel may be prohibitive).

Blue0613

Postby Blue0613 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:40 pm

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Wed May 13, 2015 9:55 pm

That probably makes a pretty big difference.

justkeepswimming794

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:45 pm

KMart wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:Your softs will make very, very little difference. You should retake the LSAT, try to score 167+, and then apply to GULC & UVA. If your current school is offering you a full ride and is in the region you hope to work in after law school, you can seriously consider that as well.

This is solid advice.

Softs likely come in when they have two identical applicants and they need to make a decision. Are they going to choose the bum who sat on his couch and did nothing or the mother who is published? They won't get you in anywhere your numbers wouldn't make you competitive at.

while it would definitely be a better idea to try to improve your lsat for those schools, I do know personally that softs can and do make a difference - some of the time. it is nothing to rely on. but if you can get fee waivers for schools and want to apply now just to see, I don't see the harm in that. I had a 3.85 UG, and an lsat score that would make TLSers literally laugh out loud, and I got $$ at several T25 schools. I realize the T14 is different, but I am saying that it does happen. it is true that it is always a numbers game, but its not always to your disadvantage. for example, i go to a school that establishes their median lsat, so it really didn't matter that my score was so bad once they had that median set. I helped with their average GPA, etc.

just fwiw, everyone is right - you are better off trying to retake the lsat and get $ to go to the schools you listed if you really want those programs. but if the costs of applying are little-nothing, I don't really see a downside if you're super keen on doing this now. you can always reapply

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 15, 2015 10:44 pm

You have a PHD and you're positive you maxed out at a 163? I find that very hard to believe unless you have a learning disability, and the fact that your softs got you that far show how easily you could get HYS/full rides if you got your LSAT up

Return to “What are my chances?”