Law/Urban Planning Chance Me

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lolcats95

Law/Urban Planning Chance Me

Postby lolcats95 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm a graduating senior thinking of applying to law schools after working for a large consulting firm's operations in Mexico for a year. Here are my stats:

3.63 GPA
171 LSAT
Cornell grad

I'm also an URM (Spanish & Mexican) and LGBTQ+ (gay), which I have heard both help in law school admissions. I was also wondering if having dual citizenship (US/Mexico) can somehow be used to my advantage? Over the past few summers, I have completed a marketing internship and two compliance internships, and will be working for a consulting firm's HR department doing compliance for their international operations (US-Mexico) next year while I apply to law schools. Throughout my undergrad career, I have held many influential positions on campus in regards to policymaking that I won't specify here to protect my anonymity.

Anyways, I would prefer to get a dual degree in law and urban planning. Thus, given my stats and my goals, I was thinking about UPenn, Berkeley, Cornell, and Georgetown as possible choices.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Law/Urban Planning Chance Me

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 11, 2015 2:52 pm

You'll likely have a lot of success in the admissions process. A lot of t14 scholarships, likely some fulls, and a good shot at HYS as well. However, I think you should definitely take some time to decide what it is you want to do. If you want to do Urban Planning, pursue that. If you want to be an attorney, go to law school. I don't think there is going to much utility at all in the dual degree.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 11, 2015 3:01 pm

As for your chances of admission, I may be wrong, but I think it might be illegal for any law school to deny you admission.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:39 pm

You'll be fine.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon May 11, 2015 4:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:As for your chances of admission, I may be wrong, but I think it might be illegal for any law school to deny you admission.

:lol:

OP, you'll do great. Good job. Blanket the T14; you should really have a great, great cycle.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 pm

MA or PhD in urban planning?

You won't have trouble on the JD end, or with an unfunded masters. For a funded PhD in urban planning, you never know; competition is fierce (like <3% acceptance at top programs) and URM/LSAT won't help you. Depends on the quality of your references, faculty connections, and research proposal.

lolcats95

Postby lolcats95 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:MA or PhD in urban planning?

You won't have trouble on the JD end, or with an unfunded masters. For a funded PhD in urban planning, you never know; competition is fierce (like <3% acceptance at top programs) and URM/LSAT won't help you. Depends on the quality of your references, faculty connections, and research proposal.

I would be getting a masters in urban planning. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I developed a relationship with a professor in the department of urban and regional studies at Cornell, which is considered the top program for urban planning in the country.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 pm

GRE is a piece of cake next to LSAT

You'll be fine

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 pm

I second considering what you really want to do and why you think you need a combo JD/planning degree to do it. Jobs that really combine the two will be rare and hard to come by, and also probably mostly in non-profits (read: low pay).

Return to “What are my chances?”