Particular legacy question

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dvrnpf
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Particular legacy question

Postby dvrnpf » Thu May 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Hey team, maybe a weird question here.

I know legacy status is really a *mostly* useless soft, but I'm curious about a case in which they might weigh more. Say someone has an aunt and uncle, but not parents, who are double alums at a T4 and donate in the millions, close w/ the dean and pres, etc. Still useless? cheers

togoornottogo
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby togoornottogo » Thu May 07, 2015 2:44 pm

TTTT, or HYSC?

If former then a pulse should suffice.

Effingham
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby Effingham » Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 pm

there are always going to be situations where legacy status could matter for a T4 (assuming HYS and Colombia/Chicago for some reason). But, I don't know why the people that it could possibly matter to are on TLS instead of out on their yacht.

dvrnpf
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby dvrnpf » Thu May 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Effingham wrote:there are always going to be situations where legacy status could matter for a T4 (assuming HYS and Colombia/Chicago for some reason). But, I don't know why the people that it could possibly matter to are on TLS instead of out on their yacht.


because aunt/uncle, not parents :wink:

User avatar
Clyde Frog
Posts: 7154
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri May 08, 2015 5:15 am

dvrnpf wrote:
Effingham wrote:there are always going to be situations where legacy status could matter for a T4 (assuming HYS and Colombia/Chicago for some reason). But, I don't know why the people that it could possibly matter to are on TLS instead of out on their yacht.


because aunt/uncle, not parents :wink:


If your aunt and uncle aren't hooking you up already and you're asking us on here if you should use them as a reference then it probably won't work.

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat May 09, 2015 5:06 pm

dvrnpf wrote:Hey team, maybe a weird question here.

I know legacy status is really a *mostly* useless soft, but I'm curious about a case in which they might weigh more. Say someone has an aunt and uncle, but not parents, who are double alums at a T4 and donate in the millions, close w/ the dean and pres, etc. Still useless? cheers


If you mean top 4 I really, really hope it doesn't have an impact (not hatin OP and I hope you get in, it's just that it would be a shame if anything besides merit determined one's entrance to the best schools in the country!). If you mean tier 4 then as someone else said I doubt you'll need the boost.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby nothingtosee » Sat May 09, 2015 5:20 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
dvrnpf wrote:Hey team, maybe a weird question here.

I know legacy status is really a *mostly* useless soft, but I'm curious about a case in which they might weigh more. Say someone has an aunt and uncle, but not parents, who are double alums at a T4 and donate in the millions, close w/ the dean and pres, etc. Still useless? cheers


If you mean top 4 I really, really hope it doesn't have an impact (not hatin OP and I hope you get in, it's just that it would be a shame if anything besides merit determined one's entrance to the best schools in the country!). If you mean tier 4 then as someone else said I doubt you'll need the boost.


This is silly. If Mr. and Mrs. Nepotism spread around a juicy 5 million dollar check through merit scholarships to subsidize all the booklearners for the sake of their underperforming snowflake, everybody wins.

But seriously - it depends on if they've already cashed in their nepotism check. Do they have any children attending the school in question?

User avatar
RunnerRunner
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat May 09, 2015 6:48 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:
dvrnpf wrote:Hey team, maybe a weird question here.

I know legacy status is really a *mostly* useless soft, but I'm curious about a case in which they might weigh more. Say someone has an aunt and uncle, but not parents, who are double alums at a T4 and donate in the millions, close w/ the dean and pres, etc. Still useless? cheers


If you mean top 4 I really, really hope it doesn't have an impact (not hatin OP and I hope you get in, it's just that it would be a shame if anything besides merit determined one's entrance to the best schools in the country!). If you mean tier 4 then as someone else said I doubt you'll need the boost.


This is silly. If Mr. and Mrs. Nepotism spread around a juicy 5 million dollar check through merit scholarships to subsidize all the booklearners for the sake of their underperforming snowflake, everybody wins.

But seriously - it depends on if they've already cashed in their nepotism check. Do they have any children attending the school in question?


That's not how it works though. It's not like OP's aunt/uncle decided to donate in case one day their brother/sister's kid would apply to law school.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 10, 2015 2:00 am

How would they even know you're their nephew anyway? Are you gonna write an addendum saying I have a rich uncle pls admit me?

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby chuckbass » Sun May 10, 2015 8:18 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
dvrnpf wrote:
Effingham wrote:there are always going to be situations where legacy status could matter for a T4 (assuming HYS and Colombia/Chicago for some reason). But, I don't know why the people that it could possibly matter to are on TLS instead of out on their yacht.


because aunt/uncle, not parents :wink:


If your aunt and uncle aren't hooking you up already and you're asking us on here if you should use them as a reference then it probably won't work.

This. If this was going to work, I think you would already know.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby usn26 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:40 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:How would they even know you're their nephew anyway? Are you gonna write an addendum saying I have a rich uncle pls admit me?


Why X opening line: "Ever since my aunt and uncle invited me to see the opening of your law library that they paid for, I knew I wanted to study law at ____."

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 10, 2015 10:44 am

OP: If your last name, or more importantly, if your aunt & uncle's last name is Rubenstein & you're applying to Chicago, I think that you have a better than average chance of admission.

WhatCouldHaveBeen
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon May 11, 2015 3:31 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
dvrnpf wrote:
Effingham wrote:there are always going to be situations where legacy status could matter for a T4 (assuming HYS and Colombia/Chicago for some reason). But, I don't know why the people that it could possibly matter to are on TLS instead of out on their yacht.


because aunt/uncle, not parents :wink:


If your aunt and uncle aren't hooking you up already and you're asking us on here if you should use them as a reference then it probably won't work.

This. If this was going to work, I think you would already know.


+1. You should be talking to your moneybags fam so they can write those letters and set up a lunch with you and them and the dean of admissions, quit wasting your time with us.

And anyone who thinks all t14 schools don't have people getting in every year because of who their family is lives on a planet not named Reality. I know people who have gotten into t14 schools with shit stats because of who their family is and when that family has zero connection with the law school. Why? Because schools hope these trust fund megastars will have the time of their lives and then give them tons of money in the years that follow. Bill Gates didn't go to law school but do you think his kids would get denied anywhere (I recognize this is a bad example because his kids are probably smart AF).

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby downbeat14 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:13 pm

No offense OP, but I hope you get in for your stats and that nepotism plays no role. That being said, no one can blame u for taking advantage of your connections. However, if you do end up getting an opportunity that you don't really deserve based on merit, just don't squander it.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon May 11, 2015 4:17 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:
dvrnpf wrote:Hey team, maybe a weird question here.

I know legacy status is really a *mostly* useless soft, but I'm curious about a case in which they might weigh more. Say someone has an aunt and uncle, but not parents, who are double alums at a T4 and donate in the millions, close w/ the dean and pres, etc. Still useless? cheers


If you mean top 4 I really, really hope it doesn't have an impact (not hatin OP and I hope you get in, it's just that it would be a shame if anything besides merit determined one's entrance to the best schools in the country!). If you mean tier 4 then as someone else said I doubt you'll need the boost.


This is silly. If Mr. and Mrs. Nepotism spread around a juicy 5 million dollar check through merit scholarships to subsidize all the booklearners for the sake of their underperforming snowflake, everybody wins.

But seriously - it depends on if they've already cashed in their nepotism check. Do they have any children attending the school in question?


That's not how it works though. It's not like OP's aunt/uncle decided to donate in case one day their brother/sister's kid would apply to law school.


nepotism is exactly why people donate

User avatar
Clyde Frog
Posts: 7154
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon May 11, 2015 4:58 pm

OP is probably a loser who failed out of college. Why does this thread even have any life still? OP never posted any numbers and it sounds like his aunt and uncle don't even know he exists.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby 071816 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:24 pm

NEPOTISM GAME STRONG WEAK
Last edited by 071816 on Mon May 11, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby KMart » Mon May 11, 2015 5:47 pm

usn26 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:How would they even know you're their nephew anyway? Are you gonna write an addendum saying I have a rich uncle pls admit me?


Why X opening line: "Ever since my aunt and uncle invited me to see the opening of your law library that they paid for, I knew I wanted to study law at ____."

:lol: +1. I'd add in the conclusion, "I can't imagine how many students my aunt and uncle had a direct impact in helping by providing a brand new library, but I am excited to learn under their name".

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Particular legacy question

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Lol




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chargers21, Google [Bot] and 4 guests