2.91 GPA/157 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
justdroppingby

2.91 GPA/157 LSAT

Postby justdroppingby » Thu May 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Mediocre GPA and LSAT score. I've been working as a legal assistant for the past 5 years in a smallish (but well known locally) commercial real estate firm. Trying to move on up the food chain. Does it matter when I took the LSAT if the score is still valid? My score is from June 2011.

Mainly focused on part-time evening program at American University (or comparable school in the DC/MD/VA area) but would be open to moving back to NNJ for Rutgers/Seton Hall or the like. Can get a great recommendation and/or evaluation (should I get both?) from my current employer.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Traynor Brah

Re: 2.91 GPA/157 LSAT

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu May 07, 2015 1:33 pm

for the love of allah do not go to american

Go to the cheapest school possible while keeping your full time job. When attending part time and not gunning for biglaw/sexy outcomes, the school is effectively irrelevant so long as it is in the region you want to practice in. If you can't find an option that allows you to graduate with no more than ~50-60K in debt, then don't do it. This is very likely going to require you to do better on the lsat.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 pm

For the love of everything don't go to law school at all.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Do you have a guaranteed position with your current employer after graduation from law school? If you do, just focus on minimizing debt through a retake/scholarships. If you don't, you've got a tough road ahead of you with that gpa. You'll likely need a 170+ but even then you'd be facing down ridiculous debt totals to go to a school that has decent employment outcomes. Realistically speaking, you may want to consider other professions.

justdroppingby

Postby justdroppingby » Thu May 07, 2015 1:39 pm

What's the beef with American? I reckoned I could go there part time, keep my day job, graduate without being completely saddled with unbearable debt... bad idea?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu May 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Oh I just realized you're only just applying. Retake the LSAT. Your GPA is on the low end for AU and you're definitely not guaranteed admission. The recommendation won't matter, it's all grades and LSAT and you can't change your grades.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 07, 2015 1:44 pm

justdroppingby wrote:What's the beef with American? I reckoned I could go there part time, keep my day job, graduate without being completely saddled with unbearable debt... bad idea?

Less than a coin-flip's chance at getting a legal position after graduation. A very high percentage chance at graduating with a crushing 200k+ nondischargable debt load

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Thu May 07, 2015 1:45 pm

justdroppingby wrote:What's the beef with American? I reckoned I could go there part time, keep my day job, graduate without being completely saddled with unbearable debt... bad idea?

The beef is that, with your numbers, you are likely to come out with an ungodly amount of debt, probably to tune of 100k+. With your numbers and part-time, you are most likely to get $0 in scholarship. If you get scholarship, it will be very negligible. Please, retake and consider forging a different career path with your current situation.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Are you dead set on going PT? You could increase that LSAT score to 165-ish and get a huge scholly to some of the other regional schools in the Northeast, which might be a reasonable alternate option to what you're considering. I agree with everyone else, unless you are guaranteed employment following graduation and bar passage, going to American at any cost, is a waste. Less than a 50/50 shot at actually practicing law, and they're sitngy with scholarship money. Why not retake and re-evaluate whether PT is the way to go? You could go FT for much cheaper and, probably, have more legitimate job prospects.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri May 08, 2015 1:26 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/american/2014/

54.6% - 9.6% school funded = 45% employment score. Only 45% of the graduating class gets any lawyer job worth giving a shit about. 8.7% of the class actually get a job that pays well enough to pay back the debt.

Return to “What are my chances?”