Only about YHS and CCN - softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BigZuck

Re: Only about YHS and CCN - softs

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 07, 2015 10:45 pm

passwordisdoge wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Just your general insufferableness, etc.

kewl 8)

why you mad tho

I'm chill bro, I'm on your side

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 07, 2015 10:58 pm

albpert wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:These softs are not above the average T6 student IME (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU). Probably on par

Really? Pretty sure the average HYS student is somewhere in the range of k-jd with an alternative spring break to having worked at Deloitte for a year. The average HYS student couldn't get a job at Google.

Idk, maybe few have the combination of the fellowship and the work, but one or the other is common. I have several classmates who worked at Google. Same goes for Morgan Stanley/GS/McKinsey/ect. A few with fellowships and other graduate degrees or high profile non-profit or policy. Not many people coming straight from cashier at yogurtland, is all I'm saying (although no hit against wage work intended - hell, I worked in a restaurant a while back.) Needless to say, most of the class comes from a fancy college too.

K-JD is a different situation obviously. I'm not really comparing the ~1/3 of the class that's straight through to people who are a few years out. I also feel uncomfortable talking about "average" students in that way, as though we have some objective indicator when we're really just spitting shit.

I'm not trying to undervalue OP's softs, more just saying that you pull a random student his or her age at chicago or harvard or columbia and they'll have a similar profile -- and higher numbers.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Thu May 07, 2015 11:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:Since there's seems to be debate in this thread about the quality of OP's softs I'd just say lets remember they are asking about YHSCCN, not just YHS. Honestly, passwordisdoge I think your softs are way above average for CCN. They're probably above average for H too, and certainly would at least get you a second look at YS if you had higher numbers. The vast majority of people in law school are 0 - 3 years out of undergrad. That's not enough time to do anything too crazy (usually), and spending that time doing a Fulbright, working at google, and working in the White House (as President, apparently, :lol: ) is nothing to sneeze at. If OP is out anywhere it is because of numbers. So... go kill the LSAT OP!

These softs are not above the average T6 student IME (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU). Probably on par

hmm. let's investigate this:

(200+560+180+350+450+190)*3=5,790 students at YHSCCN

are you seriously claiming that 5,790/2=2,895 students of YHSCCN have at least as good soft factors as fulbright+google+white house?

frankly, that's outrageous.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 pm

albpert wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:These softs are not above the average T6 student IME (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU). Probably on par

Really? Pretty sure the average HYS student is somewhere in the range of k-jd with an alternative spring break to having worked at Deloitte for a year.

Maybe that's true of the average H student, but I don't think that's true of the average Y or S student.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu May 07, 2015 11:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:Since there's seems to be debate in this thread about the quality of OP's softs I'd just say lets remember they are asking about YHSCCN, not just YHS. Honestly, passwordisdoge I think your softs are way above average for CCN. They're probably above average for H too, and certainly would at least get you a second look at YS if you had higher numbers. The vast majority of people in law school are 0 - 3 years out of undergrad. That's not enough time to do anything too crazy (usually), and spending that time doing a Fulbright, working at google, and working in the White House (as President, apparently, :lol: ) is nothing to sneeze at. If OP is out anywhere it is because of numbers. So... go kill the LSAT OP!

These softs are not above the average T6 student IME (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU). Probably on par

Agree grouping should be HCCN, strongly disagree that a Fulbright and working in Google's legal dept are not significantly above average. Most HCCN admits are like the poster above said, kids with strong numbers and "neat" softs. Sure there are standouts, but out of the 50 or so people whose background I know, only 2 or 3 have stronger softs than OP.

It is inconceivable to be that 1/2 the class at Columbia has softs stronger than OP's.

hokuspokus

Postby hokuspokus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:25 pm

My experience has been that law school admission is mostly about numbers. I could easily see HCCN taking someone straight out of college but with a higher LSAT than you (maybe at their 75th percentile, so they can boost their reported numbers). Top law schools want to funnel students to the big firms, who mostly care about numbers and not much else.

I loled at the debate over how "impressive" your softs are. You obviously sound like an accomplished and intelligent person, but your experience won't help you as much as you think it will in terms of law school admissions. But they'll go a long way in making you a much wiser law student than your younger peers. Honestly I'd encourage you to look at lower T-14s and maybe even T-20s. You're much more likely to get scholarships at those schools.

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:14 pm

dude worked at google legal, not as a software programmer. going off my section in H, these would be strictly average softs (taking out the K-JD crowd). add the fulbright and it breaks in top-third (as much from a quantity of experience as opposed to quality of experience POV), but barely, and i guarantee no one at H will bat an eyelash.

my impression is that a 3.65 will be hard to overcome sans URM status, but i defer to LSN on this.

Return to “What are my chances?”