Only about YHS and CCN - softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
passwordisdoge

Only about YHS and CCN - softs

Postby passwordisdoge » Wed May 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Hey,

I know the website mylsn, I'm not asking for a graph I can do that on my own. I'm asking because I need to where I stand at admittance at these places considering my situation as it stands today. My questions are: What do I need to score on the retake for admittance? Where do I stand now?

LSDAS GPA: 3.66
LSAT: 169 (retaking in October - no need for that speech)

Softs:
Fulbright
Google Legal employee (1 year)
Last edited by passwordisdoge on Wed May 06, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bretby

Re: Only about YHS and CCN - softs

Postby bretby » Wed May 06, 2015 3:54 pm

passwordisdoge wrote:Hey,

I know the website mylsn, I'm not asking for a graph I can do that on my own. I'm asking because I need to where I stand at admittance at these places considering my situation as it stands today. My questions are: What do I need to score on the retake for admittance? Where do I stand now?

LSDAS GPA: 3.66
LSAT: 169 (retaking in October - no need for that speech)

Softs:
Fulbright
Google Legal employee (1 year)
White House alum

Your GPA is low, and your softs, while good, are not amazing. So, where you stand today, I'd say that your chances are not very good.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed May 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Hey OP! Looks like you have solid softs. Unfortunately at 3.66/169 I wouldn't put you as likely at any of YHSCCN right now, just because you are below both GPA and LSAT median for all of them, which is always an uphill battle. You are never going to be a sure thing at any of these schools because of the GPA, but if you raise your score to a 172+ I think you have a very solid chance at NYU, 174+ for Columbia. This would also give you a fighting shot at Chicago, but I know they LOVE their GPA numbers so who knows. For Harvard I think you'll have to blow them away with your LSAT. Help their 75th percentile (175+) and I could see them admitting you. YS seems unlikely, but in fairness they are unlikely for everyone. They love GPA but they also love interesting softs. Get as close to 180 as possible and start praying :lol:

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed May 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Currently you're out everywhere except NYU, and NYU is not a lock.

GPA is going to keep you out of Yale and most likely Stanford no matter what.

I'd say 176 for a reasonable shot at H, though a 175 might do it. Your softs are not great, but one applicants with High LSAT and Low GPA are affected by softs a lot more than other candidates. Study hard for the retake, you could even get some money at CCN.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:08 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say you have very above average/bordering on great softs-BUT so does a sizable group at HYS and less sizable but decent group at CCN. It's a numbers games frankly and softs will almost never save you. Retake for an outsidish shot at H and im sorry but Y and likely S are foreclosed

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Wed May 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Your softs are not great

my feels...

I appreciate the candor. So from what it seems Y and S are basically out - which is fine I'll still throw an app to Y. But with a successful retake there may be possibilities. Any thoughts on the next 8 of the t14?

abl

Postby abl » Wed May 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Research Fulbright or teaching Fulbright? There's a big difference.

If you have a research Fulbright, your softs are on par or slightly above average for YS (e.g., you won't stand out as being particularly impressive or unimpressive). If your Fulbright is a teaching Fulbright, your softs are slightly below average for YS (and maybe average for H). With below average grades, a below average LSAT, and average(ish) softs, you're probably out at YS unless there's something you're not telling us. For similar reasons, I'd guess you're out at Harvard and CCN also, although a waitlist in one of those places wouldn't shock me.

Some of this depends on where you went to undergrad and how compelling of a package you put together. 3.66 at Amherst is much more impressive than 3.66 at Bowling Green. How does your Fulbright tie together with your interest in law? What does the rest of your undergrad resume look like? (I'd assume that you've done some other impressive resume things--as even teaching Fulbrights can be pretty competitive.)

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances. Likely no chance at YS regardless of LSAT score, the rest can be assessed by plugging in different numbers on mylsn.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:40 pm

What is "White House alum"?

Are you a former President?

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Wed May 06, 2015 4:42 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:What is "White House alum"?

Are you a former President?

yes

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Wed May 06, 2015 4:44 pm

abl wrote:Research Fulbright or teaching Fulbright? There's a big difference.

If you have a research Fulbright, your softs are on par or slightly above average for YS (e.g., you won't stand out as being particularly impressive or unimpressive). If your Fulbright is a teaching Fulbright, your softs are slightly below average for YS (and maybe average for H). With below average grades, a below average LSAT, and average(ish) softs, you're probably out at YS unless there's something you're not telling us. For similar reasons, I'd guess you're out at Harvard and CCN also, although a waitlist in one of those places wouldn't shock me.

Some of this depends on where you went to undergrad and how compelling of a package you put together. 3.66 at Amherst is much more impressive than 3.66 at Bowling Green. How does your Fulbright tie together with your interest in law? What does the rest of your undergrad resume look like? (I'd assume that you've done some other impressive resume things--as even teaching Fulbrights can be pretty competitive.)

research

also I totally understand the package/narrative aspect. I think, without getting into it, I have a compelling package. Also came from a great liberal arts college that is well respected. (On par with Amherst, but not saying which)

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed May 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Can't speak for Y/S, but your softs are above average for H as a whole. Doesn't mean they'll get you in the door tho. H is huge and here are lots of people here who have great numbers, a few years of work experience, and that's it. Your softs are better than that.

3.66/176+ and your odds are better than 50/50 at H, assuming a decent interview and an early application.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Since there's seems to be debate in this thread about the quality of OP's softs I'd just say lets remember they are asking about YHSCCN, not just YHS. Honestly, passwordisdoge I think your softs are way above average for CCN. They're probably above average for H too, and certainly would at least get you a second look at YS if you had higher numbers. The vast majority of people in law school are 0 - 3 years out of undergrad. That's not enough time to do anything too crazy (usually), and spending that time doing a Fulbright, working at google, and working in the White House (as President, apparently, :lol: ) is nothing to sneeze at. If OP is out anywhere it is because of numbers. So... go kill the LSAT OP!

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Wed May 06, 2015 9:24 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Since there's seems to be debate in this thread about the quality of OP's softs I'd just say lets remember they are asking about YHSCCN, not just YHS. Honestly, passwordisdoge I think your softs are way above average for CCN. They're probably above average for H too, and certainly would at least get you a second look at YS if you had higher numbers. The vast majority of people in law school are 0 - 3 years out of undergrad. That's not enough time to do anything too crazy (usually), and spending that time doing a Fulbright, working at google, and working in the White House (as President, apparently, :lol: ) is nothing to sneeze at. If OP is out anywhere it is because of numbers. So... go kill the LSAT OP!

+1

I was a great President.

Looks like that LSAT must be killed - 180 here we go...

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Wed May 06, 2015 10:04 pm

How in the world is a fulbright a "just above average" soft. I thought getting a Fulbright is like HOLY CRAP level of soft, on par with a Rhodes/Marshall?

Also, you're prob out at HYSCC with that 169, get it to a 172 and you're getting looks at CC and possibly the other 3, though prob dings regardless. A 174 and you're getting full rides/ acceptances to at least CCN and possibly H.

GPA seems a bit too low for YS.

Also, to hijack a little bit, how does LS admissions view a masters degree in policy from a top school? Anyone know?

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Wed May 06, 2015 11:44 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:How in the world is a fulbright a "just above average" soft. I thought getting a Fulbright is like HOLY CRAP level of soft, on par with a Rhodes/Marshall?

Naw, it's not even in the same galaxy as a Rhodes/Marshall. There are like 30 Rhodes Scholars per year and it is one of the single most impressive softs there is. Marshall is similar though less prestigious with around 40 per year. In comparison, there are something like 8,000 Fulbright grants given annually (not all in the U.S., but you get the picture). It's still competitive, and OP's is particularly impressive because it is research, but it's not on the same level (I'm saying this as someone with a Fulbright-level soft, and I have no problem saying my application would look like shit next to a Rhodes scholar).

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Thu May 07, 2015 12:00 am

RunnerRunner wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:How in the world is a fulbright a "just above average" soft. I thought getting a Fulbright is like HOLY CRAP level of soft, on par with a Rhodes/Marshall?

Naw, it's not even in the same galaxy as a Rhodes/Marshall. There are like 30 Rhodes Scholars per year and it is one of the single most impressive softs there is. Marshall is similar though less prestigious with around 40 per year. In comparison, there are something like 8,000 Fulbright grants given annually (not all in the U.S., but you get the picture). It's still competitive, and OP's is particularly impressive because it is research, but it's not on the same level (I'm saying this as someone with a Fulbright-level soft, and I have no problem saying my application would look like shit next to a Rhodes scholar).

Yeah but a Rhodes shouldn't be going to law school. They already have a Rhodes. Also don't underplay the Marshall. That shit is tight

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu May 07, 2015 6:53 am

passwordisdoge wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:

Yeah but a Rhodes shouldn't be going to law school. They already have a Rhodes. Also don't underplay the Marshall. That shit is tight

This guy sounds like a troll

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
passwordisdoge wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:

This guy sounds like a troll

lol how

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 07, 2015 2:24 pm

It's just hard for some people to imagine that a real person is on the other end clicking those keys. Just your general insufferableness, etc.

I believe you're real bro, don't worry.

everton125

Postby everton125 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:33 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Hey OP! Looks like you have solid softs. Unfortunately at 3.66/169 I wouldn't put you as likely at any of YHSCCN right now, just because you are below both GPA and LSAT median for all of them, which is always an uphill battle. You are never going to be a sure thing at any of these schools because of the GPA, but if you raise your score to a 172+ I think you have a very solid chance at NYU, 174+ for Columbia. This would also give you a fighting shot at Chicago, but I know they LOVE their GPA numbers so who knows. For Harvard I think you'll have to blow them away with your LSAT. Help their 75th percentile (175+) and I could see them admitting you. YS seems unlikely, but in fairness they are unlikely for everyone. They love GPA but they also love interesting softs. Get as close to 180 as possible and start praying :lol:

OP likely does not need a 174 to get into Columbia. I have the same GPA and got in with a 173, and actually MYLSN would give him about a 75% chance of getting in with around 3.66/173. 174 would likely seal the deal, however, particularly with his softs.

passwordisdoge

Postby passwordisdoge » Thu May 07, 2015 3:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:Just your general insufferableness, etc.

kewl 8)

why you mad tho

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Thu May 07, 2015 9:36 pm

everton125 wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:Hey OP! Looks like you have solid softs. Unfortunately at 3.66/169 I wouldn't put you as likely at any of YHSCCN right now, just because you are below both GPA and LSAT median for all of them, which is always an uphill battle. You are never going to be a sure thing at any of these schools because of the GPA, but if you raise your score to a 172+ I think you have a very solid chance at NYU, 174+ for Columbia. This would also give you a fighting shot at Chicago, but I know they LOVE their GPA numbers so who knows. For Harvard I think you'll have to blow them away with your LSAT. Help their 75th percentile (175+) and I could see them admitting you. YS seems unlikely, but in fairness they are unlikely for everyone. They love GPA but they also love interesting softs. Get as close to 180 as possible and start praying :lol:

OP likely does not need a 174 to get into Columbia. I have the same GPA and got in with a 173, and actually MYLSN would give him about a 75% chance of getting in with around 3.66/173. 174 would likely seal the deal, however, particularly with his softs.

Really? I find that surprising since 3.66 is below their 25th. Guess that's feasible though: with a class size that large it's probably hard to find enough high LSATs to maintain their median.

ETA: Scratch that, must have been thinking of their GPA median. Columbia's 25th is at 3.58 now apparently, so the above makes total sense.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Since there's seems to be debate in this thread about the quality of OP's softs I'd just say lets remember they are asking about YHSCCN, not just YHS. Honestly, passwordisdoge I think your softs are way above average for CCN. They're probably above average for H too, and certainly would at least get you a second look at YS if you had higher numbers. The vast majority of people in law school are 0 - 3 years out of undergrad. That's not enough time to do anything too crazy (usually), and spending that time doing a Fulbright, working at google, and working in the White House (as President, apparently, :lol: ) is nothing to sneeze at. If OP is out anywhere it is because of numbers. So... go kill the LSAT OP!

These softs are not above the average T6 student IME (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU). Probably on par

albpert

Postby albpert » Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:These softs are not above the average T6 student IME (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago or NYU). Probably on par

Really? Pretty sure the average HYS student is somewhere in the range of k-jd with an alternative spring break to having worked at Deloitte for a year. The average HYS student couldn't get a job at Google.

Return to “What are my chances?”