3.82 / 175 / Do UG scholarships matter?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ohhsusannah

3.82 / 175 / Do UG scholarships matter?

Postby ohhsusannah » Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

I'm shooting for Columbia. I would love some scholarship money there as well but that's probably a reach with my numbers. I'm in my second year working as a paralegal in nyc and I went to NYU for undergrad, but didn't have a ton of extracurriculars. There's also a slight downward trend in my GPA, if that matters, but just from all As freshman year to a couple of scattered B's the other years. I was awarded a full tuition merit scholarship at NYU undergrad and kept it all four years.

What do you think of my chances at admission/money to Columbia? What about admission to HYS? And also what about admission/money at NYU, does it matter that I went there undergrad and on a fairly prestigious scholarship? And I was awarded the Jefferson at UVA for undergrad but chose NYU instead. Do you think declining the Jefferson/getting it in the first place would have any impact on a law school application to UVA?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance! Hopefully I am raising unique points that haven't been answered here 100 times already.

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: 3.82 / 175 / Do UG scholarships matter?

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 pm

qwertyTLS

Postby qwertyTLS » Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 pm

ohhsusannah wrote:HDo you think declining the Jefferson/getting it in the first place would have any impact on a law school application to UVA?

would have no impact whatsoever. different admissions offices

ohhsusannah

Postby ohhsusannah » Wed May 06, 2015 1:24 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:http://mylsn.info/qc8aym/

You'll be fine.

Thanks!

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:47 pm

Out of HYS I say in at H,..... who knows about the black boxes of Y and S

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:50 pm

ohhsusannah wrote:And also what about admission/money at NYU, does it matter that I went there undergrad and on a fairly prestigious scholarship? And I was awarded the Jefferson at UVA for undergrad but chose NYU instead. Do you think declining the Jefferson/getting it in the first place would have any impact on a law school application to UVA?

1. I think the scholarship is worth mentioning under an "Honors/Awards" section on your resume, but probably won't have much of an impact
2. Definitely wouldn't have an impact.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 06, 2015 2:51 pm

It matters in at least one state--Alabama. Graduates of the University of Alabama Honors College (all undergraduate Honors College students receive scholarship awards during their undergraduate years) are not required to take the LSAT & are offered admission into UA's law school with certain minimum grades. I think that Michigan has, or recently had, a similar admission policy for high achieving UM undergraduates.

With a 3.82/175, you should receive lots of scholarship offers for law schools if you apply to all of the T-14 (although Yale, Harvard & Stanford don't typically award merit scholarships).

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 06, 2015 3:00 pm

If you do not get into at least one of HYS and do not get serious money from several of the rest of the T14, you will be the sort of statistical anomaly that gives the rest of us mere mortals with more down-to-earth numbers a deep sense of satisfaction.

Seriously though you're going to do great. It's nice to be able to give someone an opinion other than "perhaps you should consider not going to law school."

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat May 09, 2015 5:13 pm

ohhsusannah wrote:I'm shooting for Columbia. I would love some scholarship money there as well but that's probably a reach with my numbers.

Nope. Not at all. I have almost the exact same numbers (same LSAT, within .05 of GPA) and got the Butler at Columbia. You'll get money there, likely full ride or close elsewhere, and should snag at least one of YHS. Don't cut corners on your PS etc and you'll be fine :D

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue May 12, 2015 6:09 pm

ohhsusannah wrote:Hi guys,

I'm shooting for Columbia. I would love some scholarship money there as well but that's probably a reach with my numbers. I'm in my second year working as a paralegal in nyc and I went to NYU for undergrad, but didn't have a ton of extracurriculars. There's also a slight downward trend in my GPA, if that matters, but just from all As freshman year to a couple of scattered B's the other years. I was awarded a full tuition merit scholarship at NYU undergrad and kept it all four years.

What do you think of my chances at admission/money to Columbia? What about admission to HYS? And also what about admission/money at NYU, does it matter that I went there undergrad and on a fairly prestigious scholarship? And I was awarded the Jefferson at UVA for undergrad but chose NYU instead. Do you think declining the Jefferson/getting it in the first place would have any impact on a law school application to UVA?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance! Hopefully I am raising unique points that haven't been answered here 100 times already.

nothing is a reach with your numbers

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
ohhsusannah wrote:I'm shooting for Columbia. I would love some scholarship money there as well but that's probably a reach with my numbers.

Nope. Not at all. I have almost the exact same numbers (same LSAT, within .05 of GPA) and got the Butler at Columbia. You'll get money there, likely full ride or close elsewhere, and should snag at least one of YHS. Don't cut corners on your PS etc and you'll be fine :D

Yeah I have nearly -0.2 less than your GPA, similar LSAT and still got a Butler and H. You'll be fine!

Return to “What are my chances?”