Waitlist, Accepted - Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hispaniclaw

Waitlist, Accepted - Chances

Postby Hispaniclaw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Waitlisted at:
Northwestern (on hold)
Cornell (reserve)
Emory (regular)
WUSTL
GW
W&M

161/3.70, non-URM hispanic, strong softs, lgbtq, 3 languages and citizenships, 4yrs WE after undergrad.

I will be writing LOCIs and will try to keep in contact with each school at least once a month. I will also try to visit them over the summer. What do you guys think are my chances of getting in off these waitlists?

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Waitlist, Accepted - Chances

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Retake.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 pm

With a 168/169+ you're looking at really great scholarships at these schools, rather than an outside shot at acceptance.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Yeah, def retake. If you get in off those WLs, it's going to be at some ridiculous price. Sit out the cycle, get that LSAT up, and go to one of these for a price that makes closer to sense.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Retaking is not an option for me, unfortunately.

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:00 pm

ILoveYou wrote:Yeah, def retake. If you get in off those WLs, it's going to be at some ridiculous price. Sit out the cycle, get that LSAT up, and go to one of these for a price that makes closer to sense.

How likely is it that I get in? I'm just trying to have realistic expectations but also need some motivation to write the LOCIs, etc.

Thanks!

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Hispaniclaw wrote:Retaking is not an option for me, unfortunately.

Why is that?

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 pm

This is the part where they ask you how that could possibly be the case.

FWIW, before you even get started on arguing about it be aware that most people generally lose this battle (or would if they were smart enough to realize it.)

Edit: keyboard vomit cleaned up
Last edited by TasmanianToucan on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 pm

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:02 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

Why is that?

Scooped, as always. And they wonder why I don't post much...

Hispaniclaw

Postby Hispaniclaw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:08 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:

This is the part where they ask you how that could possibly be the case.

FWIW, before you even get started on arguing about it be aware that most people generally lose this battle (or would if they were smart enough to realize it.)

Edit: keyboard vomit cleaned up

I PMed you the reason.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:10 pm

This is really difficult to answer for off the WL. I don't know your reasons, but retaking gives you the best chance to get off the WL with good money at these schools, OP.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Excuse me while I try to pull my foot out of my mouth.

OP has a legit reason. Whether or not y'all believe me, it might be helpful to just consider a retake off the table and evaluate his chances with that in mind.

My only input is to look at OBOB's link. Individually, your odds at each school are slim. I'd have to do the math to know for sure, but the odds of your getting into at least one of the schools are probably pretty reasonable.

That said, if you're willing to accept any of those schools at this point you may not have thought through the consequences of doing so. That's a lot of money for an uncertain outcome. Most of those schools are only strong regionally, if at all. Watch out for those employment outcomes before throwing down the big money.

Not trying to be mean. Honest to God.

Smoking Gunner

Postby Smoking Gunner » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:24 am

TasmanianToucan wrote: Individually, your odds at each school are slim. I'd have to do the math to know for sure, but the odds of your getting into at least one of the schools are probably pretty reasonable.

Yeah, that's not how odds work. Each waitlist is independent of the other.

But OP, nobody can really answer this with any degree of certainty. Every cycle is different, and your chances are entirely dependent on the incoming class profile. Based on the decrease in high LSAT scores, I'd bet that splitters have the best shot of getting in off waitlists, as schools will want their LSAT once they shore up their GPAs. All of that's to say that I don't think you have a great shot at getting in off any of these waitlists, but if you do, you'll almost definitely be paying sticker, in which case law school probably isn't a sound investment for you unless money isn't an issue for you.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:55 am

Not all waitlisted applicants are equal, and even from the waitlist, numbers matter. Some schools, like Columbia, NU, and Cornell, reserve quite a few applicants that never really had a shot at being admitted. Here's the mylsn graph for your numbers:

I'd say you have a 30-40% chance of getting into WUSTL, Emory, GW, and W&M off the waitlist, with a <10% chance of any of the T14. Pulling these numbers out of my ass.

Return to “What are my chances?”