179/2.5 URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nmh2089

179/2.5 URM

Postby nmh2089 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:53 pm

The reason my GPA is so low is because of all of the repeated courses. My undergrad GPA is 3.2 but repeating so many courses from my first two years had brought my lsac GPA down significantly. I have a 179 on the lsat, URM (female AA).

I know other factors don't really affect apps much but do you think it will in my case? Seeing as how much my GPA has suffered from lsac? Basically, what do you think I can get into? Is HYS completely out of the picture? T14? Thanks in advance.

RunnerRunner

Re: 179/2.5 URM

Postby RunnerRunner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:20 am

Wow, you are a serious splitter, haha! Congrats on the amazing LSAT score. Your app profile is pretty unique so I really can't say anything confidently aside from no, T14 is definitely not out of the picture. Blanket it and see what you get, I'd wager you get multiple hits.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:36 am

OP what is the discrepancy in the grades between the 3.2 and the 2.5 ?

IS it because your institution only counted the best grade in its GPA calculations rather than all attempts taken in a specific course.

( Just wondering since I am planning on retaking a course I got an A in.....so I can get another A on the transcript but don't want this to backfire)

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:39 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nmh2089

Postby nmh2089 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 am

RunnerRunner wrote:Wow, you are a serious splitter, haha! Congrats on the amazing LSAT score. Your app profile is pretty unique so I really can't say anything confidently aside from no, T14 is definitely not out of the picture. Blanket it and see what you get, I'd wager you get multiple hits.

I hope so! Before I found out about all this LSAC GPA nonsense, I was hoping for H. I know anything is a long shot and nothing is really guaranteed being a splitter but I still had hope. Now I feel like completely giving up. I'm so bummed. But I'm still going to apply everywhere, we'll see how things go!

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:21 am

Here's how I see it--you're above every school's 75th for LSAT and below (nearly?) all schools' 25th for GPA, so numbers-wise you help every school's LSAT and hurt their GPA. But of course, admission to Yale differs greatly from admission to Florida Coastal, even if you have the same impact on their numbers.

Thus, yours is an interesting case where your softs and application materials could make a pretty large impact. You're a URM, which will help across the board. If you have strong softs and can market yourself well in your application, I could see CCN and maybe even Harvard biting, especially if you can create a compelling GPA addendum. At the same time, if you don't put together a good app, you might have trouble with the upper half of the T14.

I imagine there are relatively few (perhaps 50-100 or so) URM applicants every year with a 176+ (75th or higher at all schools), so you are part of a very select group. Give schools a reason to admit you despite your GPA. Best of luck, and keep us posted with how your cycle goes.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:34 am

nmh2089 wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:Wow, you are a serious splitter, haha! Congrats on the amazing LSAT score. Your app profile is pretty unique so I really can't say anything confidently aside from no, T14 is definitely not out of the picture. Blanket it and see what you get, I'd wager you get multiple hits.

I hope so! Before I found out about all this LSAC GPA nonsense, I was hoping for H. I know anything is a long shot and nothing is really guaranteed being a splitter but I still had hope. Now I feel like completely giving up. I'm so bummed. But I'm still going to apply everywhere, we'll see how things go!

Yeah, that is a tough break on the GPA thing but you have no reason to be bummed, or to give up. 6778628 brings up some good points, and I can see a scenario in which you nab H. They need to maintain their 75th percentile, and the amount of applicants with 175+ fell dramatically this year (and of course it was already a very tiny group). That means you are part of two groups that they desperately want: 175+ LSATs and URMs. As 6778628 said your softs/application quality become extremely important now. Sure, you shouldn't count on getting Harvard because it is extremely rare to see a sub 3.0 there, but that doesn't mean you have no chance. And honestly I think you are going a have a great cycle whether you get Harvard or not.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:48 am

When did you take the lsat if you don't mind me asking?

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:09 am

Best of luck!! I would blanket all of the T14

I would imagine your cycle would be nearly impossible to predict with any real certainty......very few 2.5's scoring in the 177+ range.....and within this group there are even fewer URM's so finding similar applicants would be hard.

I still imagine several admits in the T14...I would also add in super regionals for scholly $$ like UT , Vandy, UCLA, WUSTL

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:09 am

Nice LSAT! I'm jealous.

Do you have a reason you needed to retake a bunch of courses?

And not like a "I got a boyfriend" or "joined a sorority" type of reason. =) More of a "I had to finance my own education and worked 40 hours a week" or "my mom got cancer and I had to help her through chemo" type of reason?

The reason I ask is because a well written addendum explaining the discrepancy between your stellar LSAT performance versus your GPA could help you a lot.

eriedoctrine

Postby eriedoctrine » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 am

You have a solid shot at most the of T14.
Slim chance at HYS.

nmh2089

Postby nmh2089 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:09 am

6778628 wrote:Thus, yours is an interesting case where your softs and application materials could make a pretty large impact. You're a URM, which will help across the board. If you have strong softs and can market yourself well in your application, I could see CCN and maybe even Harvard biting, especially if you can create a compelling GPA addendum. At the same time, if you don't put together a good app, you might have trouble with the upper half of the T14.

This is what I'm hoping for. My biggest dilemma right now, other than stressing over my GPA, is figuring out exactly what to write my PS about, if I should attach an addendum, get a relevant job/internship, etc. I want to build up my application as much as I can, but I want to go about it the right way.

ticklemesilly wrote:Nice LSAT! I'm jealous.

Do you have a reason you needed to retake a bunch of courses?

And not like a "I got a boyfriend" or "joined a sorority" type of reason. =) More of a "I had to finance my own education and worked 40 hours a week" or "my mom got cancer and I had to help her through chemo" type of reason?

The reason I ask is because a well written addendum explaining the discrepancy between your stellar LSAT performance versus your GPA could help you a lot.

Honestly, not really. They should really consider, "I was a stupid 18 year old who had no motivation and was lazy, but look, now I get straight A's because, surprise! I'm actually smart" option you could check off/pick as a legitimate compelling story. Anyways, I slacked off, and ended up retaking most all of the courses I failed. My parents did start their own business and to be honest, I was always there, almost obligated to help out, which definitely distracted me from school but I never really thought of that as an excuse? I don't know. I never want to come off sounding desperate or looking for pity when others have real reasons, you know?

Thank you to everyone who answered! I appreciate all the feedback. The only place I really want to go is H. And don't tell me, I already know it's a long shot. But I've got to try, right? Anyways, my concern now is how I can most effectively bulk up my app, not by adding 37392039 different activities and jobs and honors, but good quality things that can really boost me. Any suggestions?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:05 am

You should post in the URM subforum. I think your chances of are even better than folks are saying in this thread. An AA with an LSAT that high is really very rare and I would not be surprised if you end up with a full ride at a T14. I've seen AAs with serious scholarship money at T14s with like a 160 and a high GPA in African American studies or somesuch.

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:49 am

nmh2089 wrote:Honestly, not really. They should really consider, "I was a stupid 18 year old who had no motivation and was lazy, but look, now I get straight A's because, surprise! I'm actually smart" option you could check off/pick as a legitimate compelling story. Anyways, I slacked off, and ended up retaking most all of the courses I failed. My parents did start their own business and to be honest, I was always there, almost obligated to help out, which definitely distracted me from school but I never really thought of that as an excuse? I don't know. I never want to come off sounding desperate or looking for pity when others have real reasons, you know?

Not sure since I've never done it myself, but maybe consider hiring a law school applications advisor/consultant and figure out how to word this in a compelling way.

Atmosphere

Postby Atmosphere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:55 am

Come join us over at the URM forum. YS are pretty much out, H is unlikely, but CCN on down seems prime.

nmh2089

Postby nmh2089 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Atmosphere wrote:Come join us over at the URM forum. YS are pretty much out, H is unlikely, but CCN on down seems prime.
Doritos wrote:You should post in the URM subforum. I think your chances of are even better than folks are saying in this thread. An AA with an LSAT that high is really very rare and I would not be surprised if you end up with a full ride at a T14. I've seen AAs with serious scholarship money at T14s with like a 160 and a high GPA in African American studies or somesuch.

Atmosphere wrote:Come join us over at the URM forum. YS are pretty much out, H is unlikely, but CCN on down seems prime.

Will do, thanks!

Return to “What are my chances?”